Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Thing that bothers me the most about Gabriel

Discussion in 'Episode 514 - Spend' started by RatFeeder, Mar 19, 2015.

1. RatFeeder

RatFeeder Member

I just have to get this off my chest, because for all the statements regarding Rick's group, their 'sins', nobody is claiming they are perfect. They made some really hard, sometimes f'ed up choices, but isn't that what one of the main points of this show? To see how people act when faced with this kind of environment? Some people lose all humanity like the group that Daryl had to run with, some lose their minds and actually start eating people?

Rick and co aren't perfect but they laid their lives on the line for each other and sometimes even complete strangers. We've been with them to see their loss, learning, growth, hardships and even small victories. We are not 'excusing' ANYTHING they do, but we are emotionally invested in them.

What Gabriel did to his parishioners, or rather didn't do, is nothing but straight cowardice. You can say Rick and co did a lot of things but I don't feel they were ever cowards about it.

We can debate all day about Gabriel's actions and if he's right about the group or not, but there is one part of his speech to Deanna that really, really bothered me. That part was when he said ASZ was paradise, and Rick and co do not deserve paradise. So people who want to say Gabriel is using his faith to fall on and is just a priest, let me say this, a real man of faith would never say something like that. Worthiness to be a part of paradise is not his call, a priest doesn't judge, a priest would never say somebody doesn't deserve paradise. That's is the line that convinced me he is a crazy coward. He has lost his way and his words are not those of a faithful priest but a scared, conniving , traitor.

That is all, sorry for the rant :)

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Many priests judge all the time. You know never know the crap a person of faith might say. But otherwise, yeah, Gabriel is of course just a coward and a hypocrite.

3. RatFeeder

RatFeeder Member

You got me there, but that line was the one that just really pissed me off.

4. Blueman

Blueman Well-Known Member

''This is paradise and Rick's group has done horrible unspeakable things and they do not deserve to be there. But, I deserve to be here as I have not done unspeakable things.''

His tone implied, contrary to Rick's group, he himself deserved to be there.

If he said something like "Rick's group does not deserve to be here and neither do I. His group and I both did unspeakable things.''
    If so, I would think he was consistent. But this is ''one scale with two differing weights'' or ''harsh on others but lenient on oneself''.

This pissed me off even more.

5. mfinley

mfinley Member

6. RatFeeder

RatFeeder Member

7. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Priests know they shouldn't sexually abuse children as well, that doesn't stop some of them.

The Catholic church has one of the worst reputations for institutionalized abuses.

8. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Imagine the sorry state of the world, if morals actually came from organized religion, and the people who purport to be the human experts of it.

9. mfinley

mfinley Member

Just trying to help you expand your limited knowledge of religion, the religious and how religions effects the world. Obviously you need a little if you think a priest would never judge someone.

10. firstfooter

firstfooter Active Member

11. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I think you are picking at nits here. If you look at the use of the words "faithful priest" and "real man of faith", and apply it to the penultimate sentence, it makes sense. A real, faithful priest is not supposed to go around judging others.

12. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Actually, most large public school districts are worse than the Catholic church.

13. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Why wouldn't they? People are people, it doesn't matter what their job is, where they live, or what their ethnic background may be.

Just because you give someone a law enforcement badge it doesn't mean they are going to protect and serve the community. And if someone wins elective office it doesn't mean they are going to do what is in the best interest of their constituency or the country.

There are definitions that we place on certain jobs or roles, but many people fall short of that.

We should respect everyone as an individual as long as they don't give us reason not to, but someone doesn't deserve respect simply due to their title, position or societal status.

14. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl Member

Or the crap a crazy person might say....
    Or the crap a "normal" person might say...
    Or the crap anyone might say...
    Always gotta find a way to spread your poison?
    The post is about a character, and that his words don't fit what a humanity loving preacher would say. Priests, pastors, preachers whatever, aren't SUPPOSED to do the judging. There are thieves and liars in every profession. But it gets old reading the hatred spew every time a vague reference to religion is made. Save it for the god and religion hate thread...
    I agree with the OP there is very little this character has shown, that leads me to believe his actions are those of a sane man.

15. Darylette

Darylette Member

Predators are drawn to positions of trust and put a lot of work into seeming like perfect people. They go to any position where they have an excuse to be around children and crucially that they'll be trusted with the children e.g. Scout leaders, teachers. Individuals in the church have brought great shame to the church by committing or covering up abuse.

16. westwingnut

Plenty of corruption and abuse goes on in communist countries too. Except that the government controls the media, so it never sees the light of day.

17. mfinley

mfinley Member

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisition

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missionary

All examples of extremely faithful priests and the outcomes that resulted in hundreds of thousands if not millions of deaths, in so many cases not only judging, but judge, jury and executioner all in the name of religion and faith.

If all of that is too much to read, here is just a small excerpt about religion and priests not judging someone ---

#17 mfinley, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  18. westwingnut

Well, if you want to talk about how people behaved hundreds of years ago, that's your prerogative. There are some of us here who are talking about the religious people, good and bad, that we encounter today.

Since you are going to repeat yourself, I think I will repeat myself too. Here's something I posted in the God and Religion topic a little ways back:

19. westwingnut

Now, moving on, I will add this about Gabriel. Having put that clerical collar back on, he has put himself forward as some type of moral authority figure. That makes him an even greater target of derision.

20. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

You should read Daniel Boorstein's book "the Discoverers". Very enlightening about how the world was back then. You'd be surprised at how the secular people we read about as school kids cut off people's hands by the boatload, burnt people alive by the score, etc. It was a rough world back then. Be thankful you live here, now.