Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

THE WALKING DEAD: JAPAN

Discussion in 'The Walking Dead Fan Fiction' started by Taeyeon'sBF, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

@Taeyeon'sBF

I've just finished reading season 4's mid-season finale "From Whence you Came."

The best scene in this chapter was Shinji's nightmare of the Shinda sinking, and then his college girlfriend Yui climbing into his raft, and taunting him for failing to save her or his friends.

Unfortunately, I have some criticisms for most of this chapter.

I think Security Chief Rokaru's conspiracy with the Korean army was weak. I think it would've been better if Rokaru was against Shinji's group (or any group for that matter) joining the Garden because they could be desperate and capable of doing anything; plus they'd be a drain on the Garden's resources.

I think the addition of Hua Ji was useless, because after telling Tomoko that he's against Rokaru's coup, he doesn't contribute further to the story.

Jun insisting that Shinji execute Rokaru wasn't necessary. I think experience has made Jun the type of leader who'd immediately kill a threat (like he did with the Korean leader) instead of pressuring Shinji to execute Rokaru.

Sensei Shoji accepted the violent world way too quickly. He ought to be devastated by Rokaru's betrayal and The Garden turning into a shooting gallery. Ironically, that led to one of the best lines in your story "We lived here untouched by the outside world's poison, only to have one from within doing the poison for it."

So Jun's group is now being called "The Saviors"? Does that mean Jun's going to start carrying a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire? We all know how popular baseball is in Japan. :D

Not a perfect mid-season finale, but it was fair.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Taeyeon'sBF

Taeyeon'sBF Well-Known Member

It was more of a metaphor LOL
    But yeah not one of my best eps.
    Thanks for the review!!

3. Taeyeon'sBF

@RickyGrimes
    NEW CAST:
    Yuya Akai - Kimino Yuma

Mr. Akai – keisuke okada (actor)

Mrs. Akai- Sayuri Kokusho

Yui Kinoshita (CAMEO) – Aoi Morikawa

The Stranger - Ryo Iwase

Summary: The season begins with a race against time, as Jun and his people try to get a dying Shinji back home.

EPISODE 501 – Blood

“COME ON SHINJI! HANG IN THERE!!” screamed a terrified Tomoko, as blood oozed onto her lap, as Shinji slowly drifted in and out of consciousness. Jun and Ronin pumped the gas, turning the corner only to find a small group of walkers blocking the path ahead. Ronin angrily growled and slammed the gas pedal harder, cutting through the group and getting stuck by one whose arm was jammed in the wheel junction. Jun and Shinsuke jumped out, cutting through the dead, with Shinsuke shouting “We don’t have time for this shit man!!!” Jun nodded quickly and shot another walker, running over and yanking the arm out of the junction. The flesh slipped off in his hands, but he gritted his teeth and yanked harder, dislodging the obstruction.

Shinji’s face was quickly turning white, and Tomoko shook him trying to keep him awake. “Don’t you dare leave me here alone!!” she sobbed, as Shinji weakly reached to touch her face, only to have the arm drop to his side. Suddenly Shinji awoke, lying in his bed, but it was not his bed back at The Garden…but instead it was his bed in his home in Tokyo. He pulled the clean sheets back, and could smell his mother cooking fish and steaming vegetables for breakfast. He walked down the steps and was greeted by his father who smiled and exclaimed “Help with my tie, will you?” Shinji felt confused, but went on to help tie his tie.

Jun sliced the top of one walker’s head off, with brain and blood splattering across his face. He screamed “WE’RE CLEAR! LETS GO!!!” Jun jumped in the truck and started the engine, tearing out of the pile of dead walkers and roaring through the forest. Emiko sat beside Tomoko and put her ear next to Shinji’s chest. “He’s still breathing, but it has become very shallow…he won’t make it much longer” Tomoko nodded while still sobbing.

Shinji sat at the dinner table and noticed his mother tying back her hair in a bun. She smiled and poured him a tall glass of orange juice, while his father sat and cut off a piece of sweet bread for himself. Shinji looked around and saw his mother mouthing the words “Shinji…Shinji…”

“SHINJI!!!” screamed Tomoko, as the truck arrived at the gates of The Garden, the area now littered with the dead bodies of Chinese soldiers, as well as a transport truck having slammed into the wall, creating a large crack in the foundation. Jun jumped out and shouted “Ren, open the gates!!!” Ren, a thin man with a spotty beard, waved to the other wall guards as they opened the gates, allowing the truck to drive in. Jun ran up to Ren and asked “What the hell happened?” Ren replied “These Chinese bastards tried to slam through the gates. I shot the driver, and it hit the wall instead. We picked off the rest of the soldiers. What happened to you and-” he noticed Shinji being carried by Shinsuke to the infirmary and shut his mouth.

Tomoko kicked open the door to the infirmary and yelled “DR. YOSHI WE NEED HELP AT ONCE!!” An annoyed Dr. Yoshi peered his head from behind a curtain and saw the bleeding Shinji, at once changing his demeanor. “Get him on a bed! I am going to have to perform surgery at once!!” Dr. Hwang ran up and began to dress him, and soon dressed herself too. Kwan and Shinsuke backed away from the procedure, gently pulling Tomoko away from the doctors.

Dr. Yoshi cricked his neck and placed the light directly over him, getting the best view of the bullet wound. He pulled back the chunk of flesh that covered the wound and found a shiny, jagged piece of lead stuck in the bone. He gently pulled it out, and then noticed the artery that was gushing blood. “Dr. Hwang, I need you get a shot of muscle relaxant. His heart is beating too fast and he is bleeding out. This will stabilize him” Dr. Hwang grabbed a syringe and pulled out a small amount of liquid muscle relaxant, passing the needle to Dr. Yoshi. He jammed the needle into Shinji’s chest, and noted the heart rate slowly dropping.

Suddenly Shinji began to shake violently, with Dr. Hwang shouting “He is having a seizure from blood loss WE NEED TO GIVE HIM BLOOD PACKS!!” Dr. Yoshi ran to the storage facility and dug through the refrigerators, finding only one pack of B-, Yoshi’s blood type. “Shit” he muttered as went back and hooked the blood up.

Meanwhile, Takeshi ran to a distressed Jun who was holding his face in his hands. “What the hell happened Jun? Who-” he looked at the body under the tarp and remarked woefully “God…Sung-Min…” Jun nodded and sniffed, trying to not burst into tears. “The Chinese bastards killed him…and then shot Shinji…” Takeshi pulled Jun close to him and held him in his arms. Jun sobbed, as Takeshi cradled him, softly cooing “It’s going to be okay Jun… It’s going to be alright I promise” Jun held to Takeshi as she continued to bawl.

Dr. Hwang grabbed the defibrillator and charged the paddles, ordering Dr. Yoshi “MOVE I AM CHARGING TO 200!!” Yoshi backed away, and Dr. Hwang placed the charges on Shinji’s chest. “CLEAR!!” the paddles jolted Shinji and soon his heart rate peaked. Dr. Yoshi smiled, and then noticed the blood bag draining quickly. “We don’t have any more B-” he grimly noted, with Dr. Hwang nodding.

Dr. Hwang stepped out, and was grabbed by a hysterical Tomoko. “PLEASE TELL ME HE IS ALIVE!!!” she wailed, as Jae Eun and Emiko gently pulled her aside. “He is stable, but we have a problem. He lost a lot of blood due to the bullet fragments nicking an artery. We have plenty of blood, but he requires B-…which we are totally out of now” Jae Eun piped up “Then we send an envoy to Station 62 and get more blood. If we drive there and back after talking to Miss Nakajima, the trip will take only an hour”

Dr. Hwang cricked her neck and sighed. “I don’t know if he will last that long. He has enough blood to last him 10 minutes at best. Unless…we check the medical records and have blood donations. It would have to be a temporary solution however”

Jun patted Takeshi on the back, sniffling and saying through his tears “I will go. I owe him that much” Ando walked up and added “I am Akira’s brother. They will listen to my demands, so I will go too” Jun smiled at Ando who did the same to him. Sensei Shoji stepped out of his office and said “I will allow Jun and Ando to go on the run. I would suggest you bring another in case the dead block the roads along the way” Ronin raised his hand. “I will go” Jun shot him down with “No, you are too tired. Kuma, you come with” Kuma nodded, grunting “You got it” as he grabbed a nearby shovel.

Jun was stopped by Jae Eun and Esther who squeaked “Jun…you don’t have to do this…we can send someone else instead” Jun shook his head, murmuring “He is my brother…I owe it to him” Jae Eun slowly nodded, as Jun hopped in the green car with Ando at the wheel. Tomoko stood there, tears rolling down her face as Sensei Shoji asked her “Why did you not volunteer?” “Because, if he passes, I need to be the one to put him down…I want to be there for him”

========================================

Ando pumped the gas, tearing through the jungle and landing on the road with a loud screech. Walkers wandering around the area soon followed while Jun grabbed a long range radio and barked “This is Jun Masumoto hailing Kasune! We need 6 bags of B- blood ready as soon as we arrive!!” Kasune on the other end replied “What happened?!!” “Just get them ready!!” Miss Nakajima, who was listening in on the call bluntly butted in with “And what do you have to trade? We are not going to give out blood on a whim” “If you don’t give us the blood, you all starve. Now get the bags ready or our arrangement is over, got it?” Miss Nakajima angrily scowled and remarked “FINE. We will have the ready for you when you arrive”

Ando shot Jun an irritated look and said in a hostile tone “You would scrap this agreement for this?” Jun remarked back “I don’t care. Its Shinji’s life on the line and nothing else matters. I will give a couple of shits later”

=====================================

Shinji suddenly found himself at his father’s place, an empty bottle of Rum on the ground. “Dad, what the hell, you’ve been drinking again?!” his father slurred “Shinji you shit, don’t talk like that to me! I am your father!!” Shinji picked up the bottle and remarked “This has become your life! You drink, and drink, and DRINK to try and cover up the fact mom left you for being a screw up!” His father curled up a loose fist and hurled it at his son, only to miss and fall onto the coffee table. “Don’t you walk away from me boy!!” Shinji’s father slurred as Shinji walked over to the door and opened it. “You did that to us already, dad” Shinji muttered at he left the apartment, Yui standing there nervously. “You going to be okay?” she asked, as Shinji shook his head, hearing his father wailing as he was now out of rum. “No, but I have to be for my family”

Dr. Hwang pulled Dr. Yoshi aside and whispered “We need to consider a failsafe in the event of Jun failing to obtain more blood” Dr. Yoshi frowned and pondered “I guess the possibility for failure is high…but I fear that such a drastic response would make enemies” Dr. Hwang looked back at Shinji and remarked coldly “Making a few enemies is better than having an infected in the Garden. You and I both know that”

=======================================

The truck pulled up to the gates of Station 62, where Kobayashi and Kasune greeted them. “What happened? Why do you need the blood Jun?” Kasune inquired, as Jun loaded the bags into the back seat of the car. He stopped and looked at her with tears I his eyes. “Kasune…Sung-Min is dead…he…” “He was shot by Chinese soldiers trying to take over The Garden” finished Ando, noting Kasune’s demeanor become mixed with horror and sadness. She choked and buried her face in her hands as she held back her tears. Jun walked over to her and gave her the necklace Sung-Min gave him. “He wanted you to have this…” he said, as Kasune took the necklace and held it in her hand. She nodded and hugged Jun as the car rumbled to life. “Shinji is dying Kasune…that is why we need the blood. I have to go now” Kasune’s lips quivered as Jun ran a hand down her face.

The car turned around, and roared down the road, as Kasune watched, still holding the necklace in her hand. The road was soon filled with random walkers that clawed and snarled at the car. Jun coldly issued to Ando “I don’t care how many we bring back with us…just get us home Ando”

================================================

“Where are we going?” Yui demanded, as Shinji held her hand, the riots now getting out of control. They went inside the hospital and pushed past the scrambling nurses and doctors treating freshly bitten patients and soldiers. Eventually they arrived at the room where his younger brother, Yuya was succumbing to cancer of the small intestine. Shinji’s mother and fiancé sat there, watching as Yuya stirred, awakening to see his big brother. “Shinji!!” he weakly yelped. Shinji hugged his little brother, as his mother asked “How bad is it out there?” Shinji replied calmly “The JSDF are beginning to gather any suspected infected to designated locations. This thing is spreading faster than they can contain it”

Her fiancé quipped “I guess that means we should leave” Yuya pleaded weakly “No…I like having my family here with me…Shinji, you know my toy soldier over there?” Yui grabbed it and gave it to Shinji who in turn gave it to Yuya. “Yuya…here you go buddy” he cooed, as Yuya clutched the toy. “It’s yours Shinji…here” Shinji took the toy and held it in his hands, remarking “But it’s your favorite…” Yuya coughed and said sadly “I am going to see grandpa and grandma again…I want Mr. Soldier to have a new friend” Shinji’s mother broke down, as her fiancé told him “Go…I will try and take your mother out of the city” Shinji brushed his mother’s hair and then kissed Yuya on his forehead before leaving the hospital. Yuya waved at a leaving Shinji, then his arm became limp.

Shinji weaved in and through the crowd with Yui in tow as bottles and smoke grenades flew past him. Yui was grabbed by a hysterical man, only to get struck across the head by a SWAT member’s baton. Shinji looked back the hospital as a fire began to overtake the top floors. Shinji felt his lip quiver and a tear roll down his cheek while Yui tugged his arm yelling “Come on!! This way!!” They then ducked into the boarded off mall as a SWAT van parked across the way.

Dr. Hwang looked at a curious Tomoko and said sternly “He is slipping…unless Jun comes back with the blood he needs within 10 minutes, he isn’t going to make it. The blood donations have kept him stable for now, but they weren’t enough” Tomoko pulled out a knife and choked “I will put him down if he passes. I need to be the one who does it doctor. He would do the same for me”

========================================

Jun shouted “HOW MUCH FURTHER?!” Ando yelled back “Another mile and a half. Almost there!!” Suddenly a shot pierced the windshield, narrowly missing Jun and Kuma. They stopped the car to find 2 Chinese soldiers step out of the bushes and aim their rifles at them. Instantly two shots rung from the forest, striking the two soldiers in the head. A man dressed in grey, muddy rags walked out and remarked “Now you owe me” Jun and Kuma looked behind them to see if anyone was behind them, with Ando yelping “He’s gone! I looked away for one moment and he vanished!” Jun exclaimed “It doesn’t matter let’s go!!” the car started again and soon the car tore through the forest, eventually reaching the gates of The Garden. Ren opened the gates and the car drove through, with Dr. Hwang running out of the infirmary.

“Do you have the blood bags?” she asked, with Kuma handing her the cooler containing the bags of B- blood. She immediately ran back to hook them up to Shinji, watching as the blood pumped through the medical tubing and into Shinji. She watched with nervous breath as Shinji’s blood pressure soon began to rise ever so slowly, with the heart rate monitor noting the small yet persistent spikes.

Dr. Yoshi sat down and hung his head from pure exhaustion while Dr. Hwang leaned against the wall. “Think this will help him?” She asked, with Dr. Yoshi muttering “It better. We should see results in about two to four hours. For now, we let him sleep it off as the blood circulates in the body”

====================================================

Shinji awoke to find Tomoko holding his hand, a tear filled smile across her face. “Hey you…” he weakly muttered as Tomoko leaned over and kissed him. The door to his room opened, and in came Dr. Yoshi with a large clipboard. “Tomoko, I need to ask him questions so I do other things afterwards” he grumbled as Tomoko kissed Shinji on the forehead. Dr. Yoshi sat down and asked Shinji “While you were out cold you mentioned a name…Yuya…who is that?” Shinji sighed and murmured “Someone now long dead…”

Tomoko ran out and squeaked “He is awake!!!” Jun and Ronin grinned while Emiko and Jae Eun embraced. Dr. Hwang felt Kwan side hug her and looked up at him with a large smile.

Sensei Shoji, Jun, and Tomoko sat next to Shinji’s bed as Shinji talked to them about his experience. “How are you feeling Shinji?” Shoji inquired, with Shinji replying “I could eat a whole field…how long was I out?” “Doc says around 6 hours. You lost a ton of blood, but you pulled through” Jun answered with a cheeky grin “Now we are both in the ‘saved by Dr. Hwang’ club” Tomoko looked at both Jun and Shoji, remarking coyly “Can I have some alone time with him, please?” Jun nodded and joked “Yeah, but keep in mind he needs to conserve that blood, so no funny business” Shinji waved Jun away and watched as they left the room, leaving Tomoko and him alone. “Shinji…I never felt as scared as I did when you were bleeding out on the table. I couldn’t cope with losing the man I love”

Shinji perked his head and said incredulously “You…love me?” Tomoko nodded and clutched his hand tight. “I do…do you feel the same?” Shinji put his other hand on top of hers and said softly “I never want to be without you…I want to live my life with you until I am an old man, Tomoko. I love you” Tomoko laughed as she cried, clutching he face in her hands and kissing him. “Not the best way to ask me for my hand in marriage, but I’ll take it” she joked.

=========================================

Everyone gathered around Sung-Min’s grave as Sensei Shoji laid a bouquet of flowers across the gravestone made from a slab of marble. Jun stood at the head of the group of mourning individuals as he began with “I knew Sung-Min for 4 months…short by most standards, but enough for me to know his character. He was the bravest, most forward thinking man I ever met, and we are wanton without his presence. I…was there when he died, and I can’t help but think others were on his mind at that final moment”

He paused, looking at Kasune who allowed her tears to flow. “I cannot say enough of his praises, but in the 4 months that I knew him, he was not only my friend…but he was also a brother, and…” he choked and began to sob, as Takeshi put his arm around him. “And…I miss him so much” Jun finished as every laid a flower at Sung-Min’s headstone which read: “Sung-Min Cho AKA Mr. Black. 1981-2010 Family is forever” Kasune knelt down and laid a pack of cigarettes down, whispering “I will meet you again, my love”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the next episode of The Walking Dead Japan: A new era begins, as a 1 year time skip occurs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rapscallion

Okay, so I've read episode 409 "So Shall You be Sent."

No sooner have Jun and Shinji's groups have killed the Koreans, when a herd threatens the Garden. Naturally, the two groups work together to put down the herd, and even the civilians lend a hand. Nice move with having Gabe be the last walker to put down.

Tomoko tells Shinji that she doesn't trust his friends. That's surprising because Jun and his group just helped her save Shinji, Sensei Shoji, and the Garden from Rokaru and his Korean allies.

Sensei Shoji allows Jun and his group to stay, and appoints him the new chief of security. Why not appoint Tomoko the new chief of security? She knew Rokaru was up to no good, and if she hadn't of escaped and returned with Jun's group, Rokaru would've executed Shoji.

The Garden's Dr. Yoshi fits Takeshi with a metallic prosthetic hand. I'd have preferred if Takeshi had to remain handicapped. Plus the prosthetic hand you described is too advanced and beyond the Garden's resources.

I liked the scene where Kasume gave Sung-Min the pack of cigarettes she found on the group's last supply run. Kasume awkwardly telling Sung-Min her feelings towards him, only to be "friend-zoned" was a unique change of pace.

I'm sorry, but I didn't enjoy this chapter. There should've been more emphasis on friends reuniting, and the hope their dangers are finally over, instead of killing another herd, fears of another coup, and sci-fi technology.

#264 Rapscallion, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Taeyeon'sBF

@Rapscallion
    The prosthetic is not too advanced, as this kind of tech was available in 2010. Its not a perfect piece of tech, but its time appropriate
    Sorry I should have added that in there.

6. Rapscallion

The prosthetic may not be too advanced, but it seems unlikely the Garden would have something like it, even if they've been scavenging for close to a year.

As I said, watching Takeshi adapt to the loss of a hand would've been great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Taeyeon'sBF

We will see that in the next ep actually :D

8. Rapscallion

@Taeyeon'sBF,

I've just read episode 410 "The Pagoda."

Jun leads a supply run to a shopping center. I'm surprised that Tomoko was part of the group, but Shinji stayed at the Garden. No point introducing Bokoro, as he contributed nothing to the chapter. :p

I like that Tomoko caught Jun with a pregnancy test, and he had to admit he was planning on starting his own family, which lead to an argument over Esther. It's great that Jun cares for Esther, but he's from a culture that's still chauvinist, and he'd naturally want to have a son.

I like that Ronin gave Haruna that blue sundress, and they had their little moment in this story. I was afraid you forgot about them.

I'm surprised that Shinji was teaching a group kendo— I thought Tomoko was more experienced—but I liked her line that ammo will one day disappear, and its better to learn how to wield a blade now rather than later.

I like that Jun was furious that Shinji brought Emiko, a former JOC soldier, to the Garden. Jun's given many speeches and promises to keep his group safe from any threat, so I have to wonder if Jun will kill Emiko just to be on the safe side.

Friendships are rekindled, couples are made, people are starting over. Great chapter! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Rapscallion

@Taeyeon'sBF,

I've read episode 411 "That Was Not Us."

Nice bit with Takeshi trading a crate of fresh batteries for some beers. I also like the scene where Kioko offers Sinsuke soup in gratitude for saving her life...but the soup is terrible. :D

Once again, I'm surprised that Shinji and Tomoko didn't go together on that hunting trip.

Akira is certainly TWD Japan's version of Jesus. I chuckled when Kwan and Tomoko stepped out of the hotel room to watch Akira drive away in the moving truck. :D

It's great that Ronin has recovered from his injuries, and ready to start over with Haruna. It's great that you made time in these last two episodes to develop their relationship.

This was a good episode!

#269 Rapscallion, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Taeyeon'sBF

508 is finished, and soon 509-12 will be.
    I will set the re-release date for mid February.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Taeyeon'sBF

[​IMG]
    I hate having to do 3 rewrites. 508, 510, 511 & 512 are needing complete overhauls. Hopefully I can get these done soon enough.

12. Rapscallion

@Taeyeon'sBF

I've read episode 412, "Darkness Cometh from Light."

Sorry, but I hated this episode.

When Jun's group goes to the agricultural research building to rescue Akira's friends, they're shocked by the sight of a "sea of walkers." Suddenly, Tomoko notices an abandoned mine in a nearby quarry which they can use to lure the herd into. Well, that's convenient! :rolleyes:

The group fills the mine carts with radios (good thing they brought those along) plays rock n roll music at full volume, and rolls the carts down the mine, while the herd follows. Ronin and Khan seal the mine (why wasn't it sealed before?) and easily kill the twenty straggling walkers still in the quarry.

A better scenario would've been if Jun lost someone on this rescue mission, and everyone would be arguing if Akira and his friends are worth the loss of a friend.

I understand that Ronin just recovered from his wounds, and I appreciate the realism on his recovery time, but I'm starting to miss when Ronin and Jun would strategize on the group's next move. I hope those times come back soon.

I hope the next episode is better.

#272 Rapscallion, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  13. Taeyeon'sBF

@LadyGrimes Here we go! (took too damn long)

NEW CAST:

Mizuyaki – Ikuta Toma

Naiyogi – Yamada Ryosuke

Kino- Nishikido Ryo

Ren – Hongo Kanata

Miho - Rio Suzuki

SUMMARY: A new era begins, as a 1 ½ year time skip occurs.

EPISODE 502- Becoming the Monster

ONE YEAR, SIX MONTHS LATER

Jun stepped out of his apartment, taking in a deep lungful of fresh morning air as birds overhead chirped and cows, chickens and horses moved about in the pastures to the left of the housing area. He picked up his scoped rifle and walked up to the top of the wall to overlook the woods below. Several spikes were now planted in the dirt to ward off walkers, and a reinforced iron gate was added to the main entry way, raised or lowered with a system of pulleys.

The truck the Chinese soldiers had used a year prior was now covered in weeds, as the thick greenery was now overtaking all that was once man-kind’s greatest achievements. A group of 4 horses and a car rolled up to the gate, with Kwan on one of the horses. “Herd nearby?” Jun asked, as Kwan raised a hand to shield his eyes from the sun. “Yeah. Akira radioed us and said a sizable number of dead were in the area. We will divert them as soon as we can” Jun nodded and helped Ren and the new gate guy, Naiyogi, open the heavy metal railing. The horses and cars went through, and Jun waved to them.

A walker approached the gates, with half of its head a charred, blacked stump. “I got this” Naiyogi boasted, pulling an arrow from the small trashcan at his feet and locking it in the bowstring. He pulled the arrow back and released, the arrow gliding through the air and striking the walker in the forehead, killing it. “I got him!!!” cheered an exuberant Naiyogi. Ren grinned and replied “Good, now go down there and get it back. We don’t have that many pre-event arrow shafts left, so those are valuable” Jun shrugged, and an irritated Naiyogi threw down a rope ladder and climbed down to get the arrow.

==================================================

“Are you certain?” Sensei Shoji asked Dr. Hwang, who nodded with a sober expression. “The cancer has returned, and at this rate will not be able to be controlled without serious surgical intervention. If we-” “No. If my life is meant to be snuffed, then I must allow destiny to take its course” Dr. Hwang stared at Sensei Shoji, blurting “But who would be in command here after your death?” Shoji leaned back in his chair and replied “Shinji and Jun. They have the skills needed to keep the people here alive…so my death will not hurt the people in the long run…”

In the other room, Jun and Jae Eun were waiting for test results, as Esther played with a building set Jun had gotten for her days earlier from a crumbling super market. “You like it?” he asked, as Esther nodded. “I do! Thanks dad!” Jae Eun stroked Esther’s hair and remarked “Jun, what is taking Dr. Yoshi so long?” “It’s Dr. Yoshi we are talking about. The guy is a perfectionist” Jae Eun shrugged and then sighed a breath of relief as Dr. Yoshi waved them in. The three of the sat down in the chairs provided in his personal office as Dr. Yoshi handed Jae Eun a document. “I did tests with what equipment I could use, and the results are not promising” he grimly explained, with Jun now flipping through the pamphlet. “It says…zero activity in egg tissue sample?” he asked, with Jae Eun’s face flushing to almost a china white color.

“I’m sterile” she muttered.

Dr. Yoshi nodded and explained further “We tested Jun’s seminal sample to see if the problem was on his end, but he is perfectly healthy. The problem is on your end, Jae Eun. Your eggs keep rejecting the sperm, and we don’t know why…unless you have a family history of such a thing” Jae Eun nodded tearfully, and embraced Jun as Esther kissed her on the head. “It is on my mother’s side” she said, with Dr. Yoshi replying “Then there is nothing more I can do. I am so sorry”

“How far is the herd?” barked Kwan, as Hua-Ji peered through his binoculars. “I see a small grouping of twenty to the west, about a mile off. As for the large herd…I don’t-” suddenly Shinsuke yelped on the radio “HOLY SHIT! WE HAVE COME IN CONTACT WITH THE HERD!! NORTH-EAST BY EAST!!” Kwan turned the horse around and they came across the herd, a massive black splotch that drowned out the green spring grass under it. The walkers, whose once bright clothing was now moldy and rotten, turned and saw the horse riders, snarling as they came after them. Kwan blew a whistle, and out came Kuma and Fujita, the latter of whom raised a bullhorn and screamed “HERE!!! OVER HERE!!!”

The herd, resembling an ant mound, turned and began to follow him and Kuma who rode to the other side of the large, overgrown rice field. Kwan radioed the new guys in the car, Kino and Mizuyaki saying “Hey, where in the hell are you two? We need to maneuver the herd to the countryside so that they wander into the city!” Kino, a young adult with a ponytail quipped back “Yeah yeah! We will do it as soon as we can” Kwan angrily shook his head as Shinsuke rode up and remarked “Where are those shits with the lure? We needed them minutes ago!” Suddenly Kwan noticed out of the corner of his eye a child stumbling from the bushes, dressed in tattered and bloody rags.

“OH CHRIST!!” he yelped as he got off his horse and ran for the kid. A walker reached down to nab the child, but Kwan whipped out his pistol and shot the walker, blowing its brains across the ground. Immediately the walker herd turned and began to advance towards Kwan, as Kwan fired shot after shot at any walker that came to close. He threw the child on the saddle and hopped on soon after. The walkers reached and clawed at the horse, but before they could swarm the horse the deafening noise of heavy metal coming from a car stereo grabbed their attention.

Kwan looked to see the car swerving around the herd and luring them away from the main roads. Kwan sighed and radioed Shinsuke “They finally did their job…finally” Hua-Ji radioed in with “The herd is following the vehicle. Praise the divine Buddha!” Kwan smiled and used a cloth doused in water to wipe the child’s face clean, revealing the delicate features of a young girl with dead, emotionless eyes. “Let’s get you home sweetie, okay?”

===========================================

Back at the Garden, Ronin awoke and rubbed his eyes, the sunlight shining through the room and warming his feet. He pulled the covers back and took a sip of water from the nearby dresser. He heard a stir and looked at a naked Emiko rubbing her eyes as well as she climbed out of bed. “What time is it?” she asked, with Ronin replying “Its half past 10. Day off for the both of us” Emiko smiled and slipped on a bathrobe, tying it as she walked up behind Ronin and kissed his neck. “You were talking in your sleep again” she commented. Ronin sighed and brushed the hair away from her face. “I have a lot of baggage, as you probably know already” Emiko nodded and smirked, opening her robe and hugging him as she wrapped the robe around him. “I know…but I am willing to put that aside for this relationship to work”

A knock on the door snapped them to attention as Ronin opened the door. Daichi, the weapon’s manager gawked at his body as he stammered “Um…Sensei Shoji wishes to talk to Emiko and you as soon as you are ready” Ronin grunted and irritatedly remarked “I’m naked, okay? Nothing to see here” Daichi walked away muttering “If only you swung the other way…sassy bitch”

The two of them met up with Takeshi who scratched his healed over stump. “Any idea what the man wants?” Ronin asked the former cop. “Not a clue. I was getting my prosthetic changed when Daichi called me here” Emiko piped up “I see Shinji and Tomoko coming. Maybe they know” Shinji waved at the 3 of his friends and asked “So what’s going on?” “Who the hell knows? Does your wife know?” Ronin teased. Tomoko grinned and whispered to Shinji “We have been married for one week and now they think we are attached to the hip”

The door opened and Sensei Shoji welcomed them in, his face now sickly and thin. “Jun and Kwan will have to be told this news later, but as for you five…I have prostate cancer. I have, according to Dr. Hwang only months to live, unless my current state worsens” Everyone looked crushed as Tomoko croaked “But Sensei…you can’t leave us! We need your guidance!!” Takeshi softly asked the other man “Sensei, are you certain? We don’t exactly have the proper tools here to make such a claim” Shoji sighed and replied “I am certain. In the event of my death, I am naming Shinji as the primary leader, Jun as the leader of security, and Kwan as my outside needs commander” Shinji blinked. “Me? Why me?”

Shoji smiled and sipped his cup of barley tea. “You are a sensible leader. I trust Jun and Kwan, and hell I even considered my son Fujita, but you are the most well known person here. People trust you as a leader. Who better to have them lead to a bright rebirth of the world than you?”

Tomoko grasped Shinji’s hand while Ronin asked “Sensei, who will be the one to…prevent you from turning?” Shoji leaned back in his chair. “My wife. This is a difficult choice for me to make, but it has to be done”

Kwan rode up to the car where Kino and Mizuyaki were hunkering down as the herd fell off the cliff and into the sea below. “Are they clear?” Kino asked, with Kwan rapping his spear against the car door. Mizuyaki opened his door and stretched his arms, as Kwan stormed over and punched him in the jaw. “YOU WERE LATE!” he fumed, as Kino stammered “We had engine problems! Not our fault we were late!!” Shinsuke and Kuma rode up to the car, as Hua-Ji and Fujita followed close by. “You were supposed to check that shit beforehand! What if the car stalled? You would have been dead and the herd would have eventually come home!” He released the man and ran a hand through his hair. “Who is the kid?” asked Fujita.

Kwan looked at the child sitting motionless in the saddle. “She came out of nowhere. I am bringing her home. She needs a home as much as we do”

====================================================

Haruna sat with the children on the floor, a story book in her hands as Dr. Moon stood by the door with a smile on her face. “…And then the boy found the bear, who said with a big booming voice ‘I am hungry!’ What does the bear sound like?” she asked, with the children roaring playfully. Haruna clapped and brought down the bowl of hand candies, allowing the kids to grab handfuls of the colorful snacks. Haruna raked the hair from her face and said “I think I like this job of yours” Dr. Moon chuckled and replied “You can have it every other day. I used to complain that I was being under-utilized, but now…I can’t imagine doing anything else” Haruna accepted a hug from one of the young girls, and looked out the window to see Ronin with Emiko.

“You two on good terms?” Dr. Moon asked, with Haruna nodding. “Yeah…I mean, after he proposed, I felt like my rejection was going to ruin our friendship. He and Emiko are happy now, and I can’t be happier for him” “Ronin is a good man” Dr. Moon commented “I can’t imagine this place lasting long without him”

The sounds of the gates opening alerted them to go outside. “The Sirens are back” breathed Dr. Moon as Kwan, Hua-Ji, Shinsuke, Fujita, Kuma, & the car rode into the Garden. Kwan got off his horse and handed the young girl to Dr.Hwang, who clutched her stomach and smiled at Kwan. Shinsuke stomped up to Jun and stormed “Those two dickheads Kino and Mizuyaki almost got us killed. Car problems my hairy ass” Jun frowned and looked at the two ashamed men, whispering “This is their fourth run…go easy on them. And be sure to check the car ahead of time, okay?”

Hua-Ji shook Shinji’s hand and said “The herd turned, and by Buddha’s divine grace we are here now!” Shinji grinned and noticed the child simply standing there, staring off into the distance. “Who is that?” he asked, with Hua-Ji’s smile fading. “A small one we found in the wilderness. It was Kwan’s choice to bring her to our bosom. Hopefully, she will tell us about her past”

Jae Eun and Haruna sat down with the girl as Kwan, Jun and Shinji watched the interview happen. Jae Eun began with “So tell us your name sweetie…don’t be afraid, I won’t allow you to get hurt” The girl muttered almost inaudibly “My name is…Miho. Miho Nagami. My mom and dad are dead…the dead ate them” Jun whispered to Kwan “And you found her like this?” Kwan nodded as Jun added “Jesus what did she go through to end up like this?”

“Honey, how did you end up looking like this?” Haruna asked Miho, who stared at the wall. “I…was in a pit of mud and blood. Mom and dad threw me in there so the dead won’t see me. I…” her lip twitched, and she looked at Jae Eun dead in the eyes “I heard them being torn apart. I had to live out there with the monsters. I was covered in mud, so they couldn’t smell me, so I hid among them. Then I saw the man with the horsey” Kwan smiled and held her hand, softly asking “Hey, would you like to live here with us?” Miho nodded, stone faced and silent as Dr. Hwang looked on with nervous dread overtaking her.

That night Dr. Hwang approached Kwan and asked “Did you want to adopt her yourself? Without asking me my thoughts?” Kwan shrugged “I didn’t think it was a big deal. Besides, you wanted to have children like we discussed” Dr. Hwang angrily hissed “You should have run the thought of adopting Miho through me before making the decision. Now we would look like assholes if we just deny her a home” Kwan pointed to the window “The city where she came from rotting and becoming overgrown with greenery. She needs a home and the state she was in…she looked like a feral animal amongst the dead that are now everywhere” Dr. Hwang sat down, her hand rubbing her slightly protruded stomach. “How bad is it out there, Kwan? I haven’t been out there in ages…and to be honest I don’t want to”

Kwan shook his head. “The old world is truly dead. We are the only signs of civilization out there beside Station 62. Raiders and random vagrants are fewer in number, and food is essentially non-existent now. She was in that rotting skeleton of the old world, and I wanted her to live a good life. Still…I am sorry I didn’t run the thought by you first”

===================================

Jun awoke that night to hear footsteps out his windows that were heading to the outlying rice patch near the south wall. He got up and grabbed his hunting knife, quietly following the figure as it stopped in the middle of the field. “It’s dark out here! Why are you wandering around?” he called out, as the figure turned and looked at him, a large knife in her hands. “MIHO?” gasped Jun as the girl stood perfectly still, staring him down. “I saw my parents die…under all that mud and blood…I still remember the old world, including TV, hot meals, friends….all of that is now gone. Dead. Forgotten” Jun gestured to the walls and asked “This is a piece of the old world…it’s not dead and forgotten, Miho. It doesn’t have to be like that”

Miho shook her head, a single tear dripping down her cheek. “I lived out there…like an animal…and my father told me to never get comfortable, because that will cause another apocalypse. I am here, while my parents, my brother, my uncle, aunt, grandpa, grandma, cousins and friends are all dead, forgotten by the world. People born with great ambitions, hopes and dreams, ending up as either food for the dead, or rotting in some field. I have a home…but I am not worthy of having it”

Jun swallowed and looked at his feet, now submerged in the mud. “Then why are you out here? Why are you here with me, at this moment?” “Because….the dead did not kill my parents. My neighbors I grew up with as children, who babysat me and came over for dinners, raided our home and shot my family. Only my baby brother and I made it out alive, as my mother was the last to be killed for canned beans and rice. My brother was hungry, and I killed him to end his pain. I was in the mud and blood, to hide from the dead”

“But…you said the dead killed your family? Ate them up?” Jun inquired. Miho looked at the moon and murmured “The neighbors I knew were already dead. You can’t be the same person in this world as you were in the past one. Which is why I am here: I am here to ask you to kill me”

Jun’s mouth dropped. “What?! I…I can’t do that Miho!!” “You have to…if you don’t I will do the same to your family as my neighbors did to mine. I can’t kill myself…I am too much of a coward. Please, I am begging you!!” Jun shook his head and closed his eyes, trying to hold back tears. Miho approached Jun and took his wrist and lifted it, so that the knife was against her neck. “You have to kill to survive” Miho commented as she shoved the knife into her neck, blood gushing from her fresh wound. Jun grabbed her and held her in his arms as she bled out, her last words being “Home now…” As Jun laid her on the ground, he looked up to see a horrified Jae Eun standing there, having seen the whole thing. “Jae Eun…I didn’t-” “I know you didn’t, Jun” his wife replied, taking her husband’s hand in hers. Jun held back tears as he watched Miho turn and snarl at him.

Jae Eun took the knife from Jun’s hand and stabbed Miho in the eye-socket, killing her. “Are we on borrowed time, Jae Eun?” Jun asked softly, with her reply being “Yes. That hasn’t changed from the old world”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the next episode of The Walking Dead Japan: The events of the night before rattle everyone, as changes occur around them.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rapscallion

@Taeyeon'sBF

I just finished reading episode 413 "Memoirs of Ruin."

It was interesting reading about Shinji and Sung-Min going on a scavenging/recon outside Akita, Japan (later misidentified as Akito). I'm a bit mad that Shinji was separated from Tomoko again, but I guess someone had to guard the Garden. :)

Nice touch having the city of Akito napalmed, and the rows of cars on the highway trying to escape the city. Obvious flashbacks of Rick's entering Atlanta way back in season 1.

While scavenging the bodies and cars on the highway, Sung-Min feels they're robbing a graveyard. Again, flashbacks of Lori's discomfort while scavenging amongst the corpses and cars back in season 2. Good move having Shinj being sympathetic, but reminding Sung-Min they must scavenge in order to survive.

Of course, Shinji and Sung-Min get caught in the middle of a firefight between the Chinese and Koreans. Quick thinking on Sung-Min's part by saying he and Shinji were Korean military, and that Shinji's mute.

Very sloppy of Captain Lee Gyeom to not have a sentries while his squad slept. Shinji, of course, takes the Hollywood bullet to the shoulder. :p

Shinji, Sung-Min, and the surviving Koreans barely escape. The wounded Shinji groans in pain because of his gunshot; a Korean soldier overhears him, but Sung-Min quickly says Shinji has been traumatized by his experiences. ;)

Shinji wants to make a run for it before the Koreans decide he and Sung-Min aren't needed anymore. Sung-Min wants to wait for night to knife the Koreans in their sleep. Good work on that brief disagreement between friends. :)

That morning, Gyeom offers to accept Sung-Min and Shinji into his squad, or they can go freely. They decline and shake hands. I didn't expect that to happen. :eek:

Shinji and Sung-Min retrace their steps, and find Gyeom and his squad harassing a Chinese soldier, his wife, and his child. I must confess this scene caused some confusion. Did you mean to identify the man as Japanese, but got confused with the Koreans and Chinese fighting each other in this story? Was he a deserter or a Chinese immigrant?

I was disgusted that Gyeom planned on gang raping the woman and child. I thought we finally met an honorable soldier (haven't seen one since Jun's father). I like that Sung-Min turned the tables again and shot some of the Koreans, while Shinji killed the rest with his sword, Kuroi. Sorry to nitpick, but Kuroi would've been taken away from Shinji before his planned execution.

I think killing the woman was unnecessary, but I like Gyeom getting torn apart by walkers. A death well deserved.

I'm disappointed that Shinji and Sung-Min didn't offer to take the father and daughter back to the Garden. Again there is some confusion: is the man's name Zian or Zhou?

I like that Sung-Min opened up and told Shinji he regrets rejecting Kasune, but he can't get over Akiko. I also like that he confessed that he can't keep killing (evil) people, but Shinji was sympathetic again, and said killing sometimes must be done.

In spite of my criticisms, this was a good chapter featuring two characters who haven't interacted much together. :cool:

#274 Rapscallion, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Rapscallion

@Taeyeon'sBF,

I've read episode 414, "Peace in Our Time."

Upon reading the title, I knew things were going to turn out bad for Jun and his group. :eek:

My first criticism was that Fujita accompanied Jun and his group to Akira's home. But Fujita talked with Shinji and Sung-Min on the radio in the last episode! Maybe he has a radio with him, or maybe it was another guy named Fujita. :confused:

Akira's home is called "Station 62." At first, I thought it was amusing that the groups in your stories keep finding these military installations, but it's probably realistic. How many military bases are in Japan, especially around major cities? Wouldn't Rick and his group be safer and better supplied in one of the military bases around Washington D.C.?

Station 62 leader is Miss Nakajima, the wife of Japan's former prime minister. I didn't like that Jun, a college kid, so easily took over during negotiations. Miss Nakajima had to have learned some politics from her husband, and she must be an accomplished woman in her own right. :mad:

While reading the negotiation scene, I thought Miss Kasune should've represented Jun's group, as she led Yakuza survivors earlier in your story.

Speaking of Kasune, she and Shinsuke talk, and the former wrestler admits he sees the group as family. I fear the end is near for Shinsuke. :eek:

Negotiatons end, with Jun's group coming out the winner. A representative must stay with each group, and ironically Miss Kasune volunteers to say in Station 62.

Jun's group runs into Korean soldiers who were on their way to raid Station 62. Ronin saves the day again. :cool:

The group returns to the Garden and receive a radio transmission: a mysterious man is holding Shinji and Sung-Min hostage! But weren't Shinji and Sung-Min on their way home last chapter? :confused:

This was a bland episode, but it sets the scene for bad times for Jun and his group.

16. Rapscallion

@Taeyeon'sBF

I just remembered since Fujita, Sensei Shoji's son, went with Jun and the others to Station 62, it would've been humorous if he demanded do the negotiating. Fujita's arrogance and inexperience is killing the deal for the group, until Kasune steps in (who I think would've been the better negotiator) and works out a fair trade. :D

#276 Rapscallion, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  17. Taeyeon'sBF

LOL Thats a great idea actually. I think having Fujita go all Spencer on them would have been great :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Taeyeon'sBF

NEW CAST:

Fujita Shoji-Morita Myuta

Sewer Beggar - Kosuke Toyohara

SUMMARY: The events of the night before rattle everyone, as changes occur around them.

EPISODE 503- Shitani (Underneath)

Takeshi woke up in a cold sweat, reaching for his glass of water with his stump, angrily growling and grabbing it with his good hand. He drank a swig of water and looked at his stump, frowning as he slipped the clear plastic hand on his stump. He dressed himself and arrived at Dr. Yoshi’s office, knocking on his door. Dr. Yoshi opened his door and saw Takeshi holding the prosthetic hand in front of him. “I need to have something better”

Dr. Yoshi looked at the fake hand and poked at it with a pencil. “It needs better joints and electrodes?” he asked, with Takeshi nodding. “It’s becoming more difficult to move regularly. I can barely wrap the fingers around the baton I use” Dr. Yoshi mumbled something and tucked the prosthetic in his desk. “You will have a new one by tonight, depending on what I can scrounge up. For now, go eat and keep yourself busy. Besides, I am more brilliant when I have time” Takeshi forced a smile and left, muttering “Brilliant my ass”

He sat down next to Shinji and Shinsuke, noting Jun and Kwan talking alone. “What happened?” he asked, with Shinsuke replying “The new girl Miho killed herself with Jun’s weapon. Kwan was probably considering adopting her, so…yeah. Shits messed up big time” Shinji raised an eyebrow and noted “Jesus Christ, you need to work on your tact bro”

Kwan stared at his glass of cider and listened as Jun explained “Look…I didn’t think she would do that, just grab my hand and kill herself. Kwan I am being sincere…” Kwan nodded and looked at Jun. “Zhang didn’t want her anyways. I am not upset about losing a potential kid…but the fact so much terrible stuff happened to her is haunting. I appreciate you telling me this” Jun half smiled and replied “You’re one of my best friends, man. I had to tell you, otherwise what kind of person would I be?”

He looked as Kwan got up and replied “I am going to go with Fujita to see if Kasune is doing alright. Shinsuke wanted to go, but he is needed here with the herd control team. I’ll radio you later on this afternoon, yeah?” Jun saluted Kwan with two fingers as his friend walked out of the commissary. He saw Takeshi, Shinsuke, and Shinji sit next to him. “We wanted to say” Takeshi said in a fatherly manner “If you ever need to talk, let us know. Just don’t talk to Shinsuke if you need a warm word or two” Shinsuke, insulted by the comment remarked indignantly “What? What did I say?”

=================================================

Kwan tied the riot gear chest plate together on Fujita as Fujita checked his MP5 rifle. “So routine check in?” he asked, with Kwan replying “Yeah. Miss Nakajima wants to make sure a patrol is sent every Saturday, as a precaution” Fujita laughed and said jokingly “I’ll be honest: I forgot what day it was a year ago. Still…the fact that over a year has passed since the whole world got turned on its head seems unreal” He began to strap in Kwan’s armor as the Korean added “Talk to me about this in 5 more years. By then the dead will be an easy problem” He grabbed a Heckler & Koch MP5K and left the armory, with Daichi yelling out like a jilted bride “Don’t lose the guns this time, girls”

The Garden mechanic Ichida, an older man with a head of salt and pepper hair and a round beard, was fixing up a car when the two men walked up to him. “How’s the oil conversion process going?” Ichida squinted and replied “Just finished it. Now that gasoline is rare, using all the cooking oil we looted as fuel seems like a better alternative. So she’s good to go!” as he patted the hood of the silver and black car. Kwan and Fujita climbed in and started it, the engine rumbling to life as they pulled out of the tiny automotive garage and drove to the gate, with Ren noticing them and opening the heavy doors.

Kwan, at the wheel, looked around to see the buildings and cars alongside the road now covered in greenery and mold. Fujita rolled down the window and held his hand outside, allowing the spring air to cool his hand. “So…anything you want to talk about?” he asked, with Kwan answering “I don’t get Zhang sometimes. See, she always wants to do this and that, but when I allow it to happen she changes her mind. It’s like she undermines everything I do” Fujita nodded and added “I feel ya. My sister Hidemi is the same way. Mom and Dad try to make her happy, and she never is. She is still used to the old way of thinking”

Kwan chuckled and said with a snarky overtone “Yeah, well everyone is just expecting things to poof back to normal, but they never will. Shit is going to happen around every corner” They pulled up to Station 62’s gates, with the radio clipped on the dashboard barking “This is Station 62 guard Niyegi. Akira will meet you inside” The metal reinforced chain link fence rolled open and the car rolled inside, parking outside Miss Nakajima’s office building. Kwan hopped out and was greeted by Akira who embraced the other man with a warm smile. “Good to see you again Kwan! Fujita…always a pleasure” Fujita nodded only once, and Kwan replied “Good to see you again man. So…what going on?” Akira’s smile dropped as he led them inside the office.

Kasune and Miss Nakajima were fighting, as Kasune shouted “And yet you want to sit back and let a possible insurgence harm our people?!” Miss Nakajima threw her hands up and turned, seeing her guests. “Oh god, you saw that? I am so sorry, but I need to talk to you about something” Kasune rolled her eyes and added rudely “WE need to talk. I was the first one to even bring up this thing to her” Miss Nakajima ignored Kasune and led the 3 men into her private office, a map was laid out on her desk with a pin stuck on the nearby beachfront. “One of my supply scouts found a washed up Chinese canned goods boat and was checking it, when this was spotted” she showed them an oil tanker with Korean symbols on the front. “Kwan, you are Korean, so maybe you could translate?”

Kwan squinted and said “The Red Lady…that’s a commercial oil tanker. Usually that kind of ship is anchored in Seoul or Busan’s bays, but…how did it wash up here?” Kasune piped up and handed him a patch. “Well, it wasn’t. The scout was attacked by Korean’s on board, and he barely escaped, but not before taking this” Kwan examined the patch, as Fujita asked Miss Nakajima “So are you afraid of them attacking? Was he followed back here?” Kasune shook her head. “No. A herd separated him from the Koreans, but…judging from your face Kwan they aren’t a normal group of Raiders?”

Kwan shook his head. “The name…Dae Im. I haven’t heard that name in a while” Akira inquired “Who is, or was he?” Kwan shook his head “A ghost from long ago. So it’s the herd, not the Koreans you are concerned about?” Miss Nakajima leaned back in her chair, her finger formed in the shape of a steeple. “Yes, but we want you to make sure the Koreans, if they are indeed in the area, are not drawn here or at your Garden when your herd diversion unit does its job. For now, you can stay for lunch, per Akira’s request”

========================================================

Jae Eun and Haruna sat with Emiko and Tomoko, who were chatting about the night before. Jae Eun watched as Esther played with the other children and smiled as she waved to her adopted mother. Haruna sighed and remarked “I remember Jun being that small. Toro met me when Jun was only 5, and by then his marriage was failing. Still, having Jun and then Hideki was the best thing to happen to me” Tomoko bit down on a slice of breaded pork and chortled “Seems to me you need to get married Haruna. Several good men here…maybe Takeshi?”

Haruna laughed and commented “Takeshi and I watch after Jun like mother and father, yes, but Takeshi is more of an old family friend, not a lover” Emiko looked down at her plate and then at Ronin who was training some of the men how to attack the dead. Ronin looked over at Emiko and smiled, nodding his head in a friendly manner. “I don’t know if I am happy with Ronin” Emiko muttered “He’s a good man, but he is too tortured by his lack of self worth. He doesn’t see that he is a good man deep down” Haruna soberly replied “He’s seen the worst things a man could witness. I think he has a right to be like-”

Suddenly everyone stopped dead in their tracks as the sound of helicopter blades chopping the air made them look to the sky. A military chopper was flying towards the mountain, rocking and dipping as if the pilot was fighting for control from within. “What the hell?” Jun asked as he poked his head out of the armory with Shinji. The chopper flew overhead and disappeared in the clouds, with a faint THOOM sound following afterwards.

“Must have hit the mountainside” Ronin noted, as Esther ran up to Jun and hugged his leg. “Did you see that dad?” she asked, with Jun nodding as he ran his hand through her hair. Tomoko grabbed a snow-coat and a scarf, exclaiming “I am going up there to check it out. Whoever that was could be alive, and might try to reveal our location” Emiko raised a hand, adding “I am coming too. I haven’t been out of The Garden in ages. Jun, you okay with that?” Jun nodded, handing her an AR15 he took from the armory. “Tomoko, if you find anything useful bring it back home, and if anyone survived that crash…kill them”

Tomoko and Emiko shouldered their bags and left through the gates, taking a small path that led into the mountain above.

==============================================

Kwan and Fujita parked the car and poured over the maps they had in the glove compartment. “So, since a damn tree is blocking the path, we have to go around” Fujita grumbled as Kwan ran a finger along a road adjacent to the one they usually used. “There. We take this route for another 10 miles and that will branch off into the main road” Kwan then started the car and drove down the road the map showed.

The road had not been used in ages, as a thin moss had grown over the road, with dead leaves, cans, sticks and other debris littering the path. They drove down the road and stopped when they saw a walker chained to a post with an iron ring through its jaw. “Kwan, this was one of the first ones to turn. Look at the skin!” Fujita breathed as Kwan noted the thin boney body trying to snap at them. The skin was stretched tightly across the frame of the walker, with only a ragged, rotten pair of jeans remaining. “Poor bastard” Kwan muttered as he stabbed the walker in the eye, killing it. He rifled through the pants and found a wallet, opening it to reveal a picture of the man with two young girls and a happy woman to his left, presumably his wife. “Rin Ouchi. Born September 12th, 1982. Poor guy just hit 28 years old. Wonder where the kids and wife are?” Fujita side-eyed the Korean and remarked “Probably long gone. At least now the poor guy is with his family”

They went to start up the car, when Fujita noticed a herd that had poured out from the nearby overgrown fields. “Shit! Lets go!!” hissed Fujita as Kwan tried to start the car. The engine stammered, then came to a screeching halt, killing the car. “Dammit!! We need to make a break for it!!” Fujita opened the car door with Kwan following his lead, making a break for it as the walkers surrounded the now dead vehicle. Kwan waved at Fujita, shouting “COME ON THIS WAY!” as they ran inside a train car that was covered with moss.

The walker herd surrounded the car, clawing at the two inside but unable to actually reach them. Kwan glanced at a small hatch above them and yanked it open, revealing the roof of the car. “Fujita! Climb up and over. We can hop across the cars and get some distance between us and the herd!” Fujita nodded and used a box inside to climb up to the roof of the car, with Kwan right behind him. “There!” pointed Fujita to the rows of other cars down the track, with Kwan running to hop across them.

The walkers, seeing the two men above them, soon followed as Kwan and Fujita crossed car after car trying to outrun the herd. Eventually they reached the engine and the end of the high-ground. Kwan looked around below and saw a truck that had crashed into the engine, jumping on the roof. Fujita did the same, and the two ran into an old green house, now covered with vines, weeds and grass.

Kwan kicked something and noticed a metal box on the floor, picking it up and opening it to reveal a flare gun that was still intact. He loaded a flare and fired it, sending the ball of light soaring high and landing in a field. The walkers congregated around the distraction as Fujita breathed “Hot damn that actually worked. How many are left?” Kwan checked, and replied “Two more flares. We should go before they get bored”

================================================

Kasune was repairing a section of the fence when a rider on a horse rode up to the gates. It was Hua-Ji, who waved at her and asked “Forgive me madam, but Kwan and Fujita arrived here, did they not?” Kasune nodded, asking him “They haven’t come back?” Hua-Ji frowned, with Kasune running to the radio shack and grabbing a long range radio. “Kwan, Fujita, this is Kasune at Station 62. Please respond”

===============================================

Kwan reached for his radio and replied “This is Kwan. We are trying to not get eaten by a herd. The car stalled, so we left it. We have no idea where we are!!” Fujita noted a car that had crashed into a tree nearby and huffed “Maybe it has a map!!” Kwan shot the window and unlocked the car door, handing Fujita the rifle “Cover me!” he ordered as he searched the car, scrambling to find a map or anything useful. Eventually he found a map and a machete, shouting “Got a map, let’s go!!”

The two ran and hid inside a sewer drain, as the herd walked above them, making the bright green grass turn black as the hundreds of dead corpses shambled around. Kwan pointed to a door that led into the sewers and whispered “That should lead to a manhole or a service exit somewhere. We go through there, and we find a way to get around this damn herd” Fujita nodded as they snuck over to the door, finding it locked with a padlock. Kwan picked up a hammer he found lying on the ground and smashed the lock apart, opening the rusty door with a loud creak and climbing inside.

The sewer was dark, with the smell of mildew and muck hitting them in the face. Fujita tied a cloth over his mouth and nose, with Kwan doing the same. They flicked on their flashlights and walked down the sewer, as rats and bugs scurried away from them, unused to people. The sound of water rushing under their feet was the only sound they heard inside the giant concrete coffin, with the walker above now several feet above them as they moved deeper and deeper underground. Kwan grabbed the map and remarked “So where are we?” Fujita pointed to a road and said “There. Another quarter mile, and we will end up near the edge of that city, Sakae. Should be a relative walk in the park after that”

They walked another half hour, with Kwan asking irritably “Shouldn’t we have arrived there already?” Fujita checked the map and remarked “I don’t get it…we should have arrived at a service exit by now. Thank god the batteries are fresh.” Kwan shook his water bottle and cynically commented “Glad the batteries are all you are worried about kid. Now, I am not below drinking sewer swill, but I would rather not do it, if given the choice”

Fujita saw a tiny shaft of light in the distance and hissed “There! A manhole!!” They ran through the muck and filth, climbing the metal staircase that led to the manhole. Using the butt end of his rifle, Kwan lifted the heavy metal lid and slid it aside, peering his head up and seeing large buildings all around him. “What the hell…we are in the city limits!!” he yelped as he looked behind him, only to see a thick grouping of walkers noticing him and heading straight towards him. “Nope” he muttered as he climbed down and slid the manhole shut, the tiny drainage hole now covered by a walker’s foot.

“Now what?” Fujita whined, as Kwan looked over the map. “So we are in the city limits…I saw a sign that said South Street…so if we head down there” he motioned to another service tunnel “We should come out on the edge of the city” Fuijita ran a hand through his hair and exclaimed “Damn…we must be about 40 miles away from home by now” “Make that 50. The road we were driving on was a longer detour than I imagined. We have enough food and water to last around a day, two tops if we are skimpy and ration everything. Hopefully one of the cars we find topside might actually work”

They walked until they found a man dressed in shabby clothing and a large stick squatting over a small fire. “Someone visiting me?!” he yelped, as Kwan held up his hands, explaining to him “We just want to find a way out of here that leads to the outside city limits friend. We don’t mean you any harm” The beggar smiled and replied “I can show you! In exchange for a knife, I will show you the way!!” Fujita shrugged, with Kwan telling the man “We would like that. Lead the way” They then followed the beggar as they ventured into the sewers ahead.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the next episode of The Walking Dead Japan: Emiko and Tomoko investigate the helicopter crash in the mountains, finding a surprise there.

19. Rapscallion

@Taeyeon'sBF ,

I just read episode season 4, episode 15 "Storm Clouds."

I'm sorry, but I hated this chapter.

I think you've gone over the "military madman" route too many times, so this episode dragged. The violence General Chang committed was over the top.

I think you should've brought back the new Japanese Empire for the ending of season 4.

#279 Rapscallion, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  20. Taeyeon'sBF

Chang committing those horrors was mean to show how awful the world has become. The Governor raped and tortured Michonne, so why is this any different? Characters have to suffer in order to grow, especially in this world.
    EDIT: I redacted the previous statement because it was out of place and rude. I apologize.

#280 Taeyeon'sBF, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017