Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Queen's Gambit

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Neuropyramidal, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

This new show on Netflix follows a fictional chess prodigy who is a wizard at chess [and at being a drug addict] by the age of 9. This show is NOT what you would expect for a story about chess. I finished episode 4 last night and I like it so far. If you think you'd be bored by a coming of age show centered on a board game, give it a try, you'll be surprised. It has its flaws so far, such as the main character getting plastered on booze and pills and then still dominating chess tournaments the next morning, but I'm enjoying it a fair bit. On a personal note, a couple years ago I was involved with putting together a few chess tournaments in my town, and my contact info ended up on some flyers. One of the casting director assistants for this show is from my area and she called me asking if I knew any girls around age 9 who could play chess well, and who could maybe audition for the role of 9 year old Beth Harmon, the main character. I made a few phone calls, and sadly the chess players that age around here were not interested, but the role is cast well.

• Like Like x 3
  2. johnnyy

johnnyy New Member

I heard so many positive reviews about this show! I just started watching it but it seems to be quite entertaining.

3. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Really is pretty good show. Actually glad though that I didn't look into rather it was a true story or not until after I finished watching as it is pretty much just a story of a female Bobby Fischer. Since I have already watched movies about Fischer and know his story fairly well hearing that this was just a fictionalized version of his story probably would have taken a bit out of it for me.

4. BlackBird

BlackBird Well-Known Member

I loved everything about this show. I kinda want to forget it so I could rewatch like it was the first time again.