Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

the book

Discussion in 'Episode 506 - Consumed' started by fruitfulandgay, Nov 16, 2014.

1. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I don't think we can assume it is Daryls book just because it might have been in his bag.
    It makes little sense to me in any realistic way that he would have taken and planned to read that book.
    I also noticed that they both carry the bag and even switched off who grabs it when he pulls out the pad to start the fire to distract the walkers,he has it and then leaves it ad she picks it up.

I don't think he is all of a sudden introspective and self nurturing in the middle of this whole mess?

On the other hand he has dropped little clues for a while that he is damaged,knows it but goes forward anyway so who knows!

2. Bathing Anthony

At first I thought it was Carol picking up the book for Carl and especially Judith so she would never have to make them look at the flowers. But that didn't really make sense, since Carol wasn't sure whether she'd ever return to the group. So I figured she felt she needed that book to understand whether she could have dealt with Lizzy differently, where she went wrong. But the Daryl story does make sense.

3. Zombie Mouse

Zombie Mouse Member

Daryl took the book, you see him swipe it from the table at the shelter and then it falls out of his satchel.

There have been enough hints that he was an abused child, and he's even talked about it when he was in that shack with Beth, that reminded him of his childhood home.

That is why Daryl and Carol probably have the best relationship of any characters on the show. They both get what the other has been through, without words, they just know.

I loved that look they exchanged when Carol saw the book, Daryl was embarrassed but he knew he didn't have to be because Carol understands.

This is why I think all those who imagine Daryl as a red hot lover are deluding themselves. He is damaged goods, and while I'm not saying he could never have a romantic relationship with anybody, male or female, it is clear he's got a lot of issues to work through first.

4. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

The book was for Daryl I thought, since it was for survivors of childhood abuse. Carl and Judith don't fall into that category. I doubt Lizzie did either. And Carol was a victim of domestic violence at the hands of her husband. Although Carol and Daryl both said they were trying. Wasn't that to be better people?

5. cowboy's person

Love Daryl's optimism with regard to the book. He sees a future for himself and his group, and he wants to try to work through his past baggage so he can keep trying to be a better person.

6. purriwinkle

Yup. That's why they're soul mates.

7. Zombie Mouse

Zombie Mouse Member

I wouldn't go that far!

I don't ship Daryl and Carol, but I love the respect and friendship they have for each other.

8. nomaveck

nomaveck Member

Pretty sure childhood abuse includes getting physically assaulted and almost raped.

9. nomaveck

nomaveck Member

I wouldn't say it's the best but they certainly have one of the nicest and most developed relationships in the show. Rick and Michonne are the only ones I can think of who have a similar understanding.

10. purriwinkle

I would classify that as a childhood trauma. A single incident vs something systemic and on going. Maybe they overlap.

#30 purriwinkle, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  11. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

I love this discussion and I noticed it myself during the episode. However it would be funny if we were over thinking it and Daryl later uses the book to light a fire. After all we saw the notepad in his satchel just before he set it on fire and tossed it to make a fire to distract the walkers. Just because he has a notepad in his satchel doesn't mean he's planning to write his autobiography.

12. Montyzuma

Montyzuma Member

That legal pad must have been soaked in moonshine for it to flame up like that!

13. nomaveck

nomaveck Member

That's probably more accurate. Though yes, there would be some overlap. And since Daryl didn't pick up a book on childhood trauma, Carl will have to make do with that. Then again, "Neglect" is apparently one form of child abuse. So... Does it count when your mom repeatedly "neglects" to keep track of you in a post-apocalyptic world?

14. nomaveck

nomaveck Member

When I saw that notepad my first reaction was one of bafflement. Lol. Like, has he taken up poetry writing or art in his spare time? Then I applauded him for having that because paper is always useful (insulation, writing notes, making paper airplanes, toilet paper substitute, etc.).

But no.

[​IMG]

15. Bathing Anthony

Agreed. And I also thought that living under constant threat, having to shoot your mother (yes, yes, single trauma), watching your father kill humans -- turned and unturned -- on a daily basis is a lot to cope with too. Ricks wandering off to rescue others after he repeatedly promised to not leave Carl again doesn't exactly win him the father of the year award either. Judith probably was too young to develop abandonment issues by the death of her mother or Beth being gone. Yet, I stand by the idea that the book would be helpful to many of our characters. Daryl might have been better off with some of the books in Eugene's observation spot but I understand now that he took it for himself :Grin:

16. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

I, too, think, it was Daryls book. He looked at it very thoughtful, when they entered that room at the women's shelter. I wasn't that surprised, when it felt out of his satchel later (even though I missed the scene were he took it). That was a nice touch to the whole story.

17. nomaveck

nomaveck Member

Or Tyreese in the next ep! :Grin:

18. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

LOL, That's funny...I was thinking it would've been a hoot if when he flipped it like a frisbee into the street the flames were blown out from the wind. That'd be like, ok time for plan 'B' folks.

19. purriwinkle

Sure, for any kids being raised in the ZA it would be comparable, I suppose, to kids being raised in a war zone. It's said that children are resilient, but it must have some sort of effect on their developing psyches. Although the way they're being raised now is the norm, not an aberration. Not saying there aren't some good nuggets in the book that might be helpful if they ever get to a place where they can rebuild a "normal" society.

20. rustybag

rustybag Member

I don't think they ever explored Carol's childhood, but I always imagined she must have been a victim of child abuse herself, and that's why she picked someone like Ed as a partner to begin with. Childhood behavioral and thought patterns can be deeply ingrained and hard to break. When they both had the book between them, like you guys, I thought it was symbolic of having a shared experience, but I thought maybe it goes way back for both of them. Although where Daryl is able to take action and move forward in this world, Carol taking action leads her to experience shame and doubt afterwards. I don't think she's okay with herself and the things she has done, even though she may have felt they were the right actions in the moment. I'm not sure what will happen to Carol at the hospital & where they are going with that..

#40 rustybag, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014