Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Coronavirus TWD Rewatch!?

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by Neuropyramidal, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Yeah, Frank Darabont got grief from the fans because in season 1 he gave the walkers some intelligence, and let them walk up stairs, climb fences and use concrete to smash glass doors.

As TWD progressed, the walkers became an annoyance. There was an episode in season 7 where Rick and Michonne ran through a group of them without any trouble! :rolleyes:

The one positive thing I'll give FTWD is that their walkers are still a threat.

#21 Rapscallion, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I don't understand why that was such a controversy. Sure, the comics portray the zombies as slow walking and basically operate off of only one instinct: to kill and eat anything that is living.

But why did that have to be the case on the show? I liked Darabont's slight adaptation.

It didn't bother me that Morgan's wife was trying to turn a doorknob. It made it more suspenseful. It's not like he tried to completely revamp zombie lore and had them working complex equations, sprinting or doing sign language. lol

He just gave them a few more abilities than the boring zombies that we get now. Not really a big deal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The walker intelligence debate is a polarized one. Some people are adamant that Darabont was the one who botched it, and the dumber walkers are better for the sure. Others feel the opposite. I personally am kind of in the middle. I think the ZA would definitely be a more challenging place with Darabont's walkers, and the ability to use very simple tools like rocks, and turn door knobs, could make for some interesting sequences on screen, but at the same time I see the reasoning for dumbing them down.

I imagine they were looking at some things they wanted to do with the comic adaptation going forward, like Michonne's pet walkers. If walkers are smart enough to retain an essence of their former selves, like a little girl picking up a toy, and a woman constantly trying to re-enter the same house where she last knew her family was, and using rocks as tools, and turning door knobs, then it may not make much sense that they couldn't recognize a living human who was walking a pair of pet walkers. It would have made many sequences that they get themselves into more unrealistic because the zombies would be doing more things to thwart the survivors. So, I do see the reasoning behind the decision, but at the same time I agree it would spice certain things up if we also had to worry about walkers opening latched doors, etc.

I think they can still climb stairs. We may not have seen it in awhile, just because it hasn't been shown, but we've seen it past Darabont, like during the outbreak in the prison in S4. And they filled the second floor of the house where Deanna was in S6, I think the idea was they just walked up, not crawled. And we see them go up one or two steps like from the ground onto a porch without falling. My understanding is they can probably still go up a flight of stairs. They've gone down stairs as well, like when Andrea opened the door so the walkers could come down the flight of stairs and surround the Governor, although they also sometimes fall down the stairs, like the walker in Sam and Ana's house.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rapscallion

A Few Thoughts on TWD S2, EP 10 "18 Miles Out".

1) The walker in the field; what did it symbolize? That Shane would die and turn? That the plague is still going on in the world? That the loss of the farm was inevitable? :confused:

2) Shane notices that the guard walkers at the PW station don't have bites, so Rick uses the scratches on their arms to explain how they turned. Rick was obviously keeping Jenner's secret about everyone being infected (and Shane bought Rick's story), but in later seasons the show's writer's included that survivors could turn if a walker scratched them.

3) Shane was right, Rick couldn't keep Lori and Carl safe. :(

4) Shane's reflection in the shattered window, then a walker's arm rises up slowly from inside the building. :eek:

5) Maggie and Beth's argument. Maggie tries to convince Beth to stay alive, while Beth fears they can't survive in a world overrun by walkers.

6) Randall repeatedly stabbing the female walker proves that he's dangerous.

7) Lori and Andrea's argument. I think Lori wanted everyone to go back to the way they were before the apocalypse, but Andrea knew that was impossible. I also liked that Andrea figured out that Lori and Shane had an affair, so she included that "boyfriend" jab. :D

8) Shane trapped inside the school bus. :eek:

9) Andrea allowing Beth to attempt suicide; I think Glen Mazzara really wanted the fans to hate her. :mad:

10) Rick looking down at the two dead walker guards, and remembering that Shane is still his best friend and partner. :cool:

11) Rick tells Shane he can still "come back"; it turned out to be Shane's last chance. :(

5. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I saw that as a metaphor for Shane realizing he's all alone in this new world, and that might as well be him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I'm watching Season 5 right now. I'm really enjoying it, as I enjoyed all of the prior seasons. I remember all of the debate regarding this season.... the plots, the quality of the show, etc. I don't remember how I felt about it exactly, but I know that I loved this show back then. It didn't really start to fade until all of the original/early characters started to go away.

7. Rapscallion

IMO Season 5 is watchable, but it felt like TWD was starting to decline. I think the episode "What Happened and What's Going On" was Gimple's test episode for what he wanted to do with the show: the flashbacks, the camera tricks, the cryptic dialogue, the symbolism.

8. Rapscallion

A Few Thoughts on TWD S2, EP 11, "Judge, Jury, and Executioner".

1) Randall proved he was dangerous when he talked about the two girls getting raped.

2) Carl was cruel to tell Carol that Sophia wasn't in Heaven, and that believing she was made her an idiot. But I also understand that Carl was a kid, venting his anger over Sophia's death. :(

3) Daryl showed his intelligence when he told Dale that he always knew Shane sacrificed Otis.

4) Hershel accepting Glenn and giving him his pocket watch. :cool:

5) the group voting on Randall's fate.

6) Dale was wrong to defend Randall, but he was right that wanton killing would lead to the group losing their humanity.

7) Dale getting his chest ripped open by a walker. :eek:

8) Daryl became Rick's second-in-command when he put down Dale. :cool:

#28 Rapscallion, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  9. Rapscallion

The Walking Dead, S2, EP12 "Better Angels".

Rick kills Shane. :eek:

10. Rapscallion

TWD, S2, EP 13 "Beside The Dying Fire"

Rick reveals to the group what Dr. Jenner whispered to him before they escaped the CDC, "We're all infected".

This would've been the ideal moment for Rick to say the famous line from the comics "We are the Walking Dead", but Glen Mazzara dropped the ball on that one.

11. Rapscallion

TWD S2, EP 13 "Beside the Dying Fire".

The "Ricktatorship" speech, plus the aerial shot of the prison in the background. :cool:

12. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

Just finished re-watching season 2. Reminder that lori is the worst

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

13. Neuropyramidal

I'm behind. I have no excuse, cause uhh, COVID, but Ive been watching a lot of other shows and reading a novel. Plan on cranking out 2 or 3 episodes tonight though. Just finished What Lies Ahead [201].

Some interesting things about What Lies Ahead:

It was originally suppose to be 2 separate episodes, the first one titled 'Miles Behind Us'. The decision was made to make the episode longer, so they could market it as more of an 'epic' event, so they combined what were suppose to be 201 and 202 into What Lies Ahead. However, the majority of Miles Behind Us, written by Darabont [under the pseudonym Ardeth Bey], was cut.

In original filming, upon leaving the CDC, Shane has a jeep malfunction and gets separated from the group. He runs off on foot, almost getting overwhelmed by walkers, and is finally rescued by the rest of the group. Apparently after being rescued, he mentions to Rick that the walkers never seem to get tired. No matter how much he ran, they just kept coming. This is what prompts Rick to later tell Sophia in the woods that the walkers never 'get winded'.

Then they go back to the Vatos lair [in the deleted scene we all know about], and then Miles Behind was suppose to end when Rick told Carol he lost Sophia.

Apparently when AMC cut most of the episode Darabont wrote, they claimed most of it was 'unusable'. Some people speculate that this was so they'd have more cause to fire him in the soon future.

Another coronavirus lesson: If you have the idea to cut your own hair by taking a side-burn trimmer, putting it inside a toilet paper tube, so the blades are about 3/4 inch down in the tube and thus can not reach your skin, turn it on and slide it all around your head....

...its actually a surprisingly quasi good idea. I'd say 8 to 8.5 out of 10 in quality as an idea. I thought I was crazy when I was setting it up....and 5 minutes later I had a half way decent haircut that looks perfectly normal from 3 or 4 feet away.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Rapscallion

Season 3 was another great season for TWD: it was the series' version of "The Prison Arc", and was promoted with the tagline "Fight the dead, fear the living". It was also Glen Mazzara's only full season as showrunner.

The first thing I liked about season 3 was the feeling that nobody was safe. By the season finale, several characters had been killed off, including Lori and Merle. :(

Michonne made her debut (cameo in the S2 finale) and so did the Governor, the town of Woodbury, Tyreese, Sasha, and there was the birth of Judith Grimes. Merle and Morgan both reappeared after disappearing in season 1.

The brotherhood between Rick and Daryl was established. Hershel was a great advisor for Rick; and he could be the voice of moral authority without being condescending. Glenn and Maggie had some drama in their relationship. There were more teases of Daryl and Carol becoming a couple. Carol herself was becoming stronger. Carl was being groomed to be the group's future leader. :cool:

Merle redeemed himself in a suicide mission that killed most of the Governor's experienced soldiers. As Carol told a mourning Daryl, "He gave us a fighting chance".

I think the Governor was the best villain TWD ever had: he was the other side of the coin to Rick Grimes. The Governor was insane, intelligent, and manipulative. :eek:

I think the season 3 finale was great: The Governor was defeated, the survivors of Woodbury joined the prison group, and Rick stopped seeing Lori's spirit, which implied that she's at peace. Carl executed a Woodbury soldier, which created a heated debate on this forum. :cool:

While I enjoyed season 3, I do have a few negative feelings about it.

I hated how Mazarra wrote Andrea. I can understand Andrea wanting to stay in Woodbury because it was a symbol of the old world, but having her start a relationship with the Governor was wrong. After that, the only thing left for Andrea was to be killed off. :mad:

I didn't like that Carl never confronted his parents about Lori's affair with Shane. It was clear that Carl had figured out what happened between Lori and Shane, so he wouldn't talk to his mother or he even ignored her.

There were also hints of Carl having a crush on Beth, but it wasn't followed up in season 4.

Season 3 was also the first to have the current 16 episodes a season, but that's far too many; TWD should've always had 10 episodes a season.

#34 Rapscallion, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
  15. bula412

Season 3 note. I wish the writers hadn't ruined andrea

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. bula412

Started season 4. I miss hershel

17. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

Lori was never there. It was Rick going insane over her death. And not seeing her anymore meant HE was at peace.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rapscallion

I guess it's open to interpretation (plenty of that going on with TWD), I just took it that since Rick and Lori got some closure about their marriage before she died, and after Rick defeated the Governor, kept Carl safe, and the final shot of the cross marking Lori's grave, it all meant that she was at peace.

#38 Rapscallion, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  19. Rapscallion

A few thoughts on TWD S3, EP1 "Seed".

The opening five minutes with Rick and the Atlanta group clearing out a house full of walkers, but having to abandon it moments later because of the approach of a large group of walkers was excellent. I liked that Carl was on the front lines, helping his father against the walkers. :cool:

Lori is in the middle of her pregnancy; Rick barely talks to her, Carl won't talk to Lori either or he'll ignore her completely. It's clear that Carl figured out what happened between Lori and Shane.

The Atlanta group stumbles upon a prison overrun with walkers; once again show great teamwork taking the prison's field in their first step to claiming a new home. :cool:

I think many fans began shipping Daryl and Carol when she jokingly asked him if he wanted to "Screw around?" It's a funny scene, but the showrunners would start teasing us unmercifully with the chance that Caryl would go official. :mad:

The next day the Atlanta group continues to show their teamwork when they clear the prison's courtyard of the walkers. Props to Maggie for helping the guys out. :cool:

During the fight, Rick rips off a guard walker's face along with its gas mask. Gross! :eek:

We get our first full scene of Michonne in action with her katana. We later see that Michonne and Andrea have been surviving together, but Andrea has gotten sick, and needs to find a doctor quickly.

Rick leads a scouting party into the prison hallways to find the cafeteria and the infirmary. The group nearly gets overrun by walkers and Hershel gets bit on the ankle, the group hides in the cafeteria, and Rick cuts off Hershel's foot to stop the infection from killing him. Seconds later, the group discovers five surviving prisoners in the cafeteria.

This episode is almost perfect. My one complaint is that Rick took Hershel along on that scouting mission. As the only group member with medical experience, Hershel was too valuable to risk.

#39 Rapscallion, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  20. Neuropyramidal

That's definitely my take too. It was all part of his hallucination/anguish. The phone calls, seeing Lori, etc. It all went away once Rick accepted reality.

As of last night, I'm up through Nebraska. And who knows, maybe The World Beyond will prove that Nebraska IS nice. ;)