Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Opening Scene

Discussion in 'Episode 101 - Days Gone Bye' started by Hawaiian Shirt Zombie, Nov 20, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

The opening scene of Rick's confrontation with the little zombie girl has always bothered me. Not only because it is out of its rightful chronological place but because it screams, "Hey, you dumb-asses with tiny attention spans, look how violent this show is going to be. We just shot a little girl in the HEAD!!"

For possible stylistic reasons, I begrudgingly gave Darabont the benefit of the doubt on this blatant attention-getter scene as it was still unclear how the story would unfold and be portrayed to the viewer. Would it contain more flash-forwards? Would it reveal more of the backstory through flashbacks? Would it be a linear story? Would it be akin to Pulp Fiction and jump back and forth chronologically?

Now that we are midway through season 2, it is indeed safe to say that the opening scene was in fact an attention getter and nothing more. There have been NO further flash-forwards and, as the way the story is being portrayed, there is little likelihood of any further flash-forwards (the episode that was bookended with Shane's shower doesn't count in my opinion as the scene ultimately played out in its rightful chronological location).

Now, more than ever, the opening scene bugs the hell out of me and I feel that it drastically cheapens what would have otherwise been the best episode of the entire series. In hindsight, the scene remains a disappointing anomaly and it reflects poorly on the people who chose to think so little of the viewers in favor of a clear ratings grab. Shame on them.

#1 Hawaiian Shirt Zombie, Nov 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  2. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think it's so bad. Yeah, the girl was added as an attention grabber, but everything leading up to that really sets up the world he's living in, imo. Was it needed? No, but it doesn't hurt the stellar episode.

3. HisMrs

HisMrs Member

I actually loved it. It shows that the show is going to be violent, gory, and shocking. It's everything the show is right there in the opening scene. Marketing wise, it was brilliant. A little disturbing, yes, but it caught my attention and held it, so it did its job by me.

4. turbo6

turbo6 Member

I liked the opening sequence, for what its worth it summed up the entire feel of the series and what life is going to be like from here on out - a complicated, uncomfortable fight for survival.

For me, it really set the pace and the tone of the show. Sure, it wasn't sequential but stories don't always have to be told in a linear fashion.

5. mistertrouble189

mistertrouble189 Well-Known Member

I liked it. It got me pumped. Showed me that they're not afraid to go to extremes (showing the death of zombie children, etc).

6. K.c

K.c Member

I liked the scene , the King County Crown Victoria's where left over's from Batman Gotham city P.d .

7. DrBlive

DrBlive Member

I can see why people would see the opening scene as a bit much as it involves a girl getting shot in the head and landing in a splat of blood - zombie or not, it's still quite graphic and upsetting for some people. I can also see by people would think it was just an attention grabbing scene as this girl is very young. Does anyone know when this scene actually takes place in the dead timeline? I can't think of a time when Rick has had to pull over in a gas station to fill up. And besides, he didn't mention this to anyone.

8. ZombieCharmer

ZombieCharmer Member

As I learnt recently, this scene happened in between Rick leaving Morgan & Dwayne and reaching the house with the 'God Forgive Us' sign, where he took the horse from.

9. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

I think you are failing to see why they did that. The episode moves slow and the first walker we see chronologically is the non-threatening legless one on the ground

putting the little zombie girl in the beginning sets the tone "this is a bad ass show, not even children are safe and even children walkers are dangerous!"

Plus they had to do something to make the beginning different than 28 days later

Yes it was an attention grabber and I think it worked very well. Plus, not every episode follows a pattern. Some have flashbacks in the beginning, some don't. The two episodes dealing with the shane/otis thing had scenes all over the place and in all different orders......I think its cool that it's always different and doesn't follow a boring set pattern

10. DrBlive

DrBlive Member

Well that does make sense with it being in the Morgan/Duane timeline. Thank you for clearing that up

11. A1337sti

A1337sti Member

old thread.. but i'm gonna bump it up..

I really liked the opening scene for 2 reasons. that scene serves as the "you must be this tall to enjoy this ride" measuring stick at the fair. anyone can watch that scene and quickly decide if this is the type of show they can enjoy. and they can also decide if their kids/ friends/ parents should be watching

#2 when done well, it cuases the viewer to think more, to engage more with the story, which leads to a fuller sense of emersion into that story

IMO its the sort of thing that can easily be done wrong (leaving the veiwer to ponder plot holes, and what was the director thinking), but when done right its great, and gives a lot more enjoyment from re-watching. Like how watching certain movies the 2nd time is better , either due to telling the story out of order (pulp fiction) or having some bit of the mystery revealed near the end (fight club / total recall) that really comes into play when you watch it again.

12. Agramer

Agramer Well-Known Member

This!

I think the opening scene was ok, nothing special, but it was filmed in that way because they probably wanted to get the attention of people. The first seconds/minutes are very important for pilot episode so people could keep on watching it and I think they had made it well.

13. Nachtbringer

Nachtbringer Member

Spoiler for people who didnt watch further then Season 2.

14. Walker Bait

Walker Bait Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with a hook? TV, movies, and even theater use hooks all the time to grab audience attention. The only way it's cheap is if you have a script full of hooks with no substance, like a Michael Bay movie. Using a hook by itself goes all the way back to Shakespeare.

15. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

The viewer could see it that way if they choose, but it wasn't intended as forshadowing. Sophia's fate was nowhere in their minds at that point.

16. Axel

Axel Well-Known Member

I thought it was brill - not needed - but brill all the same. Every show/movie has at least one scene that just doesn't need to be there but it adds 'stuff'.

And I'm totally not one of those that get's upset about seeing zombie children being shot it the head.

MORE!!!

17. TheVacantThrone

I love it.

It portrayed 'This is The Walking Dead, and this is what we're about'

18. Lewk00t

Lewk00t Active Member

He didn't kill a little girl, he killed a walker that was going to kill him. ;)

19. contagiouskez

contagiouskez New Member

I liked how it started and I cudnt stop watching :)