Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The appearance of lost characters in the afterlife

Discussion in 'Episode 509 - What Happened and What's Going On' started by lovethishow, Feb 9, 2015.

1. lovethishow

lovethishow Member

The writers sure have a bleak idea of what the afterlife looks like!

It really bothered me that even the innocent people that have died on the show look the same in the "afterlife" as they did when they died.

I hated seeing the bullet hole in Beth's head... and the blood and tattered clothes on Lizzy and Mika... and Bob still missing a leg.

I know it is all fantasy, and the characters that helped guide Tyreese into the afterlife were in no pain and seemed peaceful, I wish their appearance matched that level of serenity.

Does that make any sense? Does anyone else agree with me?

2. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

They were all clean though when they were in the car, the good ones anyways. Once Tyreese was dying and at peace with his decisions, the wounds were all gone. It's not like there are official rules on what people look like in the afterlife, anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I dunno, I don't see them so much as real spirits as Tyreese's coming to grips with his pending demise. He sees them as they were in death when he is questioning himself, and as clean and pure and serene when he's ready to pass on.

4. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

LOL, what the post a minute before mine said.

5. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

It was more Tyreese wrestling with the idea of was ok for him to be passive in a brutal society.

On one hand, The Gov & Martin parts of his hallucination were the regret of not adopting a more violent mindset, and on the other side Bob, Beth, Lizzie & Mika represented the other side of the argument.

In the end he was true to himself & what he believed in, viewing the final car ride with Bob, Beth, Lizzie & Mika.

6. lovethishow

lovethishow Member

Oh wow i never noticed that! I'll have to go back and re-watch the last few minutes of this episode.

And I know there are no official rules on what the afterlife looks like... but personally I like the idea that if when you die you get to exist in the afterlife in the best, happiest, purest form of yourself. :)

7. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

It wasn't the afterlife, it was Tyreese's hallucinations.

That said, I'm upset with how Beth, Bob, Lizzie and Mika treated Tyreese. It's all a hallucination, but they didn't thank Tyreese for caring about them or trying to help them; they seemed amused that he was fighting to stay alive. The only ones who behaved as they lived were the Governor and Martin.

8. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

It's not really the afterlife. It's more of survivors hallucinating people who they missed.

9. lovethishow

lovethishow Member

That is just your interpretation of it. It seemed to start out as hallucinations, but as Tyreese got closer and closer to death, the hallucinations started becoming reality. Once he started "seeing the light", it was like Beth, Mika, Lizzy, and Bob were helping him pass over into the afterlife by letting him know that it was okay.

10. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

It wasn't the afterlife. It was Tyreese's hallucination. The show hasn't gone that far off the deep end yet.

11. Neuropyramidal

No, it was Tyreese's hallucinations. Its already been explained by the actor, the director, and the showrunner. They were hallucinations. They discussed it on TTD, and here is a statement from an interview yesterday from Greg Nicotero, the director of the episode:

"Tyreese has really been put through the ringer. So once he’s bitten, he sort of goes on this little journey, and he’s accompanied by the hallucinations of the people that have had an impact on him— the Governor, Martin, Beth and of course, the girls."

#11 Neuropyramidal, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  12. Austannibal

Austannibal Member

I wonder why Karen wasn't part of the hallucinations. She was a pretty big part of Tyreese's journey.
    I was shocked to see The Governor again!

13. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Totally agree. It was his passing into the Afterlife.

14. Junking87

Junking87 Member

Honestly and even though they said that on TTD, I do believe the viewer can interpret the scene either way. Just like in real life, we have people who believe in spirits and people who don't. A person will have a near death experience and say he/she saw the light and some will believe it while others say they hallucinated. Personally, I like the thought of them being actual spirits appearing to usher him in to eternal peace. For some viewers, myself included, thinking of it that way helps make the show slightly less hopeless. For example back in season 3 when Rick saw Lori in her wedding dress. It was obviously a hallucination but Lori's death kinda really got to me. So for me, it made me feel a little better interpreting her appearance as her coming back to show Rick that she's in a better place, touching his face to let him know she will always watch over him and Judith. Either way, it doesn't really hurt anyone to believe either interpretation.

15. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

I'd like to start by saying that I don't believe in God or an afterlife so I find the concept of the afterlife being "reality" pretty amusing. But let's just say I did believe, my problem with your theory is that it doesn't make sense that those are the people that would usher Tyreese to the other side. They are good characters for his hallucination because they represent people who he struggled with his humanity over. I would think Karen and/or his family -- you know people he loved -- would be the ones to help him with his "journey". The hallucination theory makes much more sense.

16. Neuropyramidal

Totally Agreed. The viewer can interpret it to be another planet if they want.

17. Neuropyramidal

Well, technically, yes. He passed into something that was after life.

18. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

all the peeps that appeared were ones he questioned himself over and had guilt about his actions or inactions to, Karen he had no guilt or second guessing with. When the story ended, all his doubts were put to rest and he was at peace and ready to accept death.

19. Neuropyramidal

Right. At the end he said 'turn it off', meaning literally turn the radio off, of metaphorically, 'turn off the violence. Turn off this world. I'm ready to go".

20. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

at first it seemed like it was Tyrese's hallucinations, but then at the end when they were driving in the car and Beth, Bob and the girls were all smiling and looking directly at Tyrese just as he was passing on it seemed very clear that they were there to welcome him into the afterlife. It was a very beautiful scene.

#20 mtito914, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015