Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The old man in the hospital and code blue

Discussion in 'Episode 101 - Pilot' started by JohnnieWalker, Aug 25, 2015.

1. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Member

Watching the scene where the old man goes into a code blue got me thinking. Working in a hospital, I have witnessed multiple code blues. They generally work on the patient where they code and a large team usually responds.

They seem to move him out of the room quickly when they realize they can't save him. It's possible that the hospital staff had already known that the dead were already rising at that point, hence the need to move him out quickly to a quarantined area.

2. Alina

Alina Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought that was an odd set-up. Nick is supposed to be under restraint at that time yet they put him into a room with an old dying guy? I know that this sets up that Nick can subsequently steal the guy's clothes but why would a hospital put a guy under security next to a presumably general admission old dying guy? I don't know how American hospitals work but it just seemed weird to me and another example of TWD writers making it up as they go along rather than really thinking it out.

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Things like that are not unusual, especially if the hospital is overcrowded. Sometimes people just end up where they end up. As for the code blue, yes, in real life they would try resuscitating him for longer than 12 seconds. And it wouldn't make sense to move him right away. But I actually got the sense that they were moving him to a room where they could work on him better, not because they were giving up on him. That doesn't really make logical sense, but I think that's what they were trying to portray. Its possible the OP is right, and they already had an idea of what might happen. If I remember right, the nurse was looking at Nick during the code and saying "doctor.....doctor..." as if she was trying to warn the doctor that there was a witness there. So its possible they knew something. Having said that, I doubt it. Before the code the nurse was acting very detached towards the old man, and making flippant remarks. If she knew the dead were rising, then people would have been paying much closer attention to the very sick patients. That old man would have been looked after very closely. So in the end, I think they just wheeled the old man out of the room to serve as a plot device so Nick could steal his clothes.

#3 Neuropyramidal, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  4. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

What doesn't make sense is that the old man likely would have been put in a CCU...a Coronary Care Unit, with a nurse/staff ratio of at least 1/1 and probably 2/1. Constant monitoring.
    Since Nick's injuries were not life threatening, he would either be in a general/recovery room, or perhaps placed in a Psychiatric ICU as a druggie and possible suicide risk.

But yeah ...they needed a vehicle for Nick to get some clothes.

5. Neuropyramidal

Well, they were in the ICU. We don't know what the old man had. He may have had pneumonia. Nick would have eventually gone to the psychiatric floor but not until he was medically cleared and seen by the psychiatrist. He was hit by a car and could go into withdrawal. He wouldn't be transferred to psych that quickly. That's what they were waiting on, was the psychiatrist.

#5 Neuropyramidal, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  6. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Member

Good point on the need for Nick to get the man's clothes...you'd think I'd be use to such plot devices in The Walking Series by now...:zombies_lol:

7. Stuartino

Stuartino Member

If the hospital staff already knew about the dead rising and they knew the old guy was on his way out surely they should be restraining him? I am willing to accept the hospital is short staffed due to the flu outbreak and they are probably inundated with additional "ill" patients, thats why he wasn't surrounded by a crash team. By the time the parents turn up looking for Nick, the nurse knows then 100% thats why she couldn't care less where Nick is.

8. WhatThe...

WhatThe... Member

Maybe, Im willing to be generous here, its something to do with the fact that this all happened so fast. I have a feeling there were deleted scenes that may explain a few things. As Im reading the replies I just get a sense that perhaps everything happened so so fast that no one knew what was happening. Even if they had heard something was kicking off, it was still at such early stages that it hadnt a chance to sink in and no protocol was set up and bam it just hit them. The nurse did a good job at looking totally out of her depth.

9. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I think both shows suffer from the same problem, symbolism over thinking it out..

10. Neuropyramidal

After rewatching this scene, and listening closely to the dialogue, the doctor and nurse definitely know that something unusual is going on with the recently deceased. When the doctor comes in the room, he says "if we don't get a rhythm in 60, I want him downstairs. There's too much we don't know". So they know something is up. How much exactly they know, is unclear. This makes the nurses detached demeanor towards the old man pretty illogical.

11. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

And if any of this is true it hardly follows that it is somehow common knowledge in the public in L.A. too?
    I can only imagine that if the Hospital had begun seeing the dead rising up it might be a little hard to accept for a while and while they might start to put things together before anyone else,all of these things are going to happen throughout society at the same time and pace.
    Of course in a Hospital is where many people already die and not too many come back........so far!

If the Hospital suspected something was odd I can not accept that they just mingled the seriously ill and prone to die now with this much more casually sick like Nick?
    That would just be a terrible plot hole and a silly but convenient way to bring these things together to me.
    I hope this is not the case?

The other thing that I did not notice but will have to watch for again is,was the old man restrained too?
    If they suspected and had seen any other dead become undead then they would have to keep everyone about to go restrained too for me to accept that they thought this may happen.

#11 EZD, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  12. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

OK so now in light of new information,from the StorySync documents it seems the Hospital may have in fact known or suspected that things were going South!
    Still does nothing to explain why they did not take more certain containment measures though if they thought there were troubles coming from those pesky dead guys?

13. Lotuffi

Lotuffi Member

Are you talking about this?

Its actually fun read.. But I ques they cant restrain every patient without raising too many questions.

14. JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker Member

Assuming this happend in real life, they likely would not have the room to seperate patients who are likely to expire to those who are less likely to. The hospital I work in is already overcrowded and there are patients in the hallways. I can only imagine what it would be like during an outbreak of the shows magnitude. One thing's for sure is that I wouldn't be showing up at work...:shining:

15. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Yes,I thought that I was pretty clear when I said from the StorySync Documents.

I understand it might be sort of a challenge for them but.......seems like kind of a big deal too.

16. Lian

Lian Member

Yeah the get him downstairs seems odd to me 2.
    Like they have some quarantine area in the basement or something.
    :zombies_confused:

17. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Like a burning pit of fire maybe?

18. Spartangal22

Spartangal22 Member

I think the hospital already dealing with the living dead would also be a good explanation for the nurse's exasperation when Travis and Madison ask about Nick. She's like, "I have slightly bigger things to deal with right now."

19. John

John Member

Incinerator and/or morgue probably.

20. Lian

Lian Member

Yeah.
    Wasn't there a pile of covert up 'body's' when rick (twd) left the hospital ?
    Can imagine it starts with basement, and soon getting out of control and having to use the parking lot to store body's.