Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Rain

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Neuropyramidal, May 10, 2018.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

@Jen7 and I just finished binge watching season 1 on Netflix. Good show. Apocalyptic, where the rain contains a deadly virus, and we follow a rag tag group of survivors. A vague walking dead feel at times, although at its core, quite different.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. jiggeryqua

jiggeryqua Active Member

I was going to give it a miss, because I assumed it had subtitles and I don't want to work that hard at watching television. But it was a YouTube TWD channel review of it that revealed it was dubbed, so my partner and I gave it a try. She gave up after a couple of episodes, citing poor writing, poor acting and poor everything else. I tend to agree - but it's only 8 episodes and I do want to know how it plays out, so I'm now halfway through.

The Walking Dead feel comes through strongly in the opening title sequence, almost as though they were less 'inspired by' and more 'outright copying'. I don't know why TWD bit me while Rain and FTWD failed, but we can rule out 'opening titles'...

3. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

could it be the dubbed-over English is making it come off a little cheesy? I watched with subtitles and I actually thought the acting was really good.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

I watched the trailer for this on Netflix last night and have added it to my watch list. Then I started re-watching season 4 of TWD LMAO!!

I don't know if I will ever get around to watching The Rain. I have so many shows on my Netflix watch list that I have never bothered watching. Somehow I think this show will end up in the never watched it graveyard

5. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Lol give it a try! I just wish I hadn’t binged it so soon because now I want season 2.

6. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Its dubbed? Ugh, I rather subtitles than bad dubbing

7. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

It has the option for dubbing or subtitles. I chose the subtitles but I think Neuro watched it dubbed.

8. Neuropyramidal

I'm not sure how you can tell bad acting while listening to dubbed English lol.

9. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, I watched most of it dubbed. For most of the actors it worked well, and at times I would forget they were dubbed. But I didn't like the voice of Patrick. It didn't seem to quite match the character's appearance.

10. jiggeryqua

jiggeryqua Active Member

Hm, multiquote confounds me. Dnae, I'm sure the dubbing annoyed my partner - she was critical of it from the very start, finding it hard to distinguish who was speaking.

It might be unfair to criticise the dubbing voices if they're not the same actors (let alone the same language), but I found some of the physical acting lacking too. There was a lack of body energy to match the face/voice emotion sometimes (there often is on TV, even on TWD), and some weak reacting.

Avoiding spoilers, I struggled with the story from time to time - set pieces that brought nothing new, unlikely and unfeasible occurrences, inconsistent behaviour that suggested inconsistent interest in its own setting - but there's only 4 eps left so I'll probably let it play out.

11. NakedCity

NakedCity Well-Known Member

I watched the first episode (subtitled, please only watch dubbed stuff if there's no other ways available) and really didn't "feel" it.

12. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

There were time jumps...they went through 5 years so I don't think they immediately went from their mom dying to dancing. It was i think just showing how she took care of her brother and helped him cope.

Their dad really left them unprepared for what to expect. I feel like if he was going to leave his teenage daughter behind and ask her to take care of her little brother, even if their mom was still alive when he left, he should have trusted her with more information about the whole situation. She had to figure out every last thing by herself...including how to use the gadgets inside the bunker.

Of course later

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Neuropyramidal

Right the dancing and laughing didn't happen right away. They had fallen into a routine by then, with meals and bedtimes, etc. Months may have passed. You'd basically have to break into slap happy laughter sometimes to stay sane down there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. lastcat3

lastcat3 Well-Known Member

Decent series. Much better than most series I have tried to watch off of Netflix. It actually seemed far more inspired by Last of Us than it did Walking Dead. The last episode was eerily similar to how Last of Us ended.

Find out Ellie will have to die to create a vaccine. Check. Find out Asmos will have to die to create a vaccine. Check.

The protector figure (Joel ) attempts to rescue the cure figure in (Ellie). Check. THe protector figure (older sister) attempts to rescue the cure figure (Asmos). Check.

Protector figure (Joel) tells cure figure (Ellie) it was all a lie. Check. Protector figure (sister) tells cure figure (Asmos) it was a lie. Check.

Protector figure (Joel) is stopped by the person behind it all (Marlene). Check. Protector figure (older sister) is stopped by person behind it all (dad). Check.

Person behind it all (Marlene) tells protector figure (Joel) that cure figure (Ellie) will die if they take them away. Check. Person behind it all (dad) tells protector figure (older sister) that the cure figure (Asmos) will die if they take them away. Check.

Protector figure (Joel) defeats person behind it all (Marlene) and they run off to get in a vehicle. Check. Protector figure (older sister) defeats person behind it all (dad) and they run off to get in a vehicle. Check.

Conflict ends with them driving off in Last of Us. Check. Conflict ends with them driving off in The Rain. Check.

I have a feeling they didn't know how to properly end the season so they ended up taking a lot of inspiration from how Last of Us ended.

Definitely don't think there should be a season 2. After all Last of Us 2 likely isn't going to be out yet for them to copy off of by the time filming would be scheduled to start for the second season of The Rain.

Still thought it was a decent season but in that last episode it was very obvious they were pulling a lot from Last of Us.

15. lastcat3

Also just a little fun fact. THe actress that played the main character is the real life daughter of the lady that played Shmi Skywalker (Anakin's mom).

16. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

I watched this show every night last week. Pretty good.

One thing I didn't like though... I mean, I really HATED it, was when....

17. lastcat3

Yep. The problem was that they focused on her being the main character right from the first moment the show started (I believe the show started with her being in school the day the Rain came and her dad coming to get her) and most stories just focus every scene around the main character. So they pretty much defined the parents as background characters right from the very beginning.

What they probably should have done was start the show off when the family was all together so they wouldn't automatically give away right from the start that the season was going to be focused around the daughter.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

watched it this weekend. it was certainly entertaining enough that I watched it all in two days

am I the only one who, up until the last episode, wanted rasmus to die?

Oh and Simone bares a striking resemblance to Tea Leone

19. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

THATS who she reminded me of! A young Tea Leone! I couldn't put my finger on it. Every episode, I'm thinking "who does she remind me of?" And I couldn't figure it out. Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Neuropyramidal

Season 2 airs in a couple weeks ;)