Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

The writing is getting pretty lazy.

Discussion in 'Episode 410 - Inmates' started by mtito914, Feb 16, 2014.

1. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

There has been so much anticipation of Carol reuniting with the group..and how do they write it?....Carol just pops up out of nowhere.

Glenn said 0ne shot was fired the bus ...and that is the explanation for a bus full of walkers? What? One person got shot and turned and nobody got away and they all turned??

WTF is Gimple thinking???

2. Carl Grimes

Carl Grimes Member

Don't disrespect GimpleLord.

3. filthyastronaut

How else is Carol supposed to show up besides just showing up? They even gave the explanation that Carol saw what was left after the fight and was trailing behind Tyreese and the girls for a while, but couldn't catch up to them (I think she was keeping her distance because Tyreese may have known about Karen). That's not out of nowhere. And I thought Glenn didn't get on the bus, I missed that he was giving any explanation for what happened there. Regardless, maybe some got away, some didn't. We don't really care about them. It was a way to get rid of peripheral characters that didn't defy logic.

The writing has not gotten lazy. It's gotten better.

4. AndyChicago

AndyChicago Member

I agree. I thought the Carol scene was fine. I like surprise reveals like that, just like with Judith. Tara explaining away the fate of Lilly seemed cheap and tacked-on. So did Tyreese explaining away the blood in the car seat. Cheap exposition.

5. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

Glenn said nothing about the bus. Yeun did and he did not mention one shot at all.

They explained how carol found them.

Did you seriously read half my post about the interview and then use it as lazy writing proof without even bothering to make sure you knew what it said?

How is " your hand okay? Yeah." Exposition?

6. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

He is starting to make Mazzara look pretty damn good.

7. Carl Grimes

Carl Grimes Member

GimpleLord no like you.

8. AndyChicago

AndyChicago Member

It was more than that. Tyreese said "It was a lot worse at the prison." Come on.
    Also how was Tara's unprompted description of her sister's death not cheap exposition?

9. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

1, 2 or even 3 people being shot on the bus would not be a plausible explanation for everyone turning walker.. There would be ample time for the people on the bus to get away.

10. filthyastronaut

I'm not sure if I'd call it cheap. The episode did a lot of subtle explanation and exposition, so some in the dialogue felt fine. Shows can't always use absolute nuance for that kind of thing. Both instances made sense. The wound was still an issue, and Tara just found someone who was treating her well and she had no other outlet. Glenn was someone to talk to. Dialogue exposition is often cheap, but I don't think these qualify.

There wasn't a clear explanation, but there are several available. People getting shot, people who were sick and died, people who were elderly and died, etc. No one alive in the show will ever know exactly what happened, and neither will we. They were unimportant characters and they served their purpose. The way they were killed wasn't offensive or illogical. There is nothing wrong with that.

#10 filthyastronaut, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  11. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

I think that being sick, elderly and just coming from a shitstorm at the prison could be viable reasons. Is this really what you're concerned with? So many other great things tonight, to discuss.

12. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I didn't mention Tara at all. How do you know my opinion on that? Though watching your sister die like 5 minutes ago would get talked about...

If they don't tell us what happened how the heck are we supposed to know? That really does not count for exposition in my book. We didn't know Ty was injured.

13. AndyChicago

AndyChicago Member

Eh. Close quarters. Some were sick. Maybe they ran out of gas and were surrounded by a herd. I could see it happening. And its sometimes nice when things go unexplained. Gives it a "real" feel.

No disrespect, but the was a little defensive/combative/argumentative. We're all here to debate, and we're not going to agree on everything.

14. filthyastronaut

It boils down to the sentiment that things should be shown and not told. In general, that's true, but good fiction and nonfiction writers know when to show and when to tell. You never choose just one as a writer. I think this episode did both really well.

15. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

I know. But it annoyed me that he posted this 5 minutes after replying to that and then didn't even type what I did or get it right. Just reads as fishing for something. It was worded like that intentionally. I might as well own up to it.

#15 legendx66, Feb 17, 2014
  16. AndyChicago

AndyChicago Member

Sry double post.

#16 AndyChicago, Feb 17, 2014
  17. AndyChicago

AndyChicago Member

LOL well it is TWD. No biggie.

18. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Yes, this is what I want to point out. Those are not viable reasons. They have a whole team of writers who should be able to create scenarios that don't come out of thin air. So your saying they were sick. What is the viable answer there? They all died at the same time? Elderly? No. those bus walkers were pretty young, one looked like Glenn.

19. filthyastronaut

Those people were on the bus and not fighting for a reason. Most of them were probably still sick, and yes, elderly. We didn't see everyone who came out of the bus. It could have been a perfect storm of bullets, sick, and elderly. It's all well and good for us to assume that it couldn't happen that way, but people were in a position to die and turn and the bus was close quarters. Maybe some got away. Who knows. We won't. They don't have to explain anything away and the lack of information about exactly what went down doesn't make it unrealistic. Just unknown.

20. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

We don't know what happened and it doesn't matter but you are making assumptions about it too. One died and killed others. Maybe they were trapped at that point . No one knows in or out of story. They ran in a crazy aftermath and we're found dead. What exactly do we need? There are a thousand plausible ways to show it but showing it wasn't needed or intended in the first place. Writers can't show everything so they don't show what is easy to figure out. Why do we need that?

You can't assume it didn't happen anymore than you can assume it did when we don't even know. There is nothing to pick at or some flaw. We weren't told. Are secrets plot holes now?