Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Pocket Watch.

Discussion in 'Episode 705 - Go Getters' started by BulletofBullets, Nov 23, 2016.

1. BulletofBullets

BulletofBullets Active Member

Not sure if someone's already made up a thread for this, but I'd like to talk about the watch! What kind of symbolism do you think is behind it, if any? Why do you think Maggie gave it to Enid now?

2. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

It's a pretty clear meaning, really. The watch used to be Hershel's. Hershel gave it to Glenn before he died. It's essentially a Greene family heirloom. Maggie was going to keep it as a marker for Glenn's grave, but decided it would be more significant to give it to Enid. Enid's developed a close enough connection to Glenn and Maggie that Maggie considers her a part of their "Rhee family."

3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think it basically was Maggie's acceptance that Enid is worthy of fulfilling the role of comic Sophia. :p

4. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

Plus she's never on time for breakfast or lunch or afternoon tea or even elevenses which sometimes ends up being twelves or onesies, and forget about tiffin time.

Sent from my iPad using little or no insight.

5. BulletofBullets

I like the idea of it connecting her to the Rhee family! I was thinking it would just be a keepsake for her to remember Glenn by, but it seemed too meaningful to not tie her into the family like that. I love how close she's become with Glenn and Maggie :zombies_shocked: I definitely think she'll be a big part of Maggie's life now!

6. LolaDemented

LolaDemented Active Member

I completely agree. I am wondering with Enid becoming part of the family if we will learn more of her backstory.

7. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I understood it to be a gesture of Maggie's acceptance of Enid as family. But the sentimental side of me would have liked to see that watch passed on to Maggie's child. Hershel received it from his father, who had received it from his father. I also found it odd that Maggie was just going to leave it at Glenn's burial site. It is a tangible item than connects each generation to the last - how touching would it be to see Maggie give that to her child someday and explain how it belonged to his father, and before that his grandfather, and now it's yours, to pass on to your child someday.

I like Enid, but if I was Glenn and Maggies kid, I'd be wondering why Enid has the only thing that belonged to my father and grandfather, instead of me. But like I said, I get pretty sentimental.

8. BulletofBullets

you know what, I totally agree with you on this! As sweet as it was to give it to Enid, it would make more sense for Maggie to give it to her child. However, seeing as there's already a baby on the show and that Maggie gave the watch away, maybe the writers decided Enid would get it because they don't plan on Maggie's baby surviving? In that case, either they didn't think giving it to Enid would give away that fact, or they are foreshadowing it for fans who pay close attention to to things like this. Sorry, it seems while you're very sentimental I am very theoretical!

9. TheSlayingTaco1

TheSlayingTaco1 Well-Known Member

I hope so we do need to learn more about her. There is more to what we saw in JSS and season 5.

10. hiddeninside

hiddeninside Member

I think, giving that watch to Enid, was a great and meaningful gesture. Maggie has lost all of her family at this point - mother, father, sister, husband. Enid has lost her own family as well. Maggie knows about Enid's friendship with Glenn - they became very close after the episode with the green ballons. Also, there is no certainty the baby will survive. And even if... the child can't do anything with the watch for the next six or seven years. Who knows if anybody will survive long enough?

So, yes, I agree with everyone who sees this gesture as a sign that Maggie sees Enid as her "family". And who knows... if they all survive that long, and the watch still exists, Enid might pass it on to Maggie's child one day. ;)

11. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

yeah, I get what you're saying..longevity IS precarious in the ZA. I do try to avoid noticing the writer's hand as the story plays out, but you make a valid point. I guess my perspective is more from Glenn and Maggie's child's. Sasha, Maggie and Enid all have memories to draw upon, the child will never know Glenn and the watch would be a some kind of connection to his dad, and grandfather. But there's my sentimentalism again : )

I thought of that too..but hoping it's not any kind of foreshadowing of Maggie's death. It was a sweet gesture to Enid and shows that "family" is not just those bound by blood. Like I said above, life is precarious, but they seem to be moving forward in hope and resolution. If something did happen to Maggie I can totally see Enid taking the baby to raise.

I really need to rewatch this episode too. I've spent the last week and a half in and out of the hospital, seriously doped up. I know I watched it, but I don't remember much :Grin: Doing better now thank God, and looking forward to my Sunday night TWD ritual!

• Like Like x 1
  12. 92Pony

92Pony Active Member

As long as it doesn't mean an hour-long show devoted solely to Enid.:zombies_nosmile: