Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Crossbow Arrows

Discussion in 'Episode 203 - Save the Last One' started by Jakobi, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

Ok, just thinking. How many arrows does Daryl have? I think it was a huge waste on that hanging zombie. But we should keep track to see if they magically add more. The thing is...anyone know how many he has?

2. navyvinny

navyvinny New Member

I saw the most he had was four. I am sure he has at least 8. The only time I seen him forget to pick up one was the hanging zombie. But in a scene I remember seeing the deer, that the zombie was eating, was there 3 arrows in it or am I imaging?

3. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

Welcome Navy Vinny! Thanks man, yeah trying to figure it out. Anyone else know what he has left?

4. AVC

AVC Member

Technically, crossbows use bolts. Shorter than an arrow.

Just sayin....

i haven't even seen this episode, only DL'd it last night. Ima get the hell out of this topic before I spoil myself. :)

5. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

If Daryl had time to pack when the outbreak happened, he could have a few bolts with him.

6. AVC

AVC Member

An outdoorsman like him, he can prolly make them himself.

7. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter Member

I remeber this scene I think. I also remember seeing him always pick up the bolts after he has taken out a walker. But good question, I will go back and research because I am intrigued now.

8. AVC

AVC Member

He could have a stash of them in his bag. He is shown to pull them out in most cases to recycle them (cept for the hanging dude), it's not like rifle ammo, I think the amount he has is moot.

9. Loc

Loc Administrator
    Staff Member

Just checked out the scene when the Zombie was eating the deer and he shot the head with an arrow. he had 3 in the deer and one in his cross bow but I'm sure he has more

10. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

I do seem to recall Daryl leaving a bolt/arrow in the "Shit up!" zombie's head. He had 3 in the deer, one in the decapitated zombie, and a few in the holder thingy, and I'm sure he has plenty more. He's a redneck, and crossbow bolts don't last that long - because crossbows fire bolts so much faster than regular bows, the bolt hits targets much higher, and that means bolts break much quicker than regular arrows. If he was using a regular bow, those broadhead tips he uses would be bouncing off zombie's heads more often. Even with the crossbow, I'd go for a bodkin point.

11. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

Actually fatbrett, the modern crossbow is very similar to a modern high-performance compound bow where accuracy and range are concerned. Even the bolt/arrow speeds and kinetic energy released between the two are very similar and only varies slightly depending on lighter or heavier bolts and over very long distances. When one considers what a great short range weapon the crossbow is, and that even an average shooter can learn to shoot accurately up to 30 or 40 yards with little training, one would also conclude that a skilled hunter such as Daryl would be quite lethal with this weapon and would likely never take a shot he knew would not deliver a killing blow. Overshooting is no more a problem with a crossbow than it is with any bow as long as the shooter understands the subtle differences between the two weapons, which Daryl's character clearly does.

That being said, I'm saying that Daryl: A) Has many bolts in his supplies. B) Wastes VERY few bolts.

12. fatbrett2

fatbrett2 Member

I meant 'traditional' when I said 'regular' or 'normal' - as in non-compound. And if he always made a kill shot, why hit the deer 3 times?

#12 fatbrett2, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  13. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

LOL Yeah the 3 bolts in the deer was a bit silly (from a hunters perspective). An appropriately placed bold would have went through the upper shoulder and exited the body allowing the animal to bleed-out quickly and be tracked easily. There would have been no need for an additional shot, let alone 3, and the 3 bolds that were in the corpse would have never allowed Daryl to track that deer. But I digress. It's TV. :)

14. MaxBrooks

MaxBrooks New Member

Heres the problems with arrows you use it to kill a zombie that arrow is not infected. Reuse at your own risk. The other problem is modern crossbow bolts are designed to strike soft flesh and with multiple usage of skull penetration can cause fracturing of the shaft. The frontal bone is the thickes bone in the cranial vault so would cause severe stress on bolts.

15. silmarien

silmarien Member

Yes, yes he can! I <3 Daryl.

16. silmarien

silmarien Member

Well if you watch the characters bash in zombie heads with gun butts, rocks, and other blunt objects, the heads seem to crush very easily (like melons). Perhaps the rotting/zombification process has left zombie heads slightly less calcified and more malleable?

17. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Member

Given that our characters are living in a miasma of zombie goo, I don't think that infection is an issue except by bite (and maybe scratch, though I haven't seen any proof that it's transmissable by scratch).

They probably could have eaten the deer without ill effect. At least they could have fed some to Ed first.

18. AtlantaOverrun

AtlantaOverrun Well-Known Member

There are plenty scenes in season 2 where you can see that he's cutting his own arrows

19. grasshopper

grasshopper New Member

Rick, Carl and Michonne picked up another crossbow with bolts from Morgan's stash in the Clear episode.
    The first prisoner to die when they started to clear the walkers from the second block was scratched when the walkers hand came off and in his handcuffs.

20. Geek Walker

Geek Walker Member

I think he's gotten more as the show has progressed. The original bolts he used had I believe yellow and reddish fletchings, compared to the white and green ones he is currently using.