Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

This is not the same Negan we love from the comics

Discussion in 'Episode 704 - Service' started by Eat_Cow, Nov 15, 2016.

1. TheSlayingTaco1

TheSlayingTaco1 Well-Known Member

I hope this happens...its one of my favorite moments!

2. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

No...
    After watching the show a second time I think Negan's a very good and reasonably guy.
    1. He let them keep all their food!
    2. He allowed Rick to hold Lucille, that in itself is such an honor.
    3. He didn't kill anyone, he even held off a couple of walkers for them.
    4. He displayed incredible self control in front of Carl when Carl was threatening his guys with a gun, just think what could have happened!

Overall he just too a few things he really thought he needed and he was nice and polite, such a swell guy.
    Well, other than the mattresses, he must've got down the road and realized he didn't really need those so why waste more fuel?

Now I do have one thing to say...

You did read the comics long before the TV show ever aired, right?
    Right, so you never touched the comics just because of the show. It wasn't like you had never heard of the comics and one day you were watching the show and then you came to the Internet and found out there were comics!? So off you went to read those in an effort to get a heads up on what's coming ahead of everyone else, right?
    Right, you didn't do that because you're an upstanding guy.
    That's right, yes, that's what I thought.

#22 8307c4, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  3. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGUMsxVt4YU

4. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah I almost forgot to add you to the TIL.
    Shame, it was actually kind of a good song.
    Done.

#24 8307c4, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  5. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

6. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Ooooh! Do I sense the beginnings of a flame war? Let me get some popcorn just in case. BRB

7. Eat_Cow

Eat_Cow Member

And in my thread! This is the first time it's ever happened to me! I'm so excited!

8. Chiron

Chiron Member

Whatever else is deemed reasonable from Negan, his so called "rules" on women I will never buy as defensible. He is a lech. Fair enough. We got that again in 704 in the Rosita scene at the gate. That is not a crime even in a ZA. And she stood up for herself by her body language.

Sherry agreed to marry him to save Dwight whether that was literally spoken by her is not relevant. Would Sherry, ambling along,meet charming Negan and decide to leave her husband and marry him? No she is spoils of war just like the p@£&y bar. Is she free to leave? No. She looked scared speaking to Daryl not like she was his wife. If she gets pregnant she would most certainly be subject to an abortion. When he said he was going to "ask" the widow Maggie to live in the Sanctuary - with Daryl being held prisoner, what would Maggie have "chosen" to do?

Negan is such a reasonable guy he lets comfort women "agree" to be used? Despicable. If we are shown some scene where he saves some woman from a violent rape and our conclusion should be, "oh this is different", then that is thin ice. In the end Negan coerces and enslaves everyone,man and woman, so he can live as he chooses. The rules are pure Stockholm Syndrome. If I do this, my captor doesn't hurt me, my loved ones, and maybe I live. In fact over time this seems benevolent.

Makes sense. Very reasonable indeed.

9. LolaDemented

LolaDemented Active Member

Was Negan around when the Savior was with Enid? I can't remember however I do know I sat there thinking ok you are really kinda creepy and acting like a pedophile. I am curious how Negan would react to that type of situation seeing as he states no rape.

10. diordior

diordior Active Member

Cuz this show's amazing dialogue and plot certainly has the capacity to give us such cognitive dissonance.

11. DragonRacer

DragonRacer Well-Known Member

Annnnnd this would be the other parts about TV Negan that have me not impressed at all.

His situation with Sherry and the wives was ambiguous at best in the comics. There was no backstory to them at all. At most, we're told they didn't want to work jobs around Sanctuary for points, so they chose to be wives instead, which nets them protection and top pick of everything. And they clearly don't seem to be fearful when they show the parlor - Negan's angry and yelling, Sherry tells him to chill the fuck out, and there's two women sitting there playing cards who don't even look up or bat an eyelash. Like, at all. Negan's also territorial of his wives, never saw a hint of "here, eat at the pussy bar" in the comic. There is no backstory of Sherry and Dwight running away, coming back, then Sherry offering to be a wife to save Dwight. That is all made up by the show. In fact, we actually learn Sherry had one foot out of her relationship with Dwight before Negan even came along, according to more recent comics. Tina, Sherry's sister, never even existed in the comics, so TV Negan's super-creepy monologue about offering her to be a wife so she could afford her medicine is atrocious. Because, again, we see no evidence of any kind of creepy coercion like that in the comics.

Arrrrrgggghhh. Comic Negan is a hound dog and a polygamist and will hit on any chick that moves, yeah. But there is literally NO evidence of coercion into wife status... not like the road the show has decided to go. And considering how much rape horrifies Negan (the look on his face in comic panels where he sees it about to go down and intervenes... twice now, that we've at least been shown), it just doesn't make sense to me.

12. StaceFace

StaceFace Member

I think this gave us a little insight to how the saviours could be swayed to turn against Neegan. Not following rules, waiting for him to be out of earshot to start humiliating and harrassing girls. Dwight done the same with Rosita and her hat/water - Neegan had already walked off by then. I also thought these were the two handguns (Rosita's and Spencer's) that were missing and Olivia was going to be killed for Dwight not voicing his repossession.

13. Chiron

Chiron Member

Yep, we exchanged notes about this end of S6. I was under the impression that the comics had these women as lazy and had chosen to be part of his harem of sorts. And did not mind in the least entertaining him. No issue with that whatsoever. The women "slavery" thing though is Negan's most distasteful characteristic to me. TWD has steered clear of those minefields as the show does not lend itself to ponderous topics like rape, abuse etc. which take subtlety and sensitivity to get right. Carl's hint of abuse was harrowing enough.

Gimpy and Nicotero seem to writing Negan since 703 like 11 year olds at the back of the bus, trying to cram in as many giggles as possible. I don't mind if they make Negan sadistically cruel and all-powerful but it should be believable. The "rules" that are hinting oh he is realllllly not a total jerk, they are not selling very well. Let us hope it will improve as I REALLY wanted a damn scary villain. The Guv was just lame ( Tyreese death scene an exception)despite really liking Morrissey as an actor. He has made some great Brit films and I think maybe miscast in TWD.

At least you still have your comic Negan even if they f up TV one.

14. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

There is a silver lining. People have stopped complaining about Morgan.

15. dhdhdh33

dhdhdh33 Member

Negan bores me to tears. The situation with the Saviors is interesting and characters reactions around that is interesting. Every minute Negan is in the screen is a waste.

16. ShaneFan

ShaneFan Well-Known Member

I think so too. They started building on it in the Season 6 finale when Negan crouched down to speak with Carl, and then when Carl and Negan had that exchange in the last episode. In order to give full and true justice to Negan's character, the writers need to show both sides of him--especially the story of him and Carl.

17. Znuts

Znuts Member

I think the problem with tv Negan, is that a lot of people watching the show haven't read the comics, so they don't know what Negan is supposed to be like. All they know is what they've seen the past 5 episodes and all of them have been Negan treating Rick's group terribly and killing 2 of their favorite characters on the show. I think it's already too late to save Negan's character on the show, as people that are only watching the show have no sympathy for him and only want him dead at this point. My group that I watch the show with has only 1 person who has read most of the comics and that is me. Everyone else in my watch group understands that Negan is an important part of the comics, but since they haven't read them, they just keep telling how much they want Rick's group to kill off Negan and all the Saviors and that there is nothing Negan could do to redeem himself.

18. LadyGrimes

LadyGrimes Well-Known Member

Well this show is good at making you hate a character at first and then making you love them later on. Case in point? Father Gabriel. I hated his guts as did a lot of people but now hes redeemed himself and become a likable character. I'm sure the same can happen with Negan as well.

19. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I was going to say something similar - I think at first introduction we're supposed to hate his guts (just like in the comics after he bashed Glenn's brains out) but then, just as in the comics, maybe they'll start to reveal things about him that are more gray-area as opposed to straight up villain. I think they've hinted at it here & there so far, but i think they still want us hating him at the moment.

Negan does seem to already have a soft spot for Carl though. Had anyone else shot his gun and held it up to one of his men, they would have gone bye-bye. Sure, he does probably want him alive so he has more leverage to control Rick but i do think he likes Carl and he is fascinated about what the ZA is doing to him. Not to mention Carl was not just randomly trying to shoot one of his men, but he was upset that they were taking all of the medication, and not just half. I thought that was also an opportunity for Negan to show some reasonableness...is that a word? Reasonableness.

#39 Jen7, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  20. LolaDemented

LolaDemented Active Member

We all hated Gabriel and wanted him dead so I agree completely with your thoughts.