Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Alexandria/DC area vs locations

Discussion in 'Ep. 716 - The First Day of the Rest of Your Life' started by Singtress, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

So, I've lived and/or worked in the DC area a huge part of my life. Been to and worked in Alexandria many times, my dad worked there, etc.

Therefore, I am totally onboard with the idea of the rich green community that could have popped up near DC.
    But...my questions are:
    What is the Sanctuary supposed to be?
    And why don't they ever go into DC? IT'S RIGHT THERE.
    And is the farm supposed to be in the area of, say, Mt.Vernon?
    What about hanging out at the top of the monument? or in the Capitol? Or in the White House grounds wehre plentry of fencing was in place long before people decided to eat peopl..'

I hope this all make sense. I just popped an ambien, and am super duper feelng the effects.
    /

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The sanctuary is a factory.

They probably avoid well known landmarks like the white house and the monument because many other groups have probably already thought of it, and they would rather avoid running into hostiles in those areas.

#2 Neuropyramidal, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

I guess, realistically, I cannot think of a lone factory that would be near Alexandria. In fact, most of what they find once through a wooded area makes no sense. A BUNCH of factories? OK....Lets call it the industrial side of DC we don't talk about. But that one factory surrounded by greenery....and a nearby prison.... also surrounded by greenery. No.

4. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

And maybe I am pushing it, but wouldn't they consider themselves the only group smart enough to find the underground tunnels "get the President out and save the Congress" areas? Where, you know, lots of supplies would be?

I guess I am puzzled why the writers (comic book and tv) would use such real locations .... yet "not" use them. Know what I mean?

5. Neuropyramidal

The factory is a 2 hour drive from Alexandria, along roads the saviors likely have cleared. There's no inconsistency. There's no reason a factory can't have greenery around it. It could be 2 miles outside of a town. Are you talking about the prison they lived in for 1.5 seasons? Its over 600 miles away, in Georgia. Southern prisons are often somewhat rural. Cause people don't want them in their backyard.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

Oh wow. I did not realize the amount of land they had traveled was supposed to be so much. I for some reason got the impression the sanctuary was about an hour away from Alexandria. And this area is built up so much...I couldn't fathom it. But if it is more, then I can see it.

7. Rocky

Rocky Member

Maybe they should find themselves a shopping mall.

One that they can barricade the entrance doors with trucks, that also has it's own power plant that looks after it's self. A fully stocked gun store would be a bonus and several department stores would be nice, just in case you need something for a dinner party.

Erm, no sorry, that shit's been done. Twice. ;)

Seriously though, what's the chances that there is the remnants of the Government hanging out at the White house, the Capitol and other Government buildings and locations.

I'm guessing that these would have been very well stocked, guarded and physically secure at least at the start of the ZA and could have probably survived for a good long time without even venturing into the City or further.

It could make for a good story arc after the defeat of The Saviors and after the various communities come together to form their own "New" nation with an elected Government of their own.
    Which Government would be the legitimate one? The one from DC with continuity from the time before the ZA, or the new one put their by the people?

I'm guessing the one with the biggest guns and the most people would be the winner in any conflict and be the "Legitimate" government.

8. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

If you're looking for very realistic traits you're watching the wrong show. I've commented similar things before. For example, why did they drive that p.o.s. rv of Dale's when they could have gone to any car or RV lot and had any brand new vehicle they wanted/needed. When they were near Atlanta why didn't they raid any outdoor store they could find for good guns rather than use baseball bat barrells for silencers? We could pick it apart all day, but in the end it's a fictional tv show that we find entertaining, so I can cut them slack.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

What farm? Hershel's farm? Like the prison, the farm was in Georgia, about 600 miles away.

#9 Dnae, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  10. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

If they started off in Atlanta.....for 3 seasons.....and are now in Alexandria...... and the location of Alexandria is right outside DC......I am curious how you didn't know how far they have traveled. LOL :eek::D

11. Neuropyramidal

Ambien. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

Niiiiiiiice concepts. That would be awesome.

(My brother has Aspergers, fyi)

13. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

Yeah...you are right.
    I've commented in other places the the former actor in me (never successful, but pretty well-trained) looks too hard to make logic out of some of this. Acting is all about finding the truth...so I go looking for the truth by default. If it was a comedy or such....my brain would naturally bend to the genre needs a bit. But in a show that can have some intense drama, I tend to try to make sense out of plot holes I should just go with...

14. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

Is it wrong that I love the idea of living in a shopping mall?

15. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I practically did in the early 90s, it wasn't that much fun.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

Ditto. But I wubbed it.

17. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

The farm was in Georgia, as has been said.

I'm 44, was born in DC and have been in NoVa my whole life. There is no area at all in the Alexandria area that resembles that sort of woodland where the safe zone is and certainly no area that resembles where the Sanctuary is. There is nothing left that wooded anymore in the immediate DC suburbs unless it's a park and the more "foresty" suburban areas aren't anywhere near that close to DC.

Maybe crime is still so bad in DC that no one will go even during the ZA. I keed, I keed... sort of...

The only way to get to the top of the Washington Monument would be the stairs... a whole lot of them. Wouldn't really be very practical for a holdout since the observation area is relatively small and you'd still have to go up and down constantly for supplies and etcetera. The good point? Your cardio would be astounding.

Fences, even at the WH, won't stop a determined horde. We saw the constantly need for culling at the prison. It could be done, but wouldn't be any safer than anywhere else just because it's the WH.

The Capitol building really wouldn't be safe at all. Maybe if they could make it to Mt Weather, about 60 miles west of DC, but they'd likely never be let in, assuming there's anyone there still.

Nick

18. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

Everything you just said here. Yes. It was the wooded aeeas throwing me the worst. Just mono believable
    Although I think people always still walk to th top or the monument don't they? And the White House fence seems awfully strong.
    I felt like "I should be able to recognize these places" but it don't. Though a gated alexdria green community popping up before the apocalypse makes total sense to me.

Seems like they could make nice home area out of a D.C. Street. Just clear out Georgetown and they'd have great stores, food, water barriers and posh places to hang out,,,,

• Like Like x 1
  19. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

Apologies to all. I am ambien posting
    I actually try to fix mistakes I see,
    Sometimes they just get worse.

20. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

Yeah, people still do walk to the top of Monument as a challenge. It's different when you're doing it possibly multiple times daily and have to lug supplies and God knows what else with you LOL! Rule #1, though... cardio... ;)

You're 100% right about the wooded areas. They just do not exist in DC or the suburbs except for parks, certainly nothing with residences and stuff right smack in the middle of them. Alexandria as a community popped up before the ZA and even that technically shouldn't be... there wouldn't be anywhere for it to exist. You'd have to go waaaaaaay out west toward Western Loudoun to get anything like that at all and, much more likely, parts of the Winchester area and West Virginia. Even Winchester is changing and becoming more "NoVa" in some ways, but it will never really be "Fairfax'ed" or "Loudoun'ed," so to speak.

Maybe the Sanctuary is in Martinsburg LOL!!!

They've have Lowe's in Georgetown, too LOL! Take a little ride over to Old Town and hang at the Torpedo Factory or hell, even just find a suite at The Watergate!