Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Grove, and why I think it's overrated

Discussion in 'Episode 414 - The Grove' started by clarky241, Apr 6, 2014.

1. clarky241

clarky241 Member

Okay, I get it, you all loved The Grove. One of the best episodes of the season, possibly of the series, blah blah blah. But was it really? Would you all have had the same opinion if at the end of the episode, Lizzie and Mika were still alive?

I agree that killing off the children was a brave choice, and an interesting one. But do you guys really love the episode? Or just the scenes in which Lizzie kills Mika and Carol kills Lizzie? Maybe the end conversation between Carol and Tyreese too, that was a nice touch. And you know what, this episode needed those scenes. Because before that I have to say I was sitting there bored for 45 minutes.

I just found it so dull. The development of Lizzie was annoyingly inconsistent: we can't kill walkers because they're my friends except sometimes I understand that we have to but actually I don't understand and I'm going to kill my sister now to prove it. I was losing track of what her mindset was in the end. And then between all that we have an episode of smoke rising through the trees, hunting deer, jokes about testicles and picking pecans.

And that's why I find The Grove to be so overrated. I just don't believe the last 15 minutes can justify 45 minutes in which I found the ad breaks more interesting. Does anyone else agree?

2. clarky241

clarky241 Member

Haha yeah, I can imagine I'll get quite a bit of that. Each to their own I guess.

3. Walkers_TWD

Walkers_TWD Well-Known Member

Nope I disagree.

4. Walkers_TWD

Walkers_TWD Well-Known Member

Exactly :)We all have our own opinions.

5. TyberiusFox

TyberiusFox Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, me too!! Although I just chalked it up to that fact she was insane and I'm not.

#5 TyberiusFox, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  6. I'mRickGrimes

I'mRickGrimes Member

I'd say it was a good episode, not one of the best but a decent one. I don't think it is overrated. Some people might just like seeing kids die. :zombies_blush:

7. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

I don't understand your argument… Would you have the same opinion if Lizzie and Mika were still alive? Well, no, if you take out the most important part of the episode, that everything had been building up to, it definitely wouldn't have been as good, lol. :zombies_lol:

The whole episode was full of tension, right from the start all the way through to the end. Crazy Lizzie, the moments where you weren't sure if Carol would tell Tyreese the truth about Karen or how he would react… Not just the girls deaths.

8. clarky241

clarky241 Member

That's just the thing, I couldn't feel any tension at all, especially not where Lizzie's behaviour was concerned. Something to do with her acting ability maybe, I didn't really feel convinced by her. I wasn't really expecting the episode to go any where, and I think the reason people think it was one of the best was because it was 45 minutes worth of 'meh' and bits and bobs with a shock ending.

Even the Carol and Tyreese thing disappointed me a little. I thought Tyreese's reaction was really nice, how he shook and grabbed the table and tried to resist grabbing the gun, but as soon as he forgived Carol that was it, they got up and left and that was that. It was if the whole thing had just been pushed aside. Which is nice for the characters, sure, but I just didn't believe it.

I don't know, I just wasn't a fan of the episode in general, just wanted to get my unpopular opinion across I guess :)

9. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

That last part is just as applicable to every one who is a fan of the show--and/or posts about it--as it is to those who value this particular episode.

10. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Are we supposed to formulate a new opinion based on a "what if" factor? Or somehow mentally remove that aspect of the episode out of our minds and critique the episode? I don't get it. What's the point of doing that?

I'm didn't like or dislike this episode based on what might have happened, I base my opinion of the episode on what actually happened, and that culminated in the deaths of Mika and Lizzie. And yes that played an important part in why I liked the episode but I can't say if I would have liked it more or less had that not happened because that's not possible.

11. Cody V

Cody V Member

Lizzie was always nuts and the writing was always on the wall that she would have a breaking point. What made this episode so highly rated was the brave choice they made by killing off children, albeit off camera. What makes The Walking Dead so good is that it's not afraid to explore the subjects considered "off limits." Again, The Walking Dead isn't about just killing walkers, it's about human interaction in a world essentially without any set rules. There is a lot of high risk, high reward associated with doing episodes like this. It wasn't one of my favorites, but it was very well written and well acted by both of the actresses playing Carol and Lizzie. I felt like Tyreese was mostly just a bystander, but overall he got a lot of answers that will effect his actions going forward.

12. Sadie Dixon

Sadie Dixon Active Member

I thought the entire episode was great. Literally every scene was perfect imho. Best episode