Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Gov is right

Discussion in 'Episode 316 - Welcome to the Tombs' started by walkerluver, Apr 1, 2013.

1. walkerluver

walkerluver Member

As much as I hate the Gov, he's right: "Kill or be killed".

We've seen what trying to be a nice guy has done. Andrea was trying to save everyone by being a nice guy. She could have saved everyone by slitting the Gov's throat when she had the chance. But she didn't. And that ended up getting her and dozens more people killed.

Rick could have killed the Gov when they met by planning ahead. But he didn't.

Carl has the right attitude to survive: Kill or be killed.

2. WrongAboutCarl

WrongAboutCarl Active Member

Then what would be the point in continuing to live? Anyone can look back and say what should've been done. Hindsight is 20/20. Yes, in order to survive, you have to do something's in TWD world you wouldn't otherwise do. But Andrea was the one who was right. "You can't do things by yourself anymore". There has to be some human decency and family or, there's no point to survival.

3. IHDiesel73L

IHDiesel73L Member

I think that's the driving point behind the show/comics-that humanity is doomed and that there is no hope. It only gets worse. More people die, more people become desperate, ruthless, and willing to kill or be killed. Look at Rick's group-they went from an idyllic farm where internal strife tore them apart before the walkers finally found the place, to a prison. Safe as it was for a while, there's a certain irony to having to find safety behind prison walls. Now even that will likely become unmanageable and unsustainable. The struggle to survive drove Rick's best friend to try to assassinate him, now it can be argued that his son may eventually do the same given his developing ruthlessness and disapproval for his father's leadership.

As for the hopelessness and meaninglessness of life after the ZA, I think Morgan said it best:

4. walkerluver

walkerluver Member

Oh Really? Look where it got her. She had human decency but did not survive along with dozens of other people. The Gov didn't have any decency and he's alive. So who's right?

Sorry but I'd rather have no decency and be alive than decency and dead.

5. IHDiesel73L

IHDiesel73L Member

That's what it's all about. The surviving humans have no dignity, morals, or guiding principles, except, "stay alive at all costs." They've been reduced to simple animals in a pointless existence where they are driven on by nothing more than a primitive part of their brain that will struggle against all odds to keep oxygen passing through the lungs and blood pumping through the heart. Nothing more. The reality is they are no different that the walkers they so fear becoming.

6. walkerluver

walkerluver Member

I like it!!:Grin:

7. zombie_ninja50

my favourite quote this season. you kill or you die, or you die and you kill

#7 zombie_ninja50, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  8. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

I see what The Gov is saying but he's still wrong overall. The way he treats and kill others is unethical. That's the problem here for him. Most of his victims probably never even tried to kill em. (ex. national guard). He just wants power and control. That's where it fails.

Rick however has killed for self-defense but he's still too much of a nice guy.

9. IHDiesel73L

IHDiesel73L Member

Ethics? What are ethics? Animals have no ethics. Animals have no morals, or feelings, just instincts. That's the horror of this whole thing.

10. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

This statement is right when it comes to people that are threats. The Gov, however, doesn't live by this. With him it's do what I say or I'll kill you. Had he not been an ego driven blood thirsty nutter there would've been no reason for any killing, and both groups could've merged and become a thriving beacon of hope in the middle of a zombie infested waste.

11. Ricktatorship80

That's also one of my favorite quotes.

"You kill or you die....or you die and you kill"

12. GreekSalads

GreekSalads Active Member

Yes, TWD is based where morals don't exist anymore. However, some characters want to bring that back. They want to bring civilization back. What The Governor wanted to do, but it's the complete opposite now.

13. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

That's exactly the reason to try and maintain your humanity to some degree.

14. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

For the adults morals still exist, it's just that people choose not to follow them now.

15. WrongAboutCarl

What Andrea was right about was that you can't do things by yourself, you need other people . It's what she told them as she was dying. She tried to make the peace and save everyone on her own and died for it.

16. WrongAboutCarl

This is also the lesson Rick is learning. You need other people and have to be open enough to give human civilization a chance to survive. If not, then in the end they'll all be dead, and all for nothing. And he needs to teach it to his son, or Carl will become no better than the Governor who Rick is fighting against.

17. Reflexx

Reflexx Member

Rick is not a nice guy. Just ask Orange Backpack Guy! lol

I think the secret to success in the post-apocalyptic world is that you need to find people you can trust. However, you also need to be careful. But don't be so protective that you don't give others the chance to earn your trust.

If I were Rick, I'd want to actively look for other survivors when I go on scavenging missions. If they are already with a group, then try to establish some sort of trade agreement with them. If they aren't part of another group, offer them a chance to earn their way into my group.

18. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Member

That's the MO in "State of Decay" (which is a lot of fun to watch, but my husband isn't playing anymore because he says it's too much like work). You can't do things (like upgrading to a better compound) before you have a certain number of people. And the game gives you a lot of info about the survivors you can pick from (lush, leader, shooting skills, etc.). But you have to take a whole group, so you need to judge if, on the whole, these are people you want. Just like in TWD.

Of course, in the game, you can take over any character, walk them outside and let them get nibbled to death without much in the way of consequences, so if that awesome engineer/warrior comes with an addict, you can take them both then get rid of the lush. Tougher when you know you'll have to have a group meeting about it.