Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The radio broadcast in the hospital scene

Discussion in 'Episode 103 - The Dog' started by Camilleyun, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

So I've complained about the lack of media coverage thus far. I still stand by that but I rewatched episode 3 last night and realized I missed the radio broadcast that was playing as Travis Chris and the Salazars passed the hospital. I had to rewind and listen closely, couldn't distinguish some it , but got:

Governors in 11 states have declared a state of emergency..Assistance for the National Guard has been requested to quell riots and protests...the FAA is expected to ground flights in order to contain the virus...it is unknown if the information...(indistinguishable)....

At this point they pass hospital chaos and the loudspeaker announces " you are not able leave without proper clearance... Checkpoints have been established"... the radio is still playing but too low to hear until they get past the hospital.. then

...(indistinguishable)...so desperately need to get help...Despite the fact that the citywide curfew is now in effect, we are still getting reports... ( fades out)

I wish we could get a bit more of this, can anyone make out more than I did? And if they are including a broadcast like this , why do they make it so low that I missed it the first time? Like I said before, I think this would bring the audience into the same realm as our characters and help us to relate them.
    But now it's gone from reports in 5 other states to States of Emergency in 11, the FAA is grounding flights - it seems to be happening fast. The creators said they were going to show us the downfall, I think media coverage is a relevant aspect and would add to the sense of confusion and panic - more of this please.

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I actually kind of liked the subtly of the announcement in that scene. I think they were trying to focus more on what was happening in front of their eyes, and then in the background it started to sink in that that sort of thing was likely starting to happen everywhere. The franchise's subtly with things like this is actually something that I like. But I do agree that some of our characters should be tuning into news broadcasts more often. When Maddie, Alicia, and Nick were in the house alone, playing Monopoly, the majority of people would be trying to tune in to the news in one form or another, during the times that the power was on.

3. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

I missed it the first time too.. But the Clark's really should have been tuned at home too..or at the Barber shop too.. It creates more of a panic feel when your listening to it fall apart on the radio..

4. Camilleyun

Yeah, I accept that our crew would be more focused on what's unfolding in front of them, makes sense, but I don't appreciate the fact that it's so subtle that I completely missed it. The only reason I caught it the 2nd viewing was because I've been whining about the lack of coverage, I heard 'state of emergency" and had to rewind. I actually had to replay it several times and turn on the CC to catch what little bit I did - I don't want things to be *that* subtle, lol.
    Maybe like Zombiemom62 said in another thread, once the military takes control, we will see a bit more of this.I hope so.
    The Monopoly game...I know people are making fun of this, but I thought the whole idea here was for Madison to try and keep things normal - it was very late, Travis had been gone for many hours, Nick questioned Maddie why.. don't we just tell her (Alicia)..I was thinking Madison was keeping this from Alicia not because she's some fragile little cupcake in general, but because it would compel Alicia to go check on Matt. The scene where Alicia escapes from Susan on the fence and then Nick states...she's not sick, she's dead...Alicia immediately freaks " That's not Matt!!" Travis asks Nick why he said that, Nick replies ' it's the truth'. So my assumption was that Madison was trying to keep Alicia from realizing Matt's going to die if not already dead. Also if you listen to the dialogue during the game, they argue about who gets certain gamepieces and that one was always used by by their now dead father - Alicia says it feels like deja vu - I think Madison used this as much as a distraction for the kids as herself.

#4 Camilleyun, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  5. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, I can buy Maddie's attempt at normalcy, but I'm not sure about Nick and Alicia's lack of interest in news broadcasts as well. I would have liked to have seen a TV behind Alicia, and at least once or twice during that sequence she at least tries to turn it on. But its really a small point, and it didn't detract from the show. We all would behave a bit differently.

6. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

I think there is also a small element of rarely thinking of the obvious that is part of this type of show in general?

Like not picking up a gun lying there in front of you or taking a gun but not spare mags. Or leaving the door open or not even knowing the word"Zombie" and the list goes on and on.

There is a pretty huge disconnect with our reality required to even get into shows like this at all so it seems natural to extend that into all sorts of odd and inexplicable behaviors.

It does just seem like a silly omission to me too though.

I have several Weather apps on my phone and get push alerts all the time and you might assume there would be "Dead eating the Living" alerts pretty quickly into this event?

7. Camilleyun

I think this a common complaint right now but I do try to keep in mind that we, the viewing audience, know more than our characters, so we expect reactions based on our knowledge and not theirs. They are not living in the same universe ( yet) that most of us viewers came from in TWD - I think the carelessness, naivete, etc.. is supposed to reflect how far removed our group is from what's coming. The fanbase from TWD is both a help and a hindrance to FTWD - it generated a lot of interest, but also set some tough standards and scrutiny. I kinda feel for the actors in FTWD, they have a lot to live up to.
    Can anyone make out more of the broadcast than I did? I am hearing impaired in my left ear and have trouble listening when there's a lot back round noise - only a couple snippets appeared in the closed captioning. Not saying there is more, but I may be missing it?

8. Neuropyramidal

I just watched the scene again, and even the Closed Captioning doesn't pick up much of the news broadcast, but just to fill in some of the gaps...

Governors in 11 states have declared a state of emergency..to request Assistance for the National Guard has been requested to quell riots and protests...the FAA is expected to ground flights in order to contain the virus...it is unknown if the information..as to what exactly triggered this massive outbreak...

...those in need of assistance to keep...so desperately need to get help...Despite the fact that the citywide curfew is now in effect, we are still getting reports... ( fades out)

9. Camilleyun

So timeline wise, how long has it been since Tobias told Madison that there are reports in 5 other states but it's being denied they are related... to Governors of 11 states declaring a State of Emergency? I wonder if the 11 states are on the west coast and moving eastward.. or if it's more sporadic and showing up in more populous states first.
    I agree with you [MENTION=7785]Neuropyramidal[/MENTION], about seeing them at least attempt to find something out, but Madison was deliberately, imo, trying to keep Alicia from it and there were rolling blackouts, so that's a convenient excuse. Also we see Travis try to use his cell at the barbershop with no reception, so I guess we're lead to believe that cell phones/social media is down and would prevent a lot of information being passed around. I think it would be even cooler if they could include even a brief scene showing us some global coverage, to really drive home the fact that it's not only not isolated to a few states, but the whole world is collapsing.
    I guess I'm so stuck on this because the collapse of civilization as we know it is what intrigues me most about apocalypse shows.

10. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

That was an interesting scene for contrast. Like willful blindness.