Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

There's Coke in the Midas Touch??

Discussion in 'Episode 405 - Internment' started by Neuropyramidal, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I swear that theme song is saying this.

2. tink

tink Well-Known Member

There's coke AND the Midas touch?

3. Ariel Gad

Ariel Gad New Member

There's Coke in the Midas Touch

It's a song by Ben Howard.

"There's Coke in the Midas Touch. A Joke in the way we rust."

Coke is a high carbon material derived from coal and used in the process of smelting iron ore to make steel. Midas was a king in Greek mythology who turned things to gold by his touch, this of course was a curse and not a blessing because even his food and drink turned to gold and he eventually died hungry despite his wealth. In gold smelting, coke is not normally used as it would be an impurity in the gold. "Coke in the Midas touch" is a metaphor possibly meaning that there is a cost to comfort and riches. This metalurgical metaphor is consistent with the next line which says "a joke in the way we rust." Again, rust destroys, just as coke would ruin the purity of gold. It is therefore, unlikely that the word "coke" refers to cocaine as the language of metaphor convincingly points to it referring to the coke used in smelting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Very Interesting. Seems fitting. And The Midas Touch also appears to be an alcoholic beverage, that is made straight, without any filler [soda]. So maybe Ben Howard had his drink watered down with coke the night before he made that song. :p

5. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

I looked up the lyrics Sunday night and 2 websites say "croak" in a Midas touch! I was thinking I was really living under a rock, not being able to decipher what "croak" was. Eventually, I did find the correct lyrics...lol. Thanks @Ariel Gad for the info!

6. Altered_st8

Altered_st8 New Member

It's one of those lyrics with a double meaning. The obvious one that people pick up on is the drug reference comparing it to the midas touch which was a curse disguised as a blessing. The less obvious one is the one that's already been discussed in this thread.

7. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Geez... I thought it referred to an ability that was like "the Midas touch" except instead of everything turning into gold by way of touch, everything turned into cocaine. ;-)

ZOMG that would be SOOOO f*cking AWESOME! lolz

8. badsideefex

badsideefex New Member

I think coke in the Midas touch means something pure like our bodies have been defiled by something impure. Hence "A joke in the way we rust.
    Oats in the water. The oats have been ruined by the water as well as the water by the oats.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Z-Man

Z-Man Well-Known Member

Precisely! "There's Coke in the Midas touch" Or Soot in the Gold= Impure Element The basic themes in the song of a good thing being spoiled.

10. TheGreatOnion

TheGreatOnion Well-Known Member

I thought the Midas Touch referred to the guarantee offered by the high quality mechanics. "That's the Midas Touch!" Thank goodness this was explained, because I thought the song was saying them guys were doing coke. I was starting to look for a new mechanic.