Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The female-centric thing was too obvious in this one

Discussion in 'Episode 903 - Warning Signs' started by Singtress, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

Last time I checked I was female, so I should be totally on board with the Lady’s taking charge theme.
    But I feel like it was really forced on us last night.
    Michonne is the one designing the new town and making it safe...
    Maggy is making big decisions and looking as unwashed as Daryl...
    Arat and Laura took control of Savior groups that were getting out of control...
    Carol was gonna finish it if Arat and Laura couldn’t...
    Anne is trading people and taking down her man...

Did I miss anybody?

I just felt like I was watching a writing decision, and not an organic way things would play out. Which, you know, otherwise happens allllll the time on this show.

2. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I didn't get that impression at all...why wouldn't women like Michonne, Maggie and Carol be as involved as they are?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

They would. But my point is that, other than a decision by Rick, every major issue was being handled by women.
    I guess the Laura thing stood out to me the most.

4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Out of everyone (as of this season) Michonne is the most level headed, followed closely by Carol. So it stands to reason that she would be the one to draft the charter

Of course Maggie is making big decisions. She is the leader of Hilltop. Just as Rick is making big decisions. Being female does not preclude her from making decisions. And being the leader of the community, that at this point in time, is thriving more so than any other certainly packs a punch to her ability to lead

Tossing about the phrase "female centric" comes off to me as hinting at a strong positive female presence on the show. Having Anne once again show us her dark side in no way fashions her as a strong positive presence so in my definition of female centric she would not be included in this list.

Carol has a cooler head than to be that person who just starts shooting people among an angry mob. Yes she admits to Rick that she just wanted to end it but her cooler head prevailed. Just as Rick admits that every morning he wants to kill Negan and then the saviors...yet his cooler head prevails. It stands to reason that if we can accept Rick's battle against his inner thoughts to kill then we should also offer the same acceptance to Carol.

I see it as we are finally being given the opportunity to have the layers of these characters peeled away.

#4 Dnae, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Other than Daryl and Rick all of the original team is dead, so I didn't find it surprising that the women are being focused on. The King went home, so he wasn't part of last night's episode, but since Carol is now leading up the Saviors she was front and center.

But if you look a things, the Heap and Oceanside were already led by women, and now with Maggie leading Hilltop and Carol leading Saviors, of course they have to have a focus on women doing things. Michonne has been working to get the laws put into place for all of the episodes this season, so that's not a new thing. She'll probably lead Alexandria once Rick is out.

#5 tink, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Weallgotit

Weallgotit Well-Known Member

I didn't see anything wrong with the lady's making the moves they made in this episode at all. Mostly the positions they are in currently go back to last season before the time jump. Or they were stated in the premier episode. Everything pointed out by the two previous posters is dead true. Most of the men are busy trying to fight, trying to take guns, plotting revenge, getting injured or knocked out and threatening people to make any profound decisions. So who's left to be leaders and make decisions? I'm just saying.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Doesn't bother me at all. And yes, I'm a guy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I thought it flowed quite naturally, and many of the women taking over are who we would expect to step up.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

It's interesting you pointed it out, Singtress, because otherwise I wouldn't even have noticed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

A lot of the remaining long-standing characters are female and have been built up to have crucial roles in society, so, yeah. Of course they're going to be more important.

Rick, Daryl, Carol, Maggie and Michonne are the five oldest characters. Three of them are women.

If you want to see it as the writers pushing an agenda, whatever, but it's more or less just the natural progression of the series.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I actually like the fact that the women are taking over. I don't feel it's forced at all, each one of these characters has grown into their position during the course of their story. So it makes sense.

This is one of the things TWD has always done really well, inclusion without being forced. Be it gay/lesbian couples, interracial, gender. We have seen it all and none of it feels forced. It all feels very natural to the story.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Singtress

Singtress Active Member

I’ve seen so many interviews with cast and Kang, talking about how female-focused this season is, that I couldn’t help but notice, I guess.

You are right in that Michonne, Carol and Maggie seem correct.
    It was the fact the Savior women were also taking over their group that made me pause, I guess. I think that is what felt most out of place to me.

13. Seventh_son

Seventh_son Well-Known Member

Exactly. It didn't even register with me that this ep was female-centric. But, yeah, I guess it was, now that I think about it. Pretty cool, actually.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. KiernansFaerie

KiernansFaerie Active Member

Some of the strongest, most capable characters in the show are female.
    It just seemed natural to me that they would be playing these parts at this point.
    I like the way they're headed so far.

• Agree Agree x 3