Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The Walking Bad?

Discussion in 'Episode 801 - Mercy' started by TheJudge, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Remon_uk

Remon_uk Member

Couldn’t agree more, I felt the episode was just one big mess with Rick’s “William Wallace” speech about freedom or some shit. I wouldn’t be surprised if Negan kills everyone including himself with some sort of bomb, hence the flash backs showing Ricks face all in tears and upset.

2. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

And how many times do we have to have Negan capture someone? It started with Daryl, then we had Eugene and that was followed by Sasha. Now it's Gabe. Enough. And Negan just saunters up to him spouting stupid lines not knowing if Gabriel is still armed or not.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Stealth

I counted 4 timelines. We had what we'll call the current one, then we had a Rick/Carl flashback, the pre-battle pep talk and a flashforward. And it was all for no reason.

In Season 2 they used a flashforward effectively to show a changed Shane shaving his head after he left Otis behind and then we found out what got him to that point. That sort of device is effective because it draws you in. This was them doing it just because....

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheJudge

TheJudge Member

That was another annoyance. First off, the speech came off as extremely corny and over the top. We already know Ezekiel is a caricature of some sort, but when he spoke, it bordered on ridiculous. Maggie's part was simply redundant. In fact, the whole speech from all three was redundant because they had already come together in the previous season finale. None of it was motivating or captivating for the audience.

In cinematic history, speeches such as King Theoden's and Aragorn's battle speeches in Return of the King, set the GOLD standard. This speech in this episode was the polar opposite, we can call it horse crap...AND WE HAD TO SUFFER THROUGH IT THREE TIMES WITH THE RIDICULOUS DISJOINTED TIMELINE!

#24 TheJudge, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  5. Miamicuse

Miamicuse Active Member

When they started shooting at the windows, I honestly thought there was a point to it (there may still be...) that those windows broken is crucial to an important part of the plan. Because it was obvious at least to me they were not shooting at Negan and company. I thought may be Dwight had punctured some gasoline tanks or explosives up there and a big explosion above would rain down freshly made zombies and rock the whole place. Nothing...

As far as the flash backs, I don't get that either. I assume they had multiple directors working at the same time on one episode? So last season they had different locations (Hilltop, Alexandria, Sanctuary, Kingdom...) kind of jumping from one location to the next. May be now that the forces are united, and they still have multiple crews so they say "Oh you know what? Let's just have different crews shoot different time lines and do an artsy fartsy Emmy winning edit in post production".

6. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

I didn't think he was fully turned and therefore wouldn't have gun ready to shoot. He might try that in the next scene we see with the 2 of them.

7. BatmansHooker

BatmansHooker Well-Known Member

Looks like Gimple's pulling a Gimple again

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

How do you know that unless we see it fully play out? You’re assuming there’s no reason for it in the bigger picture.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Tigger

Tigger Active Member

I can't expound any more eloquently than everyone already has, however, no one has mentioned......... the beard. Rick, if you're gonna flash forward dream, dream big. There must be someone at a ComicCon pissed off that you stole his homemade Rick/Hugh Hefner costume.

10. Stealth

The flashforward will most likely mean something, but the Carl and Rick scene and then the speech that was chopped up only served to make the whole thing disjointed at points.

11. fylimar

fylimar Active Member

I liked, that they showed the preparations before the actual event. War isn't about running around and shooting at each other, it's much more the preparation beforehand, that is improtant, the little details. And that includes Carl getting oil (and that guy he met is probably playing a role in the future), RIck, Ezekiel and Maggie giving motivating speeches - and they might be not very brillant or rhetorical top notch to us viewers, but imo in a crisis, it's better to use simple words and maybe a bitof rendundancy to keep the people calm. Tehre were probably people, who haven't fight that much before, like Aarons boyfriend, and they want to hear the standards: all will be well, together we will beat them - that kind of stuff. Ezekiel throwing in Shakespeare was a nice icing.
    About them not shooting Negan: I think, they didn't want to risk the horde going off too soon: Carol, Tara, Morgan and Daryl could not have been ready and been cought in the middle. They kept Negan interested, so that he would not run inside and that they managed. They also manaegd to cut Negan off from the entrance when the horde arrived, so his chances or survival were slim - he got lucky.
    And so far, Gabriel hadn't really a chance to shoot. As I remember, he had to turn around to shoot and by then, Negan would have had enough time to introduce Lucille again.
    Negan could work on his lines a bit though - how many times did he use the shitpants line now? We should start a drinking game,,,

• Like Like x 1