Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Governor vs Negan

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Comic Characters' started by TheILLness, Mar 18, 2013.

1. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

so i see alot of comparisons between the 2 biggest antagonists of TWD and it got me to wondering a few things. like, which villain do fans like more, which is more evil, which will have had the bigger impact on Rick & co, which is more dangerous?

now The Gov is a much more complex character, but he also has a novel dedicated to him and his arc has already come and gone. i mean what do we really kno about Negan?

hes good at ping pong, loves to say ****, has a very strong sex drive. then theres Lucille, an item which i thing holds alot more meaning than we kno at this point. probly even deeper meaning than Michonnes sword.

each has firm control over their people, but they use different methods. and actually, both use fear to control their people, but they make them fear different people (Negan, himself. The Gov, Rick & co). both violent, one more sadistic, the other more brutal. that isnt to say the Gov isnt brutal and Negan isnt sadistic. Negan plays mind games, perfect example is Dwight and Rick. i dont see him doing something like The Gov did to Michonne. and i dont see The Gov being able to do something like Negan did to Glenn. the more i think about it, the more i see that Negan and The Gov are like polar opposites.

i wouldnt be surprised if Negan has had some sort of power position ever since the ZA started. he probly hasnt faced many trials or tribulations. no family or friends to lose. again we could learn more in future issues but i think my assumptions will hold true. part of what made the Gov what he was in the comics was all the shit he went through as detailed in the book. Negan talks a big game but i dont think hed be able to come back from something like what Michonne did to the Gov. he doesnt really seem to have mental/emotional problems. i mean yea hes a bastard but i do think hes sane, unlike The Gov and sometimes Rick. altho, as i mentioned earlier Lucille could elude to something deeper.

so to answer my own questions. i like Negan more his cockiness just appeals to me for some reason. however The Gov is definitely more evil, no doubt in my mind. i will say they are equally dangerous. The Gov is less predictable b/c of his mental instability. but as we see that got him back in the end. as well as his deception of his people. Negans organization and control of his people makes him dangerous.

now who will have a bigger impact? on Rick personally The Gov def takes the cake, no question. but the group, i think that remains to be seen until the Savior arc ends. both antagonists caught the group off guard, crushing their false sense of security. the group lost alot of people at the prison, but to The Gov/Woodbury they lost Lori, Judith, Hershel, Shawn (i think, i never remember the Greene kids except Maggie), Alice, Axel and of course Tyreese. Negan and the Saviors have only killed Glenn and Abraham. and while those are def 2 major characters, especially Glenn, just the sheer numbers plus major character deaths at the hands of Woodbury gives The Gov the edge as having a bigger impact so far. Tyreese, Lori and Hershel and maybe even Alice seeing how useful she was, were some devastating deaths.

as you can see this has been something ive put alot of thought into. love both characters, but even tho i like Negan more id have to say The Gov is a better character. everything about him and what happened during his time in the series is just so legendary. so share your thoughts and opinions, im really interested to see how other people feel about these 2 assholes lol.

2. Driver

Driver Well-Known Member

The Governor by far has had the biggest impact on the group. Not only did Rick lose his wife and daughter, Maggie lost Hershel and her brother.. Like you pointed out the numbers are astounding, If only for that I'd say The Governor was more effective as A villain. He won, If only for A moment... He defeated Rick and forced them to flee. Negan won't defeat Rick, And I don't think Negan will have the sort of lasting effects that The Governor has had on the whole group.

3. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

agreed. i do think with Negan there is a level of trying to replicate the Gov. im sure many people consider the prison/woodbury arc to be the best part of the comic, so why not try and do it again but switch it up. like i mentioned Negan and The Saviors are the polar opposite of The Gov and Woodbury. many similarities between the 2 but really nothin like each other. but i also believe the Savior arc is far from over so well shall see how that goes

4. Driver

Driver Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, I think Negans gonna be A threat for some time... I actually like this arc more than the Woodbury v. Prison arc, The characters are more hardened and interesting IMO. I'll be very interested to see where this whole Ezekiel/Rick/Negan/Dwight story goes... I hate Dwight though, He killed my favorite character. RIP Abraham.

5. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Negan would crush the governor not that i dislike the gov. i just think Negan right now is all kinds of crazy but still in control and the Gov. had lost his grip i mean it was his own people that ended him not even ricks group

6. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

The governor has done more damage, but I like Negan more...

7. Driver

Driver Well-Known Member

Me too. He's got more depth to him I think.

8. GeekBait

GeekBait Member

When Carl went to The Saviors' base and killed 5 or 6 of them with the intention of killing Negan, Negan let him go untouched. If Carl had done this in Woodbury, The Governor definitely would have mutilated somehow or even killed him.

9. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

Agreed. But this is only the beginning, we'll see a lot more from Negan. It was weird though how he let him untouched... Probably because he's just a kid. He has also wanted to show to Rick and the others that he could be reasonable, how he said... But for how long, that's the question.

10. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

On terms of impact I can't say yet. The saviors arc is nowhere near finished. For all we know Negan kills Rick's entire group. (he won't but still) In terms of danger i would put Negan above. he is just as unpredictable from what little we've seen. I like Negan more but the Gov. has a bigger effect until we finish Negan's arc. In a fist fight? Negan no question.

11. GeekBait

GeekBait Member

Well, I think Negan is capable of being a bigger threat than The Governor, but unlike The Governor (who didn't try negotiating and just wanted to kill everyone) he just wants to have total control and won't cause any violence against anyone (unless you sleep with one his "wives" or disobey him, then your pretty much f**ked).

12. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

True. If you follow his rules - he will be reasonable, and if you don't - it could get real ugly.

13. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

It's why I like Negan more he's not psycho for the sake of being psycho.

14. Walter White

Walter White Member

The Governor and Began are both strong villains but Began can be worse but will actually negotiate unlike the Governor which if you don't agree with him he will just kill you instead.

15. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

I like this discussion a lot more than I thought I would. Now I'm going to throw out that I haven't read any companion material so the Gov's book is right out. However from the comics, I would say that the Gov has the advantage in some aspects. For instance he didn't even bother to extend a glad hand. He took in Rick,Glenn, and Michonne and went right for the torture(well the promise of death then torture).

Negan on the other hand, once he got involved talked first. Actually he sent several messages first before bringing out the violence. I think he understands that the threat is just as powerful as the deed. Making him the more cerebral of the two. Heck the Gov didn't even understand that his vendetta against team prison wouldn't carry to his people. Negan gets that his lieutenants work for him out of fear. I mean he burned half of Dwight's face off and he still considers Dwight "loyal".

Another example would be Negan and Carl. The Gov wouldn't have let Carl go, and Negan didn't do it out of pity or compassion. He knows what comes next. [MENTION=1346]TheILLness[/MENTION] mentioned that the Gov and Negan might be polar opposites. I think Rick and the Gov were polar opposites and that Rick and Negan share a commonality. I just think Rick took longer to reach some of the points that Negan has already become comfortable with. We might even see Rick slip a little into a Negan like role if Kirkman isn't careful with the direction Rick is going.

Overall these are some very well written bad guys. The Gov is way more erratic than Negan though and I believe that had the Gov not been taken out by his own people that Negan certainly could have had that fate planned for him. That's just the kind of S.O.B. he is and he gets my vote for best villain of TWD thus far.

16. Rick_Tatorship

Negan is a weird antagonist to me because he does not seem evil, just uses his power and numbers in his group to scare people into giving him supplies. I still think that all the surrounding communities like the hilltop, Ezekial's group and the rest of them should team up and take out The Saviors.

17. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

Negan because he is a very unconventional villian, and sometimes he is kinda funny when he is starts cursing senseless lol, The Governor was a great villian but more typical (but he did more damage, I'll give you that), but Negan

18. maceman

maceman Member

I like the character Negan. I actually just started re-reading. Sometimes simple characters are too simple and complex characters are too complex. I think Robert Kirkman started the whole thing right. I heard there's a video game for xbox ?

19. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

Good read :) i like Negan a lot it's not to say he is better he simply make me laugh and that is what tipped the scales in his favor. I agree with a lot of what you said you have some really great point but i think one major factor is missing and that is that Rick's group is tired.The Gov. really did a number on them they lost their safety of the prison had to go back on the road found safety again and once again the rug was ripped out from under them. Michonne was ready to never take her katana down again Maggie and Glenn wanted to move to the hilltop for a more stable home life even Abraham felt relaxed enough to say to Rosita beat it we don't have to be together so we won't. And Negan rolls in and deals them a heavy blow right out of the gate that would shock the hell out of me. I think one key things to remember about the Gov. is he was insane and that is what pushed him to do the things he did and it also pushed him too far. Either way it will be fun to read :)

20. MrSmith317

MrSmith317 Active Member

There are 2 TWD games. The good one is: The Walking Dead (A point/click adventure by TellTale Games) . The bad one (which isn't completely bad but not really good either) is The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct. The TellTale game is excellent and covers a lot of pre Atlanta story but for a completely different group. Survival Instinct is a first person shooter based on Daryl/Merle's pre-Atlanta days.