Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Tree

Discussion in 'Episode 1004 - Silence the Whisperers' started by Neuropyramidal, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

It didn't fall by uprooting itself the way a living tree would fall naturally, from the wind or otherwise. It seems to have broken a couple feet up from the ground. It seems like a close examination of the break would pretty easily reveal whether it was natural or manipulated.

2. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

there were other tree stumps out in that field. Is it possible that they cut the tree wrong and it fell? OR could it be that a crew of whisperers cut the tree just enough so that it would fall. Possibly with the help of a few riled up walkers?

It just happened without any sort of context and felt disjointed. That particular chain of events is one of my gripes about the episode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

I thought that was a WTF moment. It was big tree. If the Skins took it down, it would have taken awhile, and possibly a few men/women. There would have been some sort of noise from chopping or sawing(a little quieter) so no one on guard heard anything? Does no one do an inspection outside the walls? If it was done gradually over time you would have seen evidence by the marks on the tree or shavings below.

Only a huge wind storm might have been the other culprit but as was noted it wasn’t uprooted like you normally would see. Lightning strikes might take off a limb or split the tree but I don’t remember there being any particular nasty weather occurring at the time. Very odd.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Yeah its usually old rotting dead trees that break at their stump like that. This seemed more like a ripe-ish tree that would have still been used for good wood. They don't typically snap in the middle. And if it was really a bad windstorm, then it ended abruptly because it didn't seem windy at all just minutes later. It was a calm night. And we heard it falling just moments before. So it had just happened.

To me, this is hands down a man-made event. I just wonder whether Alpha knows about it, or its the work of a rogue faction of Whisperers, or even some other wild card.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

The tree bit with Hilltop was my least liked part of the episode.

The falling tree mystery. The action sequence outside of the walls just felt very staged, not organic at all.

The only bit I enjoyed was Michonne and Judith fighting alongside one another

6. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

At first I thought wind storm - but then we see a tent on the grounds of hilltop and it has no movement at all. So, not a wind storm

I still am going with the whisperers, a saw and pissed off walkers

7. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Yep, a weak link. I’ve done some branch removal using a manual pole saw/tree pruner and depending on the size of the limb, it can be a bit of a project. I also watched the pros take down a large tree on my property that had been damaged by previous electrical storms and was too close to the house. They were using power saws, of course, but it still took a while and was quite noisy.

I just find it hard to believe that the Whisperers could have accomplished this without anyone taking notice until the tree fell...although it has to be their work. They would have to have made the cuts just right so the tree would have fallen in the right direction with the help of the walkers but have we ever seen the dead walk into a tree and pile up? Just brushing against it as they passed shouldn’t have done it. I’ll just have to suspend my disbelief and go with it, lol. I’m sure Hill Top can use the wood now for lots of things and they best make sure there’s nothing close enough to the fence for a repeat.

8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

Taken from an interview Angela did with Michael Auselio for EW

So we start with this montage that begins in Alexandria and then shifts to Hilltop and finally settles on Ezekiel who then hears something and goes and sees a tree has fallen down on a building. They’re all asking the question, so I’ll ask the question: Is this tree falling due to natural causes or are the Whisperers behind it?
    Well, I don’t want to give away the answer to that right now, but what we’re playing in this episode and the previous episode is the way that regardless of whether it was just the tree was dying and it was its time to fall down, or there was a wind storm or whatever, or if it was sabotage — every single thing right now takes on this outside importance for all of our people. And so that’s really thematically one of the things that we wanted to deal with here is because everybody’s just amped up, and everything just seems so terrible and so scary.

• Like Like x 2