Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The van

Discussion in 'Episode 506 - Consumed' started by tsahi, Nov 22, 2014.

1. tsahi

tsahi Member

How did that van get to be hanged on the edge of the bridge? It practically looks like someone put it there with a crane (which it probably did, production-wise). There are no twisted bars on the fence. Did they break cleanly just like that? aren't they suppose to stop cars from falling off the bridge? And the van itself has no scratch on its front from hitting the fence. No broken headlight or anything. In addition, I couldn't see any skid marks on the road, although these could have been washed away by the rain, if this has happened long ago enough.

While we're at the van scene, Carol gets internal bleeding marks on her shoulder, which are typical of car accidents, only they are caused by the body pushing against the seatbelt in a head-on collision. Here, they landed strait down on four wheels (which is one helluva luck. Gotta see this again to believe it), which means if anything, it's their behind which got the hit, not their shoulders.

My point is, this scene wasn't set up very realistically in my view. But hey, zombies aren't realistic either..

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I think the idea is suppose to be that those three bars broke away from the 2 adjacent studs cleanly, due to the way they were connected. I agree that the studs on either side should have at least been bend forward or twisted. And They should have at least smashed out the headlights and dented the grill of the van.

There would be no skidmarks if the person never hit the breaks. Maybe he was caught off guard by something and just swerved. And if Carol was leaning a bit forward when they hit, I could see her shoulders or chest coming down and hitting the dash board on impac, or being snapped aggressively against the seat belt. That could explain ecchymosis in that area of her skin.

3. gavuk

gavuk Member

I'm so with you on all of that. I know its fiction but i've been shot down before on the forum for being critical of "reality" but if you dispense with any belief of that and just watch it as TV entertainment

4. Necrophile213

Necrophile213 Well-Known Member

It was a terribly executed scene that should have never been aired. Once the producers realized that they could not make it look even close to realistic there should have been a rewrite. We can play the game of naming 101 possibilities with a million to one odds of actually happening in a weak attempt to defend the writers or we can simply say it was a bad scene. I'm just going to say it was a bad scene that completely lacked realism and completely agree with everything the OP said.

5. Neuropyramidal

Another thing I just noticed on rewatching this scene is that one of the walkers was on the ground near the van, instead of on the roof after the fall. It was cut in half, and even though the head and torso were moving forwards almost imperceptively, it had still managed to make it a few feet away from the legs. And it seemed pretty advanced in its deterioration. I wonder if that was suppose to be the guy originally driving the van, and he fell.

Another thing was that I thought Daryl's line "Grady Hospital. The cross cars are from a hospital. Maybe that's where they're held up". It seemed unrealistic that anyone would bother to utter that line while being surrounded by walkers. They could have saved that dialogue for later.

6. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

Depends though, Derle is concerned where Beth is and he wanted to know what the hospitals name was during that. And as we know our characters aren't afraid of walkers to not utter a few words, specially Derle. Idunno how that would be unrealistic.

7. Neuropyramidal

Well, the walkers were basically on top of him and he was still spouting lines of non-emergent dialogue. Its like Jesus from the comics, he'll be fighting off 11 walkers, some of them grabbing him from behind, while speaking three or 4 paragraphs of well constructed prose. It just doesn't seem natural.

8. Gaycandybacon

I thought that was before they were actually surrounded by the small herd(just walking towards them) and they were just looking for things in the van. It's not like 5 walkers were ontop of Derle as he was telling Carol that lol.

#8 Gaycandybacon, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  9. Neuropyramidal

No, it happened after they got surrounded, and the walkers were basically on top of them, with the back doors of the van open.

10. Gaycandybacon

Idunno I just didn't think it was farfetched for him to say that right there, plus they were talking fast as they were doing it like they were panicked.

11. Neuropyramidal

haha, maybe, but when I'm surrounded by walkers, I won't be talking about future show plot points. :p

12. Gaycandybacon

I hear ducktape is a good device for those pesky plot pointers

13. Neuropyramidal

Duct tape is good for everything. You can cure diabetes with it.

14. tsahi

tsahi Member

Well, i watched it again, trying to pause as often as i could. I don't think there is any chance that vehicle would have landed on it's four wheels. In order to do that, it would have had to do a full 360 degrees flip, and that bridge doesn't look high enough for that. By the view from inside the van, that we see during the fall, it looks like it either fell strait on its nose, or the front of its back. At one point you can see the shadow of the van covering almost the entire front view, meaning they are looking strait on the ground from a distance of maybe 2 meters. At this point, they couldn't have had enough room to flip on their wheels. If that's what happened, they must have threw another, identical, van, to film the landing. If you go frame by frame, you see that right before the landing, the roof and front windshield were intact. Assuming the van that fell off the bridge was severely damaged, this also tells me that the van that landed is a completely different one.

However, if we take the scene as it is, it seems like the van landed slightly tilted forward, so that the front wheels landed first. This explain the bruise on Carol's shoulder - their bodies where pushed forward against the safety belt, causing the bruise.

Finally, that walker on the ground which was split in two - that was a new cut. You can see fresh, liquid blood near his lower part. However, he was far from the van, so I don't know what cut him.

15. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Well-Known Member

They used a crane to drop a van straight down on its wheels. There was a behind the scenes clip.

16. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

the van landing on all 4 wheels was just... awful. Nose first... fine. On its roof ... more likely, but fine. On its TIRES? Not a chance. That's got to rank up there with one of the worst scenes in the entire series.