Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The White Princess

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by southernlady, Mar 3, 2017.

1. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

Anyone other than me looking forward to this? It starts April 16th on Starz. We will see a couple of familiar faces as well - Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark) and Essie Davis (Lady Crane) from Game of Thrones have a part in the series. I love the White Queen, I'm hoping the White Princess is as good!

#1 southernlady, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  2. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

Well, of course, who else? This looks like my kind of show and we do subscribe to STARZ. I hope I remember to tune in or it doesn't conflict with something else on Sunday nights.

3. southernlady

I thought you might be a fan! I haven't checked to see what TWP might conflict with, but I'll most likely DVR just in case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Doodlebug

Doodlebug Active Member

I didn't really like the white queen. I seen it awhile ago but I remember I could not stand the white queen or the guy she married. But I will probably watch this just because I like these types of shows.

5. southernlady

@purriwinkle what did you think? I thought it was good. Henry is an asshole though lol

6. purriwinkle

I didn't get to see it as we were at my sister-in-laws. Barely made it home in time to watch the Leftovers at nine. I'll try to catch up. Can't say I'll be successful with viewing it in real time as we usually eat dinner at my folks on Sun. and I often don't get home in time to catch the 8pm time slot. That's why I had to give up watching Once Upon a Time. I'm gonna try though since you gave it a good review.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

ah! it's a new show!! i changed channels just when the pillars of the earth marathon was over. darn. i thought somehow it was the white queen. i will definitely catch up and watch it. thanks, everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  8. purriwinkle

I finally saw the premiere and I thought it was pretty good. Now I have to do some research on the War of the Roses so I can get more of a handle on the characters and what was going on at that time period in England.

If it turns out I keep missing it, I'll try to record it. For some reason I can't get my Starz on demand to work but it'll be one or the other.

9. southernlady

I researched after I read the book. The history is very interesting, the Princes in the Tower still one of the greatest mysteries. I'm looking forward to tonight's episode!

10. Lindigo

i like it very much. i sort of wish i had missed an initial run so i could now watch episode after episode. just have to wait.

my on demand offers a behind the scenes snippet that says for the home of the white princess they used an honest-to-goodness house of that era so the audience would immediately get the genuine feel of the times. neato.

• Like Like x 1
  11. southernlady

I'm a binge watcher as well :) I am enjoying the show very much, starting to warm up a bit to Henry lol. I do find I like prefer Amanda Hale as Margaret Beaufort rather than Michelle Fairley. Amanda was pious but not as severe as Michelle. I felt I could have like Margaret in the White Queen, somewhat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lindigo

@southernlady, i was fascinated that the rule was you were not a traitor if you fought against the new king in the decisive battle, so long as you pledged fealty to the new king after the win. what a startling and sensible way to curb what would be endless fighting.

then for henry to ignore the rule and declare he was king the day before the battle!!!! i was so shocked, i realized how easily i had adopted the rule of the times.

and, wouldn't everyone have wondered abt the paternity of the baby? seems like he should have kept her in isolation for a while as step one to getting an heir.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. southernlady

I did wonder how Henry could proclaim himself King the day BEFORE the battle. Richard was still alive and still King. But they did make the rules up as they went along. But now we know where Henry VIII got it from!

Cecily, I really would love to kick her butt. I'm waiting to see what Lizzie does about her as her influence with Henry grows.

• Like Like x 1
  14. southernlady

Okay, so Henry is really growing on me now! I am fully team Henry/Lizzie. It's a shame that Margaret and Elizabeth didn't leave Henry and Lizzie to find happiness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm going to binge watch the first three episodes today.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

I like the show as a fictitious drama. It's based on a fiction book, it's not based on historic events.

Elizabeth was King Richard III niece, there is no way he was having a fling with her. And he was married to Ann Neville.

17. Lindigo

:eek: i am so gullible. :D

18. southernlady

She also wrote The Other Boleyn Girl, which again was entertaining but not historically correct.

I did find it sad though when they found King Richards remains buried in a parking lot. I follow the King Richard Society page on Facebook, if I ever make it to England I would love to visit the museum.

I do wish the Crown would allow the bones found in the tower after the Princes went missing to be tested for DNA. This is one of those mysteries that could be solved.

19. Lindigo

wow, i didn't know abt that. i had to look for why they would object. not wanting to harm the architecture makes sense to me, but at the same time, yes, it is too bad.

i was astonished and glad they found richard so they could give him a decent resting place. the car park just happened over time and was a good protective cover, as i saw it.

this is what i read abt the bones probably of the princes. it won't be newsy to you guys, but it was fascinating to me.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...olved-after-more-than-500-years-10466190.html

• Like Like x 1
  20. southernlady

It is fascinating! I'd really be interested to find out if Elizabeth did switch Prince Richard with another boy. The Duchess of Burgundy has said she did and Richard went to France, or so I've read.