Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Sickness

Discussion in 'Episode 1006 - Bonds' started by Neuropyramidal, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Its interesting this development takes place in the episode after we learn that Gamma is contaminating the creek, but I don't see a really logical connection. They don't drink out of the creek, and the creek doesn't even run through Alexandria. I doubt that Cheryl [they missed an opportunity there by not calling her Rosemary, whose name was on the note with the strawberries welcoming Gabe as the new reverend in S5] was outside the walls interacting with the environment. Does the plumbing no longer work in the houses? Do they use the creek for something else like laundry? I personally think the two things are unrelated but we shall see. Speaking of which, its interesting that Gamma was gutting the walkers to contaminate the water, but told Alpha she was 'blocking' the water.

And I usually have laughed at all the 'mole' and 'spy' theories, but I think the idea that Dante is up to no good has maybe a 25% chance of being true. Not necessarily connected to the Whisperers....but something. Maybe he didn't call Siddiq because he knew it would be harder to reverse the illness if it got out of control. That combined with the quick clip of Daryl punching someone in the infirmary. Something seems fishy, although this could just be a red herring.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Woodstock

Woodstock Active Member

What I don't get about this whole contamination thing is wouldn't the water be contaminated already? I mean it's been years now since the apocalypse started, and we've already seen walkers in the river numerous times. Lord knows how many of them have rotted in that very same creek or spilled guts and blood in it already.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

Maybe the contamination only happens when a walker of a certain age spills his guts and blood directly from not too far upstream?

Anyway, I wonder if we will soon see a familiar scene where one of the sick people in the infirmary would die at night and turned while everybody is sleeping. If this happens, I would be mad for a lesson never learned.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

The only thing I keep thinking about this sickness is that I hope, at some point, Michonne returns or they contact her and she gives them Hershel's recipe for the tea he used at the prison.

She is the only character on the show who was there for the prison flu, that would remember it. Would be a fun call back.

• Like Like x 6
  5. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Yeah but that contamination would really only work if the water was stagnant. A stream where the water is constantly moving wouldn't get contaminated to that extent just by blood in the water - it would dissipate too fast. You'd have to be constantly pumping blood into the water (and a lot of it) to cause that sort of problem. Maybe they're eating contaminated fish?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Daryl should know about it too. I think at that stage Rick had banished Carol, but he was there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Gamma was also damming the creek with the walker/guardians corpses thus creating the means necessary for stagnant water

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. tink

tink Well-Known Member

I missed that - did they talk about it in last night's episode or a previous one?

That would make more sense then.

9. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

The previous one (1005).

When Gamma returns to the camp the first time (Alpha is giving a lesson on skinning a gurdian):

Gamma: "I've been damming up the creek like you wanted. I've just come back for one more guardian"

Beta gets pissy about using another guardian....

Alpha to Beta: "shifts in strategy take time. The creek, the water, the tree...it will crush them"

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

Lmao. Somehow I totally forgot about Daryl.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I don't think Daryl is up to speed on the epidemic at this point. If he didn't have a need to go to the infirmary that would make sense as Sidiq didn't realize how bad it was until he went there. I'd forgotten about the prison flu. Wasn't that something to do with the pigs they were keeping at the prison??

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. calliope

calliope Active Member

I think the prison flu was actually meant to be the flu. Pigs were involved because they have similar immune systems to people and diseases can be spread between the two species.

As I recall, Daryl, Michonne, Bob and Tyreese went to a veterinary college to get medicine to treat the illness, so they missed some of the worst effects of people dying then killing other patients.

I wouldn't look too closely at the contaminated water arc. Does it make scientific sense? No. Plus Alpha would need to know more about their water supply system than is reasonable to expect. I think we just need to suspend a little extra disbelief for this one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

That's easy to do!

;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Neuropyramidal

Carol was there for the flu. The reason she got banished was because she killed Karen and David to try and contain the spread of the flu.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Neuropyramidal

Everything surrounding Gamma is kind of odd right now. First, assuming that water contamination is one of their main 'nicks' [which is a bit of a stretch] why would Alpha just assign ONE person to the job of damming and contaminating. There are always like 30 whisperers just standing around doing nothing, yet Gamma is doing this job alone? And she said she was damming in dialogue but was she? She appears to be only contaminating. She definitely would have needed more than just ONE more guardian to make an effective dam. It was a fairly wide creek and she wasn't even close to damming it yet. If the goal is to make the water upstream stagnant for any significant distance, you'd need a big dam. And with a dam that size, our group would obviously notice that it was dammed somewhere and would investigate before they continued fishing in it. I don't even really see the point of a dam.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Not to mention, if it was the water, everyone would show signs of it by now. Specially the old and very young. Coco didn’t look sick to me.

The truth is out there

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mistertrouble189

mistertrouble189 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be surprised if Coco gets sick soon! Siddiq kept exposing her around Rosita and in the infirmary! And this is going to be a deadly outbreak. How deadly? We will see. Lots of people in the infirmary...at least 10.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

I knew you were going to catch that and I was pretty sure that was going to be your comment.

I walked into it, I deserved it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Chr1s

Chr1s Well-Known Member

True, but was she there for the cure?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tink

tink Well-Known Member

The 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic is believed to have been amplified and made more deadly because it went through pigs. So there's pretty clear science to back up the fact that flu in pigs can be spread to humans (and other animals).

• Like Like x 1