Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The significance of the owl

Discussion in 'Episode 514 - Spend' started by Mr Sinister, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Mr Sinister

Mr Sinister Member

We all know the show likes to throw in it's fair share of symbolism and foreshadowing. Just interested in reading some opinions in what everyone thinks the owl might represent, both from those who have read the comics and those who haven't.

Possible spoilers ahead....

Or it could just be a stupid owl.

2. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

Who?

3. BITEcrimeGRIMES

idk.. this sounds kinda "beak" to me

4. FutureApocalyps

I saw what you did here.

5. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

Some people think owls are bad omens. That is always what I was told but I know that owls are symbols of different things too. Since the ZA is like the ultimate bad omen I'm not sure that is the symbolism they are going for. It must mean something to the writers though. I hope they share it at some point.

6. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I think it symbolizes how the writers are just winging it.

Or it stands for Jessie's hooters.

• Like Like x 1
  7. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Hipsters.

8. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

Depends, it has several meanings in various cultures. Some see owls as guardians of the underworld and the protector of spirits, some see them as divine, having sacred knowledge and wisdom, some see them as mystical or divine beings in disguise. A quick Google search can provide a better explanation for you.

9. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

I think the writers are going with the whole bad omen thing, with the owl.
    Jessie could be building an owl, because life with Pete is bad. And her life is built on an abusive relationship.
    Sam, breaking the owl, could mean that he wants to save his family, by ridding his life of the bad.

The writers did sort of the same with Beth. She had a ladybug pic in her cell. And saw one, when she was with Daryl, in one of their "camps".
    Ladybugs are good luck and a sign, that one should take inventory of what fills the heart. Beth needed to remind Daryl of this.

10. TheTunnelRunner

Well, obviously much of Rick's group doesn't give a hoot about the people of Alexandria.

and The Alexadrites weren't very wise to let Rick's group into their community.

#10 TheTunnelRunner, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  11. Kilroy was here

Kilroy was here Well-Known Member

I hope it didn't ruffle your feathers.

12. JFAN

JFAN Member

Besides the owl sculpture, someone mentioned on here last week that Jessie also has a owl tattoo on her arm and had a screen shot of it...real or fake IDK. If that shot was real then the owl definitely means something on the show just don't know what.

13. BetterAngel

BetterAngel Active Member

My grandmother told me that owls were and omen of an impending death. I looked up a website that said that seeing an owl (which the group did) means there is an important message or warning you need to heed to and beware of, and that you need to use your inner wisdom and intuition to discover it. Maybe in the show seeing the owl means that in the beauty and serenity/safety of the ASZ, the group needs to be weary that something may not be as it seems. Don't have false sense of security. I notice that the owl theme revolves quite a bit around Jessie. She even has an owl tattoo, and out of all the statues in the world she could make, she was making an owl. She comes across as so sweet, caring, friendly, and poor innocent victim of domestic abuse (possibly). Maybe this is an omen meant mainly for Rick, that this woman may not be what she seems to be. Or that getting involved with her could lead to bad things. Idk, just throwing some theories out there

14. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

There are two practically opposite explanations of owl symbolism.

Seeing an owl in daylight is considered in some places as being an omen of good luck.
    A more general consensus is that an owl portends bad luck that happens fast and unexpectedly ...as an owl is a silent killer that hunts in the dark of the night.

Then there is that 'wise old owl' meme.

I think this clues that Pete is the owl: respected as a doctor/professional/smart person during the day, but a predator at night or behind closed doors.

I think this portends badly for Tara, as Pete may rape her while she's unconscious.

Another fact: did you know that owls have no eye muscles ? That's why their heads can move 180 degrees each way.
    Take a look at Pete's body language, where he always moves directly in front of whoever he is talking to. Also, how he blocked Carol with the door at his house.

#14 Pogo the Possum, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  15. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

I think ASZ has its own little Pinterest enclave.

Owls are always cool in those "crafting" realms.

16. Prufrock

Or, Maybe Pete went to Temple Med. It's not that far from Virginia :)

[​IMG]

17. Pogo the Possum

Pogo the Possum Active Member

Oooh, those look so close to the designs on the comforter on the bed that Enid was lying on ! Ron/Pete/Jessie/Sam's house ?
    I thought they were 'Space Invaders'.

18. Prufrock

Yeah, I think they were robots or something.

19. Antoine Nagel

Antoine Nagel Member

20. Antoine Nagel

Antoine Nagel Member

Leveticus 11
    13 “‘These are the birds you are to regard as unclean and not eat because they are unclean: the eagle,[a] the vulture, the black vulture, 14 the red kite, any kind of black kite, 15 any kind of raven, 16 the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, 17 the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl, 18 the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey, 19 the stork, any kindof heron, the hoopoe and the bat.