Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Dark Tower series - Stephen King

Discussion in 'Horror Books' started by Springsheen, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Springsheen

Springsheen Member

Anyone else read it? Amazing Series. I have read the entire series about 4 times now, I love it that much :Grin:

2. tink

tink Well-Known Member

LOVE it. One of the greatest book series ever. I even like the silly parts.

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yes, I started reading this series circa 1993. Have you read all the satellite books that tie into the plot, like Talisman and Black House, Hearts in Atlantis, etc?

4. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

Yep. Great series. A large portion of his other novels tie into the series in one way or another. Even novels that don't appear to. Most of King's stories take place in different universes that exist on different levels of the Dark Tower and can be reached, though only rarely, through Thinnies.

5. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I want to get into it for the first time once i finish the few series I have to read.

6. Neuropyramidal

You'll like a lot I think. I read this series over a span of over 20 years, waiting for each book to come out. I think that's part of what makes it so dear. But reading it straight through quickly would be a treat as well.

7. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

It's probably my next read after GOT. I'm on book 2 now.

We seem to have similar book tastes as well.

8. Neuropyramidal

If you tell me you are also into 19th Century Russian literature and have read almost everything ever written by Dostoyevsky, and Pushkin, and Gogol, i'll think we might be the same person. Except I don't smell like hens. :p

9. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Around Christmas, 1987, my dad took me to the mall to pick out my Christmas present. We went into B. Dalton books, and there on a high shelf was a book by Stephen King I'd never heard of called 'The Drawing of the Three', published by Donald Grant. Even though it was $90, I convinced my dad that was all I wanted, so he bought it for me.

I loved it. I also found out there was one previous book of this series that I would never be able to get, and at that time King had said these were just his vanity books and he wouldn't publish them in anything but a limited run. Thankfully he changed his mind about that. And I have one of the original limited run gift editions. :D

10. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Well at least that is cleared up. I don't want another identity crisis.

11. Neuropyramidal

Very nice.....1987 at B Dalton Books brings back fond memories. I was still in my 50's then, young and careless, hardly knowing where my next meal was coming from, but I still managed to read like a book a week. :p. Our grandchild will be like "you used to walk into a building and buy books where you had to manually turn paper????"

12. Springsheen

Springsheen Member

No I haven't! And I'm really annoyed at myself that I haven't!
    It's on my to do list.

13. frawniemae

frawniemae Well-Known Member

I started reading the series when the first book came out. It took YEARS to finish because it took him years to write them but well worth the wait. I just had to know how it would all end. I know some were very disappointed in the conclusion but all I can say is that it ended the only way it could have. I've re-read the series a couple of times. In fact, I have read all of SK's novels. I have them all in hardcopy plus a few short stories on my kindle. Long live the Master!! he has changed a bit over the years. His near death accident changed his style for awhile but nearly dying would do that to anyone, I suppose.

14. ShaunoftheDead

Love The Dark Tower series!

“First comes smiles, then comes lies. Last is gunfire.”

― Roland Deschain

15. JoeTzu

JoeTzu Active Member