Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Terrorism

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

You don't HAVE to believe anything. I now know a professional who is otherwise normal, competent, etc., who is also a flat-earther. To say I was surprised was an understatement. He, for whatever reason, decided to quit believing the earth was round as all our evidence would suggest. If you similarly decide to reject what your eyes, mind, and heart tell you and not believe in God, I can't stop you.

We are made in God's image, but 1/2 animal and 1/2 divine here on earth. I don't fault our nature, (although I most DEFINITELY fault some people's nature :mad:). I'm not surprised people grab their guns and Bibles when their world is collapsing, and in contrast to my more liberal friends, don't think that's a bad thing. I'm more disappointed in the collapse of people's values that often occurs when people find themselves in safety and plenty.

I don't know what you're disagreeing with, but I agree with your statement wholeheartedly.

Are you trying to imply *unrestricted* abortion rights are supported by the majority of the population? I disagree. There aren't many people out there that believe an abortion for any reason should be allowed at any time, but some people try to make it look that way by the questions they ask in the survey. I'm pretty sure I'm as familiar with abortion issues (and statistics) as you are, . Don't make claims that you know aren't true.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

Actually... abortion is society's business. Look around at the country today, the number of single women raising children, the amount of crime, violent crime, drug use deaths, lowering of educational standards... what socially is getting *better* since the great society and legalized abortion began? The point being our social contract with each other in a lot of ways seem to be falling apart. Why is that happening? I'd bet to some degree abortion is responsible, with the message is being "your children aren't important and should be killed because, face it, YOU aren't important and shouldn't reproduce". How much different would it be if women knew their lives would be tough, but at least they'd have a child to love, and the love of that child in return? That as a person they would always have someone for whom they were the most important and necessary person in the world? (well, until they get to high school ... little punks:D:eek::p:rolleyes:;)) ha ha. Anyway, you get my drift.

2. Morgotha

"“The ground of a certain rich man yielded an abundant harvest. 17 He thought to himself, ‘What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.’

18 “Then he said, ‘This is what I’ll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. 19 And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry.”’

20 “But God said to him, ‘You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’

21 “This is how it will be with whoever stores up things for themselves but is not rich toward God.”"

Not to start bashing verses back and forth, but my point being wealth has brought arrogance and idleness since forever. I don't think science, per se, has decreased people's attention towards God, I see it more as a satiety with temporal things that makes one dull to pursuing the spiritual. A good analogy might be that while we were meant to eat and drink, if you eat until your stomach is really full, you won't have any desire to drink, either.

3. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

There is no comparison between your acquaintance’s views about the earth being flat and mine professing God doesn’t exist. That’s what my eyes, mind and heart tell me. If he appears to me on the road to Damascus or anywhere else, I’ll let you know. Wouldn’t it be nice though to have a real fairy god father of sorts.

We can scientifically prove the Earth is NOT flat. We’ve even been to space where Earth has been observed. Once more, the existence of any God can not be scientifically proved. As for you, go on believing, otherwise you may have to acknowledge you’ve been duped your whole life.

1/2 animal and 1/2 divine? Where ever did you come up with that? LOL With most people I’d say it’s more like 98% animal and 2% bull shit, lol or is it the other way around…..:rolleyes: should be with our big brains we could rise against our animalistic natures. In fact, I don’t think animals below us on the food chain kill for the same reasons humans do. They only kill to eat, defend themselves or their young, to establish territory or the like. Can’t say that about the human species. If the world is collapsing and it might very well be literally as well as figuratively, it’s because we did it to ourselves with greed, lust for power, jealousy, fear, disregard for the planet and others. Even in troubled times people find ways to indulge in vice of all sorts. Doesn’t sound very much like divine values come out on top in good or bad times although granted, in good times people have more money and time to pursue questionable pursuits.

That’s easy. You said I shouldn’t hold religious institutions liable for sinners in their midst. I maintain that when the leaders of said institutions are found to be egregiously sinful and nothing was done about it it taints the whole institution. Glad you agree.

First of all, who said anything about “unrestricted” abortion rights? That’s you trying to say something I never did.
    1. I’ve said set a reasonable time frame of approximately 20 weeks to allow women to abort early if they feel they can’t continue the pregnancy. This should be strictly the mothers choice up to this point.
    2. Second trimester abortions (after 20 weeks) should be performed if in the doctors opinion it’s necessary for a medical reason.
    Same for third trimester abortions if the issue is severe enough to save the mother’s life.
    You might be interested in this first person account of a situation that could arise where abortion is necessary:

https://slate.com/technology/2022/05/iud-pregnancy-possible-complications-roe-overturn-abortion.html

Why is it societies business? The message I think it says now is we trust you to know your own situation and your own bodies. We know this isn’t an easy decision but with the help of trained medical personnel you will come out safely on the other side.

For all the reasons you cited above, women have to carefully weigh whether they can bring a child or another child into this world.
    What kind of BS message is, we know things will be tough but you’ll have children to love and who will love you. Huh? You write for Hallmark in your spare time? How’s this scenario…. It’s child #4 or 5 and mom has to work full time to support them, maybe even two shifts. She doesn’t have the time or energy to nurture them as she’d like to. Sure, sure they love her and she them but you’re right about those kids when they get in their teens and the gangs come calling. Maybe mom has tried to teach them but she can’t be there to give them proper oversight. Maybe she can barely handle the three she has and one more would break the camels back, so to speak. Maybe one more would throw her on the welfare rolls. What’s wrong with her deciding to abort that last pregnancy and yes, ask for a more reliable birth control method? That’s being responsible. There’s numerous different scenarios for every woman who makes this decision.

I looked at your gallop poll and if you add up the first two columns , legal under any and legal under certain, you’ll see that a majority of people support some sort of access to legalized abortion. Knocks the sails out of illegal in all.

#203 purriwinkle, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  4. purriwinkle

That was an interesting scripture selection. It basically asks the question if you die tonight whose going to inherit your material goods? In today’s world it would be your spouse, your kids, and maybe some to the state. Most people save so they not only will live more comfortably in old age but that they’ll be able to give it to those they deem deserving after death.

Nothing wrong with trying to be a better individual either until that time comes. Helping charitable organizations, volunteering for school activities, being kind to those you meet, improving your education or learning a new skill can all be things one could pursue without ever setting foot in a church.

Thinking of a heavenly after life? The scriptures spoke straight up in Genesis 3:19 KJV
    In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread till thou return unto the ground, for out of it wast thou taken; for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.”

Yeah, we’ll be worm food which is what happens to all carbon entities living on this earth. It’s natural. Again, no one can prove there’s an after life. That’s faith based….. of course. No need to be squared with an entity that one can only believe in either unless theological studies are something one is interested in.

Besides there’s hella lots of people who are professed Christians who have an abundance of worldly goods, real estate and money. How come they aren’t dull to spiritual things? Or are they? Lol

5. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

My point about religions is that the world's history has been one where there is a collision between these faiths about what is the correct view about God. It's started wars and has spurred terrorism as well.

6. Stealth

Your last point is some of what the problem might be too. We have had a decline in religion in America over the past few decades. Maybe it's a situation where people feel the need to believe in something so they're latching onto things outside of spirituality, like unseen forces controlling the world, shadow governments, intricate conspiracies etc.

It's probably a perfect storm of problems, including education, social media and also prominent figures pushing many of these lies and conspiracies. It provides people with confirmation bias.

I just don't see how we get out of all of this either. How do you even begin to undo this mess?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Morgotha

There was another school shooting, this time in Texas. The shooter first killed his grandmother and then went to a school and killed 19 children and two teachers. Thankfully, the police (I think it was actually a border patrol unit that was nearby and responded) killed the shooter and stopped him.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-school-shooting-victims-uvalde

#207 Morgotha, May 25, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022
  8. purriwinkle

Actually the young gunman shot his grandmother in the face after arguing with her but thankfully she is alive and is in the hospital.
    https://www.npr.org/2022/05/25/1101071658/what-we-know-about-uvalde-shooting

He shared private messages on Facebook with someone and told the person he intended to shoot his grandmother. Police confirm he did attack his grandmother and shot her in the face. She survived and is in the hospital.

9. purriwinkle

Your post made me wonder why people think they need to grasp on to something fantastical to believe in. If mankind were more present in the moment, more concerned with the problems at hand and how to correct them rather than looking for basically what comes down to an excuse for their own inaction, maybe we wouldn’t have this mess.

I’m usually more of a glass half full type of person but I don’t think we’re getting out of this mess. I think Homo Sapiens are going the way of the dinosaurs. Extinction. Even forgetting living peaceably among ourselves, if we ruin the planet beyond it’s capability to sustain us at our current population levels the vast majority, if not all people, will die out.

Perhaps it’s started already with the COVID pandemic. Whether it sprang from nature or we manufactured it ourselves is moot since 6,306,667 people have “officially” died from it as of 5/26/22.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-toll/
    No putting that genie back in the bottle.

Climate change is wreaking havoc with our environment. Wild fires, drought, rising sea levels, deforestation, you name it. Add to that the sheer amount of man made pollution and it’s a wonder we’re still here.

As we speak, how many people will starve with Ukrainian wheat being blockaded in ports by Russian troops? That whole Russian war is causing untold hardships for everyone all because of one megalomaniac dictator.

In the meantime gun violence is at an all time high. Even little children aren’t immune but government does nothing because the gun lobby puts money in the politician’s pockets and people have a cult like worship of fire arms. (If you’ve never seen American Gods, season one, epi 6 it’s right on point here)

Things could be in a downward spiral that we can never recover from. We should do what we can to make things better on an individual level but much is out of the average person’s hands. Yet we can try. People working together do have power, but do they have the collective will to do the right thing?

Enough gloom and doom. I’ve got to mow the lawn. How’s that for being in the present, lol, one small problem solved.

10. Morgotha

11. Stealth

It's funny that you said you're normally a glass is half full person. I was too, but the past 5 years or so have changed my perspective on that.

Obviously the world has always had problems and we've done much to improve the lot of things since the early days of humanity. But now it seems as if we're regressing and not moving forward, and that's a huge thing. This feels different. Maybe people felt that way during the 1930s and 40s when everything fell apart in the world. But at that time America was the balancing force that kept things together. With our nations coming apart, who is there to fill that void? It certainly isn't China.

Our political system is also broken. And our country is too divided. We're never going to meet in the middle. It's more of a cultural thing now. If there was a way to divide up the country I think that would be the only answer now, but unlike in the 1860s where we had the Mason/Dixon line, there is not clear cut way of doing that now.

• Like Like x 1
  12. purriwinkle

This is the saddest part of all. I agree that meeting in the middle seems less and less attainable. I even feel it on a personal level. In RL it’s better if I don’t know someone’s political affiliations. If I do and we’re not aligned, we have to tacitly agree or even come right out and say we’re never going to speak about politics, otherwise getting along doesn’t work. At least that forces us to find other commonalities on which to form a relationship/friendship.

I might “grandfather in” relatives and people I’ve known for years and just roll my eyes unless they become too obnoxious and then you keep interactions to a minimum. When I was still working, I just assumed a friendly but detached professionalism….then went home and complained about the kook I was forced to interact with, lol.

I don’t know….but it would seem overt politics have made me a bit leery of my fellow man. I could never live comfortably in a “red state” unless it was within an area of that state that leaned blue, like living in Austin if you had to reside in Texas:rolleyes:, but you’re right in that we could never so simply geographically split the country as they did during the civil war era. I feel states rights are going to become a bulwark against the feds (whichever side is currently in office) forcing policies on everyone although I’ve always felt a strong federal government was a good thing until the last administration proved that could be disastrous.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stealth

Yeah I've been thinking the same thing regarding states rights. For so long it was used to keep discriminatory practices in place, but in the end it could be our one salvation.

I've wondered for sometime if McConnell's long game was to destroy effectiveness in the federal government, and trust in our institutions, in order to just let the states decide most things. At one time it was the Republicans chief talking point. That's faded, but unlike many of the others around him he is extremely devious and smart. He has to know that California, New York, Massachusetts etc. is never going to bend to the nonsense we're seeing, anymore than the deep red states will accept a more modern approach anytime soon.

At this point I'd accept the states rights solution. I know many will say well, what about people in those deep red states, like Birmingham, Alabama, or like you said Austin. Well, you can't sacrifice everything in a battle that isn't going to be won. People will have to work to change things in their states, or move. What else can we do?

Right now about all we can agree on nationally is to provide for national defense, aid to allies and social security. Even Medicare is under attack now by Scott, so I won't include that. But it's limited with what we can do at a federal level. I guess we can pass an infrastructure bill every few decades too.

What a mess.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Morgotha

15. purriwinkle

I watched the first session of the Congressional January 6th hearings and found it extremely informative and compelling. The way the information was presented was brilliant. Domestic terrorism egged on by a crazy MF president is some scary shit.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stealth

Yeah, they exceeded my expectations. I was planning to watch a bit of it, and then read about the rest, but they presented it in such a compelling fashion that I did watch the whole thing too.

I was also really impressed, with the additional footage, and not seeing it in so long how the Capitol Police saved so many lives that day. They were incredibly outnumbered but they delayed the onslaught and, at points, even fought hand to hand to keep people back. Those minutes, and even seconds, saved lives.

• Like Like x 1
  17. purriwinkle

I was very moved at the bravery of the Capitol police. They deserve every respect, outnumbered and not really combat trained but fiercely determined to do their job as best they could.

One perk of being home is I’ll be watching the second session in RT as well.

• Like Like x 1
  18. purriwinkle

I thought the second session was good in that we could see how
    The ex president, who refused to accept that he lost, germinated the Big Lie, against all the facts and the advice of his own people.

Two things made me laugh. One was Stepien referring to his team as “team normal” as opposed to Giuliani’s and Bill Barr saying that he thought if Trump believed all the nonsense that Giuliani and some others were feeding him that he was “detached from reality”. It took Barr that long to see it? Lol

#218 purriwinkle, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Stealth

The "apparently inebriated Giuliani" remark was funny too.

Barr is trying to have it both ways. He's pretending that the election is what pushed Trump over the edge, making him detached from reality, but he knows fully that Trump was always too far gone. I mean, how could the guy who thought we could inject bleach fall so far to believe election conspiracies?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Morgotha

Some lowlife killed 6 people at a 4th of July parade in Chicago.

"
    US police have arrested a suspect after six people were killed in a mass shooting at an Independence Day parade in Highland Park, Illinois.

Robert E Crimo III, 22, was detained after a brief chase, police said.

The gunman climbed on to a roof, shooting randomly at spectators using a high-powered rifle.

"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62045932