Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Coronavirus TWD Rewatch!?

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Television Series' started by Neuropyramidal, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

A Few Thoughts on TWD S3, Ep 3 "Walk With Me"

The episode begins with an army helicopter crashing into the woods. I wish that would've been the end of this helicopter nonsense, but AMC's got a franchise to build. :rolleyes:

Michonne and a sickly Andrea (accompanied/camouflaged by Michonne's "pet walkers" see the smoke from the crash and investigate. A group of survivors appears, kills the walkers on site, and takes the survivors from the helicopter away. Michonne and Andrea are caught by Merle, who now sports a metal tube with an attached bayonet to cover the stump on his right arm. :cool:

"How's about a big hug for your old pal Merle?" :D

I was always glad they included that quote in the trailers to season 3. It was great to know Merle would be back again. :cool:

Michonne and Andrea are taken to the town of Woodbury. Andrea's illness is treated by Dr. Stevens (who disappears later in the season), and are introduced to the Governor.

The Governor's talents for manipulation shine throughout this episode: he works on getting Andrea and Michonne to stay in Woodbury, he works on the Army lieutenants concern for his men to tell him where they are. Michonne is the only one who doesn't fall for the Governor's bullshit.

Another character we're introduced to is Milton, who's working on finding a cure to the walker virus.

The Governor drives to the location the lieutenant provided, but he ambushes the soldiers for their supplies and equipment.

The episode ends in the Governor's apartment, where he sits watching his collection of walker heads inside fish tanks, the latest being the severed head of the lieutenant. :eek:

This was a good episode. I understand some fans were upset that the TV version of the Governor was nowhere as brutal or disturbing as his comic counterpart, but I think the Governor being the "Anti-Rick" makes up for that.

2. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

Does a rewatch still count if you skip episodes you think are terrible- As "Still" comes up next on Netflix

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. bula412

As someone who read the comics, I actually preferred TV governor. It was a little bit more realistic and I think the character had more depth. Also David Morrissey was great in the role

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. bula412

While watching it and seeing the golf course, i started wondering why they don't utilize golf carts. You can charge an electric one off of your solar panels and use them to shuttle things around and make short trips. Being as you wouldn't need gas, it could be an effective tool

5. Rapscallion

Ugh. "Still", the debut of Emo Daryl. :mad:

You're gonna be the last man standing, Daryl Dixon. You're also gonna to be living in the woods with a dog you name...Dog. :confused:

#45 Rapscallion, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

He's over it now. I was worried that Daryl would not go over well as the lead. He;s doing a good job,

• Like Like x 1
  7. bula412

I think his relationship with Judith is now one of the main drivers of the show

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rapscallion

A Few Thoughts on TWD, S3, Ep 4, "Killer Within".

The episode starts with a mysterious stranger laying a trail of deer meat and organs for the walkers outside the prison to follow.

Rick and the Atlanta group move their vehicles inside the prison fence line, Glenn and Maggie are caught making out in one of the guard towers. :oops:

The surviving inmates Axel and Oscar ask to join the group. Most of the group is reluctant to give the inmates a chance, but T-Dog takes up their cause. Rick is adamant that Axel and Oscar can't be trusted, and they'll be shown the gates. This was a good scene, because Oscar had a lot of promise as a supporting character, and T-Dog got the rare chance to speak up.

Back at Woodbury, Michonne and Andrea are making plans to hit the road, but Andrea is hinting that she doesn't want to leave town.

At the prison, the walkers following the trail of deer meat and guts attack a part of the group standing on the courtyard. I enjoyed the sequence of Rick, Daryl, and Glenn running back to the courtyard while Carl, Maggie, Carol, and T-Dog try to fend off the walkers. Unfortunately, T-Dog gets bit on the shoulder as he closes a gate to stop more walkers from attacking. The group splits up and hides in different cell blocks while Rick and the others fight the remaining walkers.

I loved the scene where Daryl slam dunks his knife into a walker's head. :cool:

The prison alarms start up. Rick, Daryl, Glenn, Axel, and Oscar go inside the cell blocks to turn off the alarms and find the others.

Back at Woodbury, Merle as the Governor for permission to go find Daryl. This scene is another example of the Governor's manipulation: he subtly doesn't want Merle to leave, and he has a rebuttal for every compromise Merle offers. :mad:

T-Dog and Carol take cover inside one of the cell blocks. Moments later T-Dog sacrifices himself to two walkers so Carol can escape. :(

Maggie, Lori, and Carl are forced to hide inside the prison boiler room, then Lori starts having contractions. It's impossible for them to go back outside with walkers roaming the hallways. :eek:

Rick, Daryl, and Oscar reach the generator room to turn off the alarms. The mysterious stranger is revealed to be the inmate Andrew. Andrew attacks Rick with an axe, but both men lose their weapons in the struggle. Daryl defends the door and kills two walkers trying to break inside. Oscar picks up Rick's gun and despite Andrew's orders to shoot Rick, shoots Andrew instead. :eek:

In the boiler room, Lori begs Maggie to perform a C-section that she won't survive without medical equipment, Maggie reluctantly agrees. Lori and Carl have an emotional farewell. Lori tells her son. "You are going to beat this world. I know you will. You are smart, and you are strong, and you are so brave, and I love you." Maggie performs the C-section, and removes the baby as Lori bleeds to death. Carl takes his pistol and puts his mother down before she turns. :(

Rick kills the two walkers feasting on T-Dog's remains, there's no sign of Carol. :eek:

Rick, Daryl, Glenn, Axel, and Oscar return to the courtyard, and are met by Hershel and Beth. They're about to go back inside the cell block to find the others when Carl and Maggie (holding the baby) stagger outside. Rick slowly realizes that Lori is dead, and he collapses to the ground in tears. :(

I thought this was an excellent episode. Lori gets a lot of grief from the fans, but I thought it was sad for her to die with so much between her, Rick, and Carl unresolved. :(

It was sad to see T-Dog die. I wish Glen Mazzara had built up his character prior to this episode.

Watching this episode now is bittersweet, because in season 3 Carl was being groomed to be the group's future leader, and it's highlighted in Lori's final words to her son. As we all know Carl died in season 8, so it feels like everything the Grimes family suffered and fought for was for nothing. :( :mad:

#48 Rapscallion, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Done with Judge, Jury, and Executioner. I've always enjoyed this arc. Of course, as many of us know, Dale died here because Jeffrey DeMunn demanded to leave the show, as he was self admittedly 'furious' over Darabont's firing. I read an interview where he claimed he could barely breath for a week until realizing he can just quit the show if he wants. Seems like an extreme reaction to me, but perhaps his friendship with Darabont is pretty strong.

I've always heard that he changed his mind at the last minute and wanted Dale to live, but I don't remember ever seeing Jeffrey himself claim this, so it could be a rumor. Also, originally, instead of that cow, Dale was suppose to find Jimmy dead and dismembered in that field. It was changed at the last minute.

As an aside note, I kept coronavirus boredom at bay for several hours today by working on my riding lawnmower that hasn't been running since late last year. When I finally turned the key to a smooth running engine, I felt like

[​IMG]

Then almost immediately it started raining, which was a relief since I didn't really feel like mowing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. bula412

working on season 5. Pete is so awkward

11. Rapscallion

A Few Thoughts on TWD, S3, EP 5 "Say The Word".

Instead of telling us how brave T-Dog was they could've showed us for 3 seasons. :mad:

The gladiatorial fights should've told Andrea that staying in Woodbury was the wrong decision. :eek:

#51 Rapscallion, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  12. Rapscallion

TWD, S3, EP 6 "Hounded".

Daryl finds Carol alive. :D

13. PepperAnn

I LOVED that scene.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bula412

season 6 episode episode 3....dumpster alert!

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

You can still get your rewatch trophy by skipping Still. I only saw it one time, but might be interested in seeing it again just to see if it's as terrible on second viewing. That was the first time there was real backlash from TWD fans.

16. PepperAnn

I am in the VERY MINOR minority that actually liked Still. And I hated Beth. Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Last night I started re-watching the blu ray featurettes for each season.

No particular order. So I started with season 4

Sigh....the Back to Brutality bit - I miss Rick so damn much!
    [​IMG]
    He beat the shit out of Tyreese, banished crazy Carol, took a bite out of Joe, gutted Hoss-boy, strangled toilet man.

18. Rapscallion

A Few Thoughts on TWD, S3, EP 8, "Made to Suffer".

This episode was written by Robert Kirkman, and he did a good job with it. :cool:

Michonne leads Rick, Daryl, and Oscar into Woodbury to rescue Glenn and Maggie.

This was the debut of Tyreese and Sasha. I remember many of comics' fans being excited that Tyreese was finally appearing on the show, and he showed lots of potential here. Sasha was an original character, and it was surprising that she not only lasted longer that her brother,she was much stronger.

Tyreese and his group, which includes, Sasaha, Donna, Allen, and Ben, are on the run from walkers. They get inside the prison, but not before Donna is bit; she later dies and is put down off screen.

The scene where the Governor tried to communicate with his turned daughter Penny was sad. It's interesting how Kirkman wrote the series Governor as a father in denial of his daughters death, while in the comic, he wrote the Governor as an uncle with a perverted attraction to his dead niece. :eek:

While Merle was the Governor's lieutenant, I've always been under the impression he disagreed with the Governor's actions, such as the order to take Glenn and Maggie to the biter pits.

Rick and his group rescue Glenn and Maggie, but Michonne leaves them suddenly to get some revenge on the Governor. :eek:

Waiting in the Governor's apartment, Michonne discovers the Walker Penny in a closet and puts her down. Michonne's fight with the Governor was brutal, and ends with his right eye getting stabbed out. :eek:

Back at the prison, Carl rescues Tyreese and his group from the walkers in boiler room. Both Carl's actions, and Tyreese showing Carl respect, highlighted that he was supposed to be the group's future leader. :(

This was a great episode, but I have a few nitpicks about it:

This was the last glimpse of Carl's crush on Beth.

Rick has PTSD at the most inconvenient time. :rolleyes:

I hated that Oscar was killed in the rescue mission, I would've preferred if he survived until the Governor's surprise attack on the prison.

Dr. Stevens is never again. :confused:

I felt Michonne putting down the Walker Penny had more to do with hurting the Governor than ending the dead girl's existence.

Andrea discovers the Governor's collection of walker heads, and Walker Penny, yet she decides to stay yet again. :rolleyes:

I hated that Daryl got caught and was forced to fight Merle in the gladiatorial arena. :mad:

#58 Rapscallion, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  19. bula412

There were a couple ok moments but the overall premise (Beth wants to go out for drinks) is stupid

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bula412

I think Merle and the Governor had a complicated relationship. Merle liked having a stable place to live and didn't mind the stealing from other groups. We find out later on that he regretted that the Governor made him kill so much but did it because it meant his own survival. We see in this or previous episode that Merle is just as much a prisoner as anyone else in that town when the gov stops him from going to look for daryl. Merle may have thought that he was different than the other citizens and could do what he wants. it was a rude awakening when he discovers that he's trapped there like the rest of them