Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Royal Wedding

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lindigo, May 16, 2018.

1. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

I hear what you are saying. I have known people who have twisted something to suit their needs/situation. If in fact this turns out to be the way of it, shame on M&H for using their child to garner sympathy. If the claim is true, I hope whoever said this is shamed into submission.

I do see that William is shooting back now. I do hope M&H realize that the RF is much more powerful than they are. I'm starting to think they may have bitten off more than they can chew. I am friendly with several people from the UK and they are not looking on this with much kindness. Sounds like an Edward/Wallis Simpson repeat.

#361 southernlady, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I appreciated what you said earlier. They said their side of the story, the RF has their side and the truth is no doubt somewhere in the middle.

I was reading about Edward and Wallis. Gave up the throne for her. Even Charles who fell in love with Camilla initially but who wasn’t thought to be a suitable bride for him, carried on with her during his marriage to Diana with disastrous results. He ultimately ended up with her anyways despite everything that had happened. Could be why the Queen hasn’t stepped down yet although it appears the family may have finally accepted her.

Now Harry has thrown down the gauntlet. All I can say is when a Royal male falls deeply for his woman, he will stick with her and by her, consequences be damned, lol.

Do the people you know in the UK feel similarly about Prince Andrew and his shenanigans with Jeffrey Epstein? He had to step down as a working senior royal and he still has his money and tax payer security, but then he is the Queen’s son.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. southernlady

Oh absolutely! They want him stripped of everything - right down to the Royal Lodge in Windsor.

And I agree, when these men fall they fall. But when you are born into the RF, you have to march to the beat of their drum. Knowing what I know, or what I am told, about Charles and Camilla's love, it does make me sad that other people were seriously hurt because of the structure and what is expected from the monarchy. They clearly have been in love from the beginning.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

See, that's *my* point. She wasn't a 16 year-old virgin like Diana, she's an adult woman who'd been around the block a few times and had experience dealing with the sharks in the world and the media.

When SHE signed up to be royalty, she either knew or should have known what she was getting in for. She didn't like what she got? Boo hoo. She should have stuck it out for her children's sake if nothing else, not drag her whole family down with her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. purriwinkle

I’m not sure anyone, let alone an American, can really know what they’re getting into when they enter the royal family.
    You assume because she was divorced and an actor with a modicum of success she should have been so hard that she could have withstood anything.

Maybe she did too but unless you watched Suits, who the hell knew who she even was before she got involved with Harry. I know I didn’t have any idea prior to her engagement. Up until then, I don’t ever remember reading any articles about her either. She hadn’t fought her way to the top of the Hollywood A list yet.

Being an actor she no doubt has a good deal of self confidence but don’t you think it’s possible she might have been taken back by the constant negative press she was receiving in England? Maybe prior to marriage Harry told her “they’ll love you” cause he obviously did and she believed him cause why wouldn’t they? Unless everyone in his brother’s family ceased to be, there wouldn’t be a snow ball’s chance in hell for Harry to become king so maybe they thought they’d get a break, if only for his mother’s sake. The public supposedly loved Diana, wouldn’t they want to see both her sons happy?

Add the rules, isolation, perceived ill will from the new in-laws and staff and you have a perfect storm. A longer engagement period might have revealed some red flags but being a little older they no doubt didn’t want to wait if they were thinking children.

i don’t fault them for stepping back and even moving away but I would never have aired my family grievances publicly in an interview with Oprah. I can’t see anything being accomplished or even smoothed over by that. Bad move, IMO.

*As for Diana, if I remember correctly, her problems didn’t stem from being in the royal family per se. The Spencers were part of the British aristocracy so she knew what to expect there. What she couldn’t handle was a philandering husband and a crumbling marriage which soured her relationship with the Queen.

#365 purriwinkle, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  6. southernlady

I agree with this. We think we understand but we don't. You would think after Diana someone would have had frank discussions with Meghan about what was expected, what is acceptable and not acceptable, etc. I do agree with Morgotha though, Meghan was in her 30s and more worldly than Diana. And with Google I think she could have gotten a better idea of what was in store for her. Not to mention she said she was friends with Eugenie before she met Harry.

My personal opinion is Meghan thought she was going to change things and she ran up against a machine that is far too powerful. I don't see the monarchy changing until after Charles. Maybe.

Diana was so young and so naive, and I think caught up in the fairy tale. I cannot imagine becoming engaged to someone you had only seen 13 times. And then the "whatever love is" comment. Me, I would have run. But I guess by that time she was in too deep to back out?

#366 southernlady, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. purriwinkle

I think that you’re absolutely right that she thought she might breathe some fresh air into the monarchy but ran into a stone wall. Americans don’t really have an appreciation for the institute of the monarchy and haven’t since, um 1776, lol. Meghan played the part brilliantly when out in public but it must have been a very difficult and different situation for her when trying to live her life with her husband behind the scenes in private. Could anyone have really counseled her about that? For instance what came to bother Meghan may not have even phased Eugenie having been raised among the royals. There are things she might not have even thought to mention to her friend.

Diana was young enough to believe her prince truly loved her or would come to do so once they were married. She was doing her duty as a loyal British subject whose family have been connected with the monarchy for centuries. I’m sure they encouraged the match and she was probably flattered by Charles attention. However, because she was young and naive she couldn’t look the other way while her husband cavorted with Camilla despite her bearing two sons, the oldest who would follow their father to sit on the throne. At that point she probably figured she deserved better than to only be a brood mare in her husband’s eyes. She was unhappy and she showed it. I think the whole marriage was a terribly sad affair. Maybe that kind of thing would have flown in the 18th century but not in the 20th.

8. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

If Meghan thought she'd change the monarchy she really was as naive as Diana going in. It's like Trump saying he was going to "drain the swamp". Nope, the swamp and the monarchy represent the beliefs, actions, and traditions of millions of people, one person isn't going to overhaul them overnight. I'd bet that at some point she realized she was NOT going to change them and that she would have to change herself to become accepted by them and decided she didn't want to change for someone else - and that more than anything is what galled her.

With Diana, she was doomed from the start. At 16 the next King shows up at her house in a horse drawn carriage and asks her to become a princess? With her parents undoubtedly pressuring her as well, she didn't have much of a say in the matter. How much willpower would it have taken for her to say, "no", after all? What would her life have been like if she had said no to him? Do you think her friends would have stuck with her when everyone in her school started calling her "the b!tch that was too good for the king" and treating her the way only jealous high school girls can? I can't see many girls wanting that as their life.

As to later? Some women would be very happy to put up with Charles and live her life. Unfortunately, she wasn't one of them.

9. purriwinkle

• Like Like x 1
  10. purriwinkle

Was their age difference a factor in their failed marriage? I read this article after the first.

https://www.oprahmag.com/entertainment/a34728432/diana-charles-age-difference/

Notice what Charles’s reported views were as it seemed more of a hang up for him.

Excerpt:

Diana and Charles were both tempted to call off the wedding, but age was reportedly more of a concern for the groom. In the approach to the July 1981 nuptials, Charles became increasingly aware of his future bride's youth. As royal biographer Sarah Bradford in the PBS documentary Di: The Truth Behind Their Wedding notes, Charles reportedly told his friends, “She is exquisitely pretty, a perfect poppy. But she is a child,” adding, “she does not look old enough to be out of school, much less married.”

• Like Like x 1
  11. southernlady

That is interesting. From what I have read (how much truth is there I don't know), Prince Philip pushed the marriage. It is sad that Charles could not marry Camilla from the start, he loved her. Dickie interfered there and the rest is, as they say, history. A very sad part of history.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jonnezmy

jonnezmy New Member

I just checked out the Windsor travel guide for the Royal Wedding, and it's giving me major wanderlust! Is anyone else dreaming of being there and soaking in all the royal vibes? Share your thoughts! Also, if you want to look like a royal family member at your wedding, check out the suits from https://www.gentlemansguru.com/product-category/wedding-tuxedos/. I hope you like it.

#372 jonnezmy, Jan 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2024