Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The BIG What If?!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by Dnae, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

In a recent interview Norman Reedus stated that during a conversation Andy Lincoln commented that "he left the show at the wrong time". Now, I am fairly certain that this comment was said in a joking manner.

BUT what if he were serious? I mean, it is not far fetched to think that he has regrets to one degree or another. By nature we tend to second guess ourselves and more times than not worry with the did I make the right choice conundrum.

So, what say you, fans of The Walking Dead.

Shall we play a game?

What if Andy Lincoln decided he wanted to return to the series at some point....would you as a fan welcome him back with open arms?

Or would you be concerned that the progress in quality the series has made in season 9 would suffer from his return?

Would his return send Daryl back into the role of "grunter" rather than reluctant leader?

With Michonne no longer in the series would the return of Rick give us a far darker Rick rather than Rick of 9A who was hopeful for the future?

I adore Andrew Lincoln. And Rick was and always will be my favorite character of the series. Yet, I think that the stories that have been laid out in season 9 and into season 10 would not benefit from his return.

Not to mention the months and months and threads and threads of those who would be screaming "they played us!" "he never left the show it was all a ploy" "this has gimple written all over it" and so on and so on...blah blah blah

So for me, while I miss his character so SO much I just do not think season 10 would be the time for him to make a return.

But I am so on board for him returning for a few of the final episodes when they decide the series has come to an end.

Angela Kang has proven to me that she can be very creative in weaving a story that supports the exits of major characters. I have no doubt that in, oh lets say, season 11 or 12 she could spin a yarn in such a way that Rick Grimes showing up at the gates of Alexandria would the stuff (and thangs) that legendary television moments are made of.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. HungryZombie

HungryZombie Active Member

I would have no problem with it at all if it's a good story. Hopefully Angela Kang could repair the character of Rick. I'm in awe of Andrew Lincolns acting ability but I really started disliking Rick the last season or two. Pretty much since he got to Alexandria it was downhill for me.

3. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

I figure we won't see Rick on the tv series but will see everyone else in the final movie at which point the tv series will end too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I also think he made that statement just as a compliment to Season 9 and Angela, but if he did come back I would welcome it. I agree, it would seem contrived if he came back while the whisperer arc was still on, and suddenly he was the one leading the war with the whisperers. The characters who started this arc should be the ones who finish it. This is their story now.

I think a good time to bring him back, if it indeed happened, would be the

I think he would be more believable in that role than Daryl. Carol is probably more likely to take on Rick's role in that arc, if Rick isn't around. But yeah, if it was announced he was coming back after the whisperer arc, I'd be totally happy with it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t have a problem either, but I would hope that it would be done with an even flow of things.

On a side note- wouldn’t he be pissed off if he returned to Alexandria, just to find out Michonne left to find him at wherever he was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

I think they did an amazing job getting Rick (the central focal point of the show) out while not only maintaining but boosting the overall quality of the show. But writing the show around its star's whims will eventually be too much of a burden and will look gimmickish (the "movies" idea already looks like a big gimmick).

Rick's gone, Maggie's gone, Michonne wants to leave, I'm not too sure about Jesus' faith (his departure was a writers' decision or the actor's choice?). Now if Rick comes back to find Michonne gone, that might convince Michonne to change her mind and resurrect Jesus (wouldn't be the first time), but at some point, this would fail...

So, as happy as I'd be for the group to find Rick again, I think it shouldn't be without a long and demanding investigation and quest. It would have to be a story arc in itself.

7. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Jesus' departure was the writer's decision but Tom Payne was none too happy since they ****ed his story arc big time and he was disappointed that they did nothing with him.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I think the fans wouldn't look at it as a fake out, since it would be Andy wanting back on the show. In a strange way look at FTWD for that. Nobody really have Gimple or those writers any shit for killing Nick, since it was his decision to leave. Fans may have blamed Gimple for making a show that Frank didn't want to be part of, but they didn't have the same reaction they did when Madison was killed off.

So I think if Andy announced he wanted to return to the show, I think most people would be ok with it. The hard part would be the same thing the movies are going to have a hard time with, explaining why Rick never made it back to Alexandria in 6 years. I mean he wasn't hiding under a dumpster for 6 years, so where ever he is they need to explain that either way.

I could see a situation where Rick is some place where he simply isn't allowed to leave, that's how I picture it anyway. Such a secure location, an island, or something, where he simply can't leave and he spends 6 years playing their game trying to earn his right to be taken back. At some point the group gets in touch with this community and together they convince them to let Rick leave. Or something like that, and I think the fans would be happy.

However, I do have one reservation. I don't want to say season 9 was better BECAUSE Rick wasn't there, it may have been just as amazing with him. But I do wonder if the lack of Rick didn't help the storytelling. With Rick around we are so focused on him because the story is so focused on him. With him gone the writers were sort of forced to fill in that gigantic hole by telling the story through other points of view. We were't thinking "What is Rick going to do?" we were saying "What are THEY going to do?".

Someone made a great point about the pike scene. If Rick was there our focus would have been on Rick's reaction. Without him we saw all of their reactions. It wasn't a Rick moment, it was a group moment. And I wonder if that doesn't take a step back if Rick is back on the show.

I think the best way to continue to tell this story is to connect all these stories but keep the shows and movies separate. In a way how they do it in each series. With the "bottle episodes" we would get a story told within the context of the season, yet the entire episode would be focused on a smaller group. They could do the same thing. Have TWD tell one story, FTWD tell another, and the movies tell another...yet have all these stories connected more so than they are now. Not with crossover characters, but actually have the stories intertwine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1