Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Them [510]- Criticisms and Complaints

Discussion in 'Episode 510 - Them' started by Neuropyramidal, Feb 12, 2015.

1. CoyoteTWD

CoyoteTWD Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it only be 1.4 million people in the world? And 7 billion walkers. YIKES!

2. CoyoteTWD

Typical Facebook/Twitter post:

By the way, your av cracks me up!

3. rustybag

rustybag Member

Oops yes I was off on the decimal point. Scary statistic!

(that would actually put the world population at what it was around 8000-10,000 bc :/ )

#283 rustybag, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  4. CoyoteTWD

Scary indeed. No wonder it's tough out there for them. And when seemingly half of the 1.4 million people left seem to be crazy or opportunistic assholes, it is literally like hell on Earth for decent people.

5. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

Panicking people make irrational choices. This was my point about grocery stores getting wiped out early on, such as the old man snagging 8 loaves of bread and the milk getting wiped out. Like Neuro said, perishables won't last long, especially with no refrigeration, but it didn't stop the old man from deciding this was his best option to ride out the storm, as useless as this would be in the long term.If our group found this man a few months out, he would have consumed non perishables and they would have found the remnants of moldy loaves of bread. When Rick first goes to Atlanta and Glenn finds him, it was because they were out on a supply run and apparently had been several times before ( this is about 2 months out). They did search office buildings, and got overrun with walkers. When the group is on the highway, they did search the vehicles. Carl took Something from the truck guy, Carol was rummaging through clothes and told Lori that Ed never let her wear nice things, and then they got overrun with walkers ...at Hershel's farm , they made supply runs even though they had food and wells for water, and then they got overrun with walkers.after the farm we see them clearing a house only to find a can of dog food and shoot an owl and get overrun with walkers...we all know how the prison story goes...then Rick and Carl hole up in a house and Carl makes a sweep, finds a can of pudding and loses his shoe to a walker, enter the Claimers, who are sweeping houses themselves. More recently, we know Abe kills a man for a can of food, Glenn, Rosita and Tara take clothes off the walkers while getting water from stream, Michonne breaks the glass on the frame for " a clean shirt" and Carl finds a music box on a run we never saw him go on. As for Woodbury, lets Say there are 80 people...if each of these people get 1 meal and 1 bottle of water per day, that's still 80 meals and 80 bottles of water per day...x 7 days/wk for months...that is a lot of supplies. Groups of people , whether it's 5 or 50,scattered every 20 -30 miles could wipe out a locality pretty quick, so I just dont think the lack of resources almost 2 years out is that unrealistic and it's not like the writers don't have our group searching, and sometimes the goal is to find other resources, medicine, weapons, ammo. Now, I've had my share of WTF moments myself but I accept that this is a TV show and not a documentary or ZA Survival Guide, and think the writer's have conveyed the difficulty and dangers of supply runs without it getting too redundant or boring. Given that they are in a rural area and this far out from the outbreak and perhaps coming across an old man's house whose preparation for the Apocalypse consisted of buying 8 loaves of bread, this is not one of those moments for me. Besides if everything just fell into place without threats of walkers and other humans, it wouldn't be much of a show.
    Sorry for the long winded post, it just kinda bothered me that some felt they should take "sides". Sam has some good points but just feel that some credit is due to the storytellers along with the criticisms. I enjoy talking about it and like to hear other people's views, my intention was not to come off as arguing. Thanks if you read this far!!

6. Camilleyun

the Gov said early days, not weeks so I guess I just imagined that the first few days that the recently deceased began to reanimate, our ever vigilant media would have had non stop coverage. They at least had enough coverage long enough to direct people to evacuation centers. People didn't know everyone is infected or that you had to kill the brain. In real life , if grandma died and then got back up and tried to eat you, we'd be flippin the freak out, then you blow a hole in Nanna's chest, but she just gets back up??? Lol @ live tweeting the ZA....this is totally plausible....would give new meaning to " viral video".

7. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Or Instagram:

[​IMG]

#justgirlythings #iwokeuplikethis #messyhurrdontcurr #instacute #flawless #nofilter #ootd #followback

Thanks! It's the outhouse zombie from Z Nation. I miss that show; it's comedy gold.

8. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Was that me? I was just fooling around when I said that. I gave my opinion, and then in the next paragraph became worried that I may have at least partially agreed with [MENTION=6432]sam12six[/MENTION] about something. :zombies_lol: :zombies_lol: :zombies_lol:

Seriously, though, everyone has made some good points.

The Gov did mention people hunkered around the TV. It would have taken at least a little while for all communications to have gone down, and we know the military spent some time trying to evacuate people (and then changed their minds and started bombing them).

I agree with what you said about people's instinct to horde things in times of crisis. Heck, even on a day before a civic holiday I notice bare shelves in the grocery store. And if you don't get to the liquor store well before New Year's Eve, you'll end up drinking whatever booze no one else wants. ;) Before the snowstorm two weeks ago that you mentioned, I did see people stocking up on all kinds of things, not just the smart things like bottled water and batteries. It was the TWD premiere weekend, so I made sure I had lots of beer and chips and then spent the next 48 hours praying that my cable wouldn't go out.

9. Camilleyun

Hey, no problem! I didn't mean anyone in particular, I'm new here and don't want to step on toes. I thought rustybag made some good points and sam's initial response was kinda harsh. I was just agreeing and trying to back them up, but got the feel sam took it the wrong way.
    lol @ praying the cable doesn't go out....I was like, in a quivering voice, ...if the power goes out, I'll miss TWD!!(priorities anyone?)..and then I called my mom just to be sure she wouldn't call me during the show. Is that wrong?

10. jlopez41

jlopez41 Member

It all started with Noah. Blame him.

11. CoyoteTWD

Perfect -- the hashtags would be insane! #someoneseatingmyface #itsobamasfault #iseedeadpeople

I never watched Z Nation. Sounds like I should check it out. Is it anything like Shaun of the Dead (which I loved)?

12. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

You didn't step on any toes, but we've all done it at one time or another. It's unavoidable with so many big personalities around here. Most of us take it in stride, though. Welcome to the forum! :Grin:

It isn't wrong at all. Everyone in my life knows not to attempt to contact or interrupt me between 8:00 and 11:00 on a Sunday night, or there will be hell to pay.

13. sam12six

sam12six Member

That's been my biggest complaint from the beginning. I have no problem with these poor people being placed in a situation that's basically hell on Earth and which only the luckiest can survive. I do have a problem with the fact that the group either puts itself in danger, fails to take any precaution against danger or reacts idiotically when danger comes knocking - and still find themselves alive, after.

To me, this weakens the entire premise of the show, the idea that it's a perilous world with death waiting around every turn. As an example, if they had fortified the prison fence properly and the writers came up with a reason - I don't care what the reason - for zombies to overrun the prison in spite of their efforts, great. As it was, their fortification effort consisted of "let's lean shit against the fence", and my reaction to their being overrun was, "Well, of course they were."

It wouldn't have taken much effort to write or shoot a reason for zombies to have gotten into a well fortified prison. It could have been anything from a human interest angle (i.e. Lizzie dumps the clutch and drives through the fence - driving lessons in the ZA) to something bizarre (zombies shuffling around suddenly sink into the ground and the hole turns out to have been an in-progress escape tunnel), as long as it was the environment being deadly in spite of the group's making some effort not to die instead of how it usually happens where they somehow live in spite of apparently not caring to make the minimal efforts toward security, stability and hygiene.

Well, again, this isn't the thread for positivity... ;)

Otherwise, I don't think there's anything wrong with someone taking sides. We have different opinions about how this fictional world came to be. I believe it must have been extremely quick for these feeble zombies to have taken over. Others believe humanity hung on for weeks, slowly losing a battle of attrition. Since the show doesn't directly tell us, there's no insult to anyone's intelligence for someone to hold the opposite (or a completely different) opinion.

After I discovered the show (a season and half or so after it started), I joined this forum because it was just so damned good I had to talk about it with people. Now, reading people's opinions and discussions are about 70% of the reason I watch the show - if I weren't a member of this forum, I probably wouldn't watch the show anymore.

When the capturing force breaks a POW, it starts tiny. The very first step is having the person admit that his country is not perfect. Once this step has been achieved, it's no time at all before the POW is making full-on propaganda speeches against his country.

In partially agreeing with me, you've made that crucial first step. You've stepped over the cliff''s edge. I look forward to welcoming you fully into that mental place where you can't help but notice that the clothes they're wearing look like they've been wiping their asses with them, but they had a perfectly, pristinely white sheet to wrap Tyreese. In this mental place, you'll find yourself suggesting to the characters on the screen that, in the future, they should consider wiping their asses with pieces of such a sheet instead of with their shirts.

In this mental space, you'll find yourself growling at the screen that a stream drying up doesn't result in frogs lying dead along the dry stream bed. You'll be forced to acknowledge that when a stream dries up, the frogs hop away in search of water elsewhere and live or die based on what they find. The fact that they don't roll over on their backs, give 3 kicks and give up the ghost seems to indicate that the frogs died of something like disease or poison. The show will go on and it will never be revisited, but in the back of your mind, you'll forever wonder what killed the frogs.

Now that you've taken this first step, you're on your way to losing something. You'll no longer be able to sit in front of the screen with a vacuous grin on your face telling yourself the show is the best just because it used to be the best. On the plus side, though, without a few of us, there wouldn't be anything to discuss substantially.

#293 sam12six, Feb 20, 2015
  14. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

If you like Shaun of the Dead, that means you aren't a stickler about tr00 zombie lore and are capable of enjoying a good zom-com, so yes, you should give Z Nation a try. However, SOTD is clever, while Z Nation is silly. It's basically a send-up of every zombie B movie you've ever seen, but with serious parts as well. It's made by some of the same people responsible for Sharknado, but I like Z Nation much better. I wasn't a fan after watching the first episode, but it grew on me.

We had quite a lively thread going here, and are now waiting imapatiently for season 2: http://www.walkingdeadforums.com/forum/f152/z-nation-76231.html

#294 and138, Feb 20, 2015
  15. CoyoteTWD

No, I'm not a zombie zealot at all. I'm a fan of good shows, regardless of the subject matter. I'll check out Z Nation.

16. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Finally, someone gives a reasonable explanation for continuing to hate-watch this show. :p

Meh, I'm a tough nut to crack. It is a slippery slope, though, I agree.

Dude, I've been posting about the suspiciously dead frogs, but I gave up on it because I didn't feel like spending time researching what frogs do in times of drought. I understand some frogs burrow into the ground or under rocks or logs until the water returns, but for how long? Do all types of frogs behave like this? We need a herpetologist to answer these burning questions.

Do you really imagine that those of us who still like the show and focus on the big-picture storytelling rather than a bunch of nitpicky details are a bunch of grinning fools? :zombies_lol: Of course I admit that fault can be found with the show, but there's that old saying about not being able to see the forest for the trees. But yes -- true enough -- without differing opinions, there wouldn't be much to discuss.

17. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

Well, I guess "good" depends on your definition of such. But it certainly is an entertaining show. :Grin:

18. CoyoteTWD

OMG -- thank you! I'm so sick of those who pick apart all of the inconsistencies of the show calling everyone who still likes it mindless fanboys/girls or, in this case, vacuous grinning fools. Like you, I realize there are faults with the show and many liberties that they take to create drama. Some of these things annoy me but not enough to make me dislike the entire show. As long as I care about the characters and their journey and they keep things mostly grounded in reality (like they don't start flying and shit) then I don't give a shit if Rick's gun has kickback or not or if frogs commit mass suicide.

19. CoyoteTWD

A good show is one that I enjoy whether it makes me think, laugh, cry or whatever!

20. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

I fly my fangirl flag with pride.

[​IMG]