Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Oath - Same Hospital?

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Webisodes' started by JeanneJacqueline, Oct 1, 2013.

1. JeanneJacqueline

JeanneJacqueline New Member

If you have seen the Newest Webisode series for Season 4, "The Oath", then you'd know the attempts at the hospital being the same. Clearly, they are meant to be. However, is this possible?
    Rick Grimes clearly woke up from his Coma when the words "Don't Open, Dead Inside" were already painted on the Cafeteria doors.
    But in TS-19, it is shown that Shane pushed the bed against Ricks door so the walkers wouldn't get him, and that wasn't moved when he woke up from his coma in "Days Gone By". What do you think? Was that a mistake in the writing, or on purpose and there is something I'm missing?

Also, what small differences in details of the set design did you notice?

:zombies_neutral: Thoughts?

2. Daryl Rocks

Daryl Rocks Well-Known Member

Is it the same car? The plate was 56914. Also is he the backpack guy?

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The whole mess of the Rick coma thing is a logical disaster, and this webisode only added to that. No one can live for a month without food or water [even if somehow his IV had continued to run, even on the lowest body maintenance settings, the IV would have run out within around 24 hours]. Plus anyone who did survive a month long coma with no nutrition would certainly not be riding horses and killing zombies within a day or two. But I guess we have to overlook that as poetic license...

But now this webisode comes along and messes up the chronology even further, lol. Now, somehow the sign on the door that Rick discovers wasn't painted until 'a few months' after everyone died. That kind of misstep in chronology is just an outright mistake, which is different from the suspension of disbelieve that we allow for things like coma victims jumping out of tanks.

But another thing I noticed is that it appeared that the cafeteria was on the first floor of this hospital in the webisode. In Days Gone Bye, Rick went down 2 or 3 flights of steps to get to ground level. [still possible, as the hospital was on a hill....but seemed strange]

#3 Neuropyramidal, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  4. Neuropyramidal

Good first post, by the way, I like people who jump right in and skip the 'hi, i'm new...I hope I like it here' orientation. :p

5. kjmarket

kjmarket Member

I may be off on this, but my thinking was that this took place fairly close to Rick waking up from his coma, and that the doctor was who kept him alive. She doesn't just kill people, she gets them to choose to die, therefore she'd keep Rick alive in his coma hoping that if he woke up, he'd make that choice. Also explains how Rick could have survived in a coma for so long without food and water. Just my thinking as I watched the webisodes.

6. AtlantaOverrun

AtlantaOverrun Well-Known Member

Gale must have kept him alive otherwise he would die in the hospital bed... Coma doesn't mean that you don't need food or water, that's why he had that infuse in his arm. Gale put is in there and probably did that untill he woke up. My question is, where the hell was Gale when Rick woke up? Did Paul shot her?
    I think Gale kept the bed against the door in case a Walker came in, just like the one Karina found. To protect Rick.

7. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

i think is was a huge failure at linking it to the first episode. that or they were simply making references. but it is quite confusing

8. MrNonsensical

MrNonsensical Well-Known Member

These webisodes were terrible, and this another reason why.

9. Alec96

Alec96 Well-Known Member

Agreed, they didn't even really link it all that well.

10. bula412

bula412 Well-Known Member

I don't believe that it was the same hospital. the hospital rick was in was in the middle of town. this place seemed to be in a more rural setting. there are signs that say "dead inside" or "overrun" mentioned throughout the walking dead universe. this is just another one of those instances. also, I don't think that rick was in the hospital for a month after it happened. I think that it was more like a week or so.

11. Neuropyramidal

But when Rick woke up the hospital bed was still blocking his door. No one had been in the room. And the doctor states that a 'few months' have gone by, while Rick was only in a coma for a month. I don't think this doctor has anything to do with Rick.

12. AtlantaOverrun

AtlantaOverrun Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think they did this weird chronological thing to confuse is all... Without any explanation in the series. This was just another stupid teaser.

13. Neuropyramidal

Yes, i'm considering this webisode just something to hold us over until October 13, and not really cannon to the show at all..

14. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

It was meant to be the same hospital, they just didn't film in the same location.

15. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

While it 'explains' somethings, it makes even more questions. If the Doc restrained the dude from the webisode and she was taking care of Rick then why didn't she restrain him?
    I'm thinking the 'chewed up' body in the hallway (episode 1) was the Doc's body. The dude shot her and drug it out of the room and some time later it was munched on.

If it was the same hospital and meant to be cannon, I think I'll just ignore it. It just seems too slap dashed together and nowhere near to other webisodes quality to me.

16. JeanneJacqueline

Thanks for every ones insight. I guess the fans just put a bit more into the show than the creators, which is always depressing.

Haha, I had way too much Walking Dead on my mind to attempt the whole "hi" part.

From what I can tell, they are both 2011 Hyundai Tuscan in light green. But the plate on the one that Rick and his group use is CE8-D819. So unless Paul thought he'd change the the license plate for no reason, then they must be different vehicles of the same make. However unlikely it is that the separate groups would both find the same limited edition vehicle in the same colour in the same general area.
    So, I'm just going to mark this up to Poor Product Placement used to make us believe that the characters are further tied together.

Had to add this bit in, I do not think the backpack guy is Paul. Paul was played by Wyatt Russell and the unnamed backpack guy in Clear was played by Russell Comegys.

This part also bothered me. I believe that Rick walked down 2 or 3 flights as well. But, when Shane was watching the military shoot the hospital workers down, it seemed a bit more like a first story place. Also the hospital seemed very small and in a rural area in the webisodes, but in "Days Gone By" there was no rural area around, unless it was the back of the hospital, but that would require the hospital to be half in the forest half in the town. I feel like no research was put into this episode.

From what I've read the water that is in typical coma bags can provide a person with water for about a hundred hours(not entirely sure about that though). I don't know about food. But assuming that all hell had broken loose by the time Shane had gone to the hospital, I think he would have attempted to change the water, just in case. So, I'm going to measure that up to about a week till Rick ran out of water. Then a person can go about three or four days without water, and much longer without food. I'd say Rick could have survived about ten to eleven days in the hospital since the virus broke out. Assuming that Gale had taken care of him, and replaced the water instead of Shane in my earlier prediction. Rick might have woken up days after Gale had been shot(I'm going to assume Paul shot her, I would have).

The biggest problem I have with the episode is still Gale saying it had been months since everything fell. If it weren't for that one line, the entire episode could have been much more believable, and I could have looked over every mistake in the episode.

#16 JeanneJacqueline, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  17. JeanneJacqueline

Really good point about the restraints. I did not think of that.

18. Neuropyramidal

Rick had a regular 1000 cc IV bag, which running at maintenance levels [low], would have run out within around 24 hours. He should have been dead within a few days of being left alone. I can overlook that, just like I did in Kill Bill, when Uma Thurman woke up after a 4 year coma, and within a day was executing perfect Kung fu moves, lol. But yeah, the big mistake here was Ellen Greene saying 'its been a few months'. How that mistake could be overlooked in editing, i'm not sure. But at least its just a webisode. If gross errors like this start showing up in the show, we're in trouble. :p

19. Ryan

Ryan New Member

I think it was meant to be an homage/symbolic to the first episode more than anything; there are too many continuity flaws, in my opinion, for us to take it all has having occurred prior to Days Gone Bye and Rick being there the whole time. It's too far-fetched.

The part about the doctor saying "too old" was indeed referring to actual people wanting the younger girl with 'long eyelashes' to rape, and they left her. Nothing to do with walkers (or "decays").

However, all the continuity stuff aside, what was the deal with him putting pliers up to her mouth at the end, then her coming out with a full set of teeth stull fully intact? That bit doesn't make sense to me.

20. Bob

Bob New Member

How Long Did The Walkers Take To Reach Rick & Co?

I agree the writing was a bit sloppy this go round, BUT here is a theory about how the two episodes MAY be tied together. Please forgive me if any timelines are wrong, as I'm working from memory.

I can't remember what the time frame given was in the first episode or the CDC episode, as to when the first signs of the outbreak happened. I think it was a little over 2 months since the CDC had been conducting research, according to Jenner, but I have no idea when the virus/reincarnation first showed up in the US. Was it simultaneous around the country/world or did it happen in stages? Was Rick in the coma for a month, or had a month simply passed since Shane left him in the hospital?

Given these variables, the doctor COULD have been aware that the outbreak had been happening around the country/state for a few/couple months - few being considered two, via post outbreak radio reports etc. (before these went offline). OR, military could have kept the walkers away from the hospital for certain a period of time, but she was aware of what was happening.

It's far fetched, but stay with me.
    The outbreak may have happened in other areas before spreading to Rick's town, which would mean a couple/two months could have passed. Gale COULD have possibly taken care of Rick for a while, it COULD have been a few months since the outbreak happened, and it COULD be possible that Rick woke up just after everything happened with the Dr. since I don't think Rick and Co. were traveling for more than a month before meeting up with Jenner.

Granted my timelines are correct, what do you think?