Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Last Kingdom

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Stealth, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Yes, and with the focus now on films they could always pick the story up further down the line and he can still do other projects.

I could see Dreymon being a fit for a role in some future House of the Dragon spinoff.

Be glad you didn't watch The Last of Us. It was largely a disappointment. It wasn't bad, just mediocre. They toned down the violence, the infected and conflict. I remember when George Romero called The Walking Dead a soap opera with zombies. Well, this was a soap opera without them.

I've been very critical of The Walking Dead, but this show was no match for those early seasons. Yes, it has a bigger budget so it looks better. But after the Meh finale I thought back to that Season 2 scene with Shane and Rick in the field and thought about how much The Last of Us lacked that intensity, emotion and grittiness.

• Like Like x 1
  2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Well now, that was exciting! Whad’ya think @Stealth? Lot’s of Medieval double agents. Good battle scene. Uthred got his sword back and kept the line strong with a strategy that won the day for Athelstan. We saw he got to live for a time in peace in his ancestral home and raise his youngest son and know he survived the battle. What an ambiguous ending though! I’m going to interpret it that Uthred was the seventh king to lose his life in battle and that he went through the doors to Valhalla to join with all those that went before him.

If TPTB want another movie they could start by showing Uthred wasn’t ready to go yet (he did look back into the room with the living) and survived long enough to see his son married with a child to carry on his line. Dying from battle wounds though is the fitting way for a Danish warrior to meet his end but it seemed scripted to let each viewer decide for themselves which way it went.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stealth

I enjoyed it and thought it was well done. I was left wanting more though, in the sense that I thought this would've made a great full season instead of a film. I think the villain here was very good and deserved more time in a Season 6. The way he had gotten Athelstan's trust was interesting and I would've like to see his double dealing and treachery play out over an extended period.

All the kings coming together was interesting too and I wanted to see more with the brutal cannibal Viking guy.

I'm not complaining really, I just feel it would've been one of their best seasons with all the scheming and twists playing out over an extended period. But we were spoiled with a very good show for 5 seasons, so if you're in a spot wanting more then overall they did their job.

As to the ending, I agree that it leaves it open. I don't see it as Uhtred going one way or the other actually. Even in the narration they said there was no record of him beyond the battle, yet in the books I hear Uhtred lived to old age.

I suppose they're leaving it open to pick up the story again, depending on how the film is received. The reviews from critics and fans have both been overwhelmingly positive too.

It would've been fun if they had done maybe a trilogy of films telling the story that just played out. There was so much I wanted to see explored indepth, like the dark turn Athelstan took for a bit.

I was a little surprised that Eadith wasn't in the movie, and would've like a cameo from Hild, maybe at the end.

Nice job though in making all the elements they had in there work over the course of a 2 hour film. That can't be easy when they're accustomed to longer storytelling.

• Like Like x 1
  4. purriwinkle

I totally agree that they could have fleshed out some of the more intriguing characters by expanding this part of the story arc. Yup, we also could have used some context as to how certain situations came about , like as you mentioned with Athelstan, for instance. How did he meet that Dane posing as a priest? How was he so convincing? Was it part of his “job” as a spy to seduce the young Prince? Etc. What we got was the Cliff notes version but again, I agree they did a good job with the time they had to tell the story considering those twists and turns.

We’ll just have to wait and see if they give us more in the future. In the meantime I think I’ll give Mrs. Davis a look see. It drops on April 20th, I believe, on Peacock. How ‘bout you? Anything new that you’re going to tune into while we wait for the return of some of the shows we viewed last year?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stealth

I also would've liked to see the execution/hanging of Aldhelm expanded on. It would've been the better part of an episode itself in a series. You know they would've made the moment as tragic and epic as some of their other character deaths.

I read that they're going to do a series based on other books from the writer that the Last Kingdom was adapted from. It's called Winter King. It's a retelling of the Arthurian legend. I don't think it's going to come out this year though.

There's a series premiering on Prime at the end of the month, The Citadel. It stars Richard Madden who played Robb Stark. I'll give it a chance, but I'm unsure at this point. It could be decent, or ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
  6. purriwinkle

The Citadel looks a little more serious than Mrs Davis which might also be decent but already ridiculous in an amusing and unusual way, I hope, lol.

I check in here occasionally if there’s something to discuss viewing wise. Hopefully we won’t have to wait too long for those shows we already like.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stealth

Ridiculous can be fun though. That's the appeal of The Boys on Prime. The core of that story is a bunch of superheroes that are bad. It's hilarious at times.

We have to wait until summer of 2024 now for House of the Dragon. They are doing two spinoffs as well, Aegon's Conquest and the Dunk and Egg novellas are both in development.

I read where Interview with the Vampire might be back at the end of this year, but Season 2 could be delayed until early 2024 too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. purriwinkle

I think I’m going to actually be looking forward more to the Dunk and Egg spin-off rather than Aegon’s conquest. It’s not that I think the later would be bad but I absolutely LOVE those novellas. Ser Duncan is one of my favorites. I only hope they can do them justice as so much of what you love about that knight is his inner dialogue. He’s truly one of the good guys…and so is Egg. Not to mention that era of the Targ dynasty and Westeros in general is truly interesting.

I hate that we have to wait so long for all these shows but I guess that’s how it goes now days.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stealth

I'm looking forward to both. I wanted them to start with Aegon's Conquest and work through the history that way, but I think they chose the Dance because there's more family conflict etc.

I love those novellas too. Martin said season 1 will focus on the first one. So they have three seasons worth of material. My only concern here is that it's another unfinished GRRM work. He said in his blog he has time to write the others before they catch up. We've played this game before, so I'm not amused by his comments. He said he has to do Winds, Fire and Blood 2, Dream of Spring and then work the novellas in between. That's just crazy talk.

But going in I'll just count on getting three good seasons and not worry about what happens after. I hope they just end it there rather than going beyond the source material.

From what I've read we can expect Dunk and Egg first, which is smart. I can see that coming out before House of the Dragon ends, and then Aegon's Conquest will sort of be the successor show for HOTD. If they play their cards right, with the long wait time between seasons we could have one series running each year following Season 3 of the current show.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JuliankVx

JuliankVx New Member

Oh, totally get what you're saying! I've been hooked on that Netflix series too. The whole England vs. Vikings dynamic is just so intense, and I love how they weave in the historical backdrop. Season 3 was a total rollercoaster, right? The character development and plot twists were on point.

Delving into the realm of intense character studies, 'There Will Be Blood' emerges as a cinematic masterpiece that holds a special place in my heart on 123movies.go. Paul Thomas Anderson's exploration of ambition, greed, and the human psyche, coupled with Daniel Day-Lewis's transformative performance as Daniel Plainview, creates a riveting narrative that lingers in the mind long after the credits roll. The film's exploration of the human condition and the consequences of unchecked ambition adds layers of complexity that elevate it to a level of unparalleled storytelling brilliance.

#30 JuliankVx, Feb 11, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2024