Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

This show disinterests me more than ever.

Discussion in 'Episode 605 - Now' started by wolffe, Nov 10, 2015.

1. wolffe

wolffe Member

I'm finding that this show is now narrowly following a very boring formula. Every 5-10 minutes now there will be some sad/mellow music playing while character X gives some speech about "being strong", "This is reality, deal with it", or "We can survive if we do X".

It has gotten so repetitive it has lost all meaning. During these scenes I find the characters are not developed, it's just an actor delivering cheesey lines. Many of the things said would never be said if the ZA happened in real life. Everybody is very touchy-feely and everyone is emotional all the time. Even a lot of the men act like women.

Instead of the story progressing or anything interesting happening, the show devolves into bombastic moral speeches about nothing.

2. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

I don't know how many "this is reality, deal with it" speeches you've heard, but I haven't heard that many lol.
    Everyone being emotional is kind of a human thing. Especially when everything you've always known is gone.
    Besides, how does a woman specifically act, anyway? Last time I checked I don't act any different from my male friends, apart from different personalities lol.

3. HurricaneKid

HurricaneKid Member

I don't get threads like this. If you don't like the show don't watch.

Announcing you don't like it is like an Alexandrian not being able to handle the realities. Time to lose the chaff. Farewell, red shirt.

4. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

When TWD started, the viewer was just sucked into the story. They could imagine themselves there -- endless debates among viewers about what would you do, what could you do to survive. Unique. Entrancing. Enveloping. Fun.

Now there's no real story any more -- no shocking could I do this or right and wrong questions. Just splintered characters with snippets of stories and a lot of pandering to special interest groups. If it weren't for Andrew Lincoln, I doubt I would continue watching. But I love that actor and I do recognize that his story, at least, has levels and levels and levels of depth. And finally -- in this episode, they dropped the one dimensional crazy rick and brought us human, unbelievably strong, survivalist, human and sexy Rick. Granted, it probably won't last -- but WOW -- what a man, what an actor, what a character.

5. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

For the most part I agree with you.. A lot of it has to do with the great actors of the first 2 seasons..Every replacement that has come along since has been inferior....The worst was Tyreese, always giving that 50 yard out look as he is giving one speech after another..... But , Rick is still awesome and they do have some pretty good episodes still...Epi 1 and 3 this season were as good as any..But without a doubt the show hasn't been consistantly great since season 3.

6. Sully

Sully Active Member

Right. Considering that's basically the entire theme of this and the second half of last season, I don't think it's really that inappropriate for it to be a focus in last Sunday's episode. I'm pretty sure it was a pretty big theme of the comics too whenever the group first came to Alexandria.

Remember, Rick and his group are dealing with a group of people who have been sheltered this entire time. They haven't experienced anything like this yet, and it's obviously taking many speeches to get it through their thick skulls that this is how the world works now.

I think that's what the show is trying to portray. If it makes anyone feel any better, I think we're in the closing end of this theme. At least by the end of Episode 8 we'll be moving onto something else.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

Yes, I particularly agree with what you said. But my "like"/"thank" button isn't working. So-- LIKE/THANKS..

8. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

Choice #1- keep watching & expect to be swept off your feet by the writers. They won't always be so grounded in the emotional schtick - eventually men will thump their chests and drag women to caves. Someone has to stand up to these cry babies!!!

Choice #2- quit watching

Choice #3- put this in the complaints thread

9. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

Well, Chad Coleman had potential in my opinion, just like Tyreese as a character had a lot of potential. In the comics Tyreese was much bigger and important than he was in the TV show and I think I can safely say that many comic readers were disappointed. If you ask me, part of this reason is Daryl. Whereas he doesn't exist in the comics, he's become very important and taken some of the tasks Tyreese had in the comics that made him the character he was. Despite Daryl, I think they could've gotten a lot more out of his character. I think they did this with a lot of characters.

Now, I don't mean to say that the show has to be like the comics entirely. If so, we wouldn't have the Carol we had today, and actually, the Atlanta Five wouldn't be the Atlanta Five anymore, more like the Atlanta Three. But many 'meh' characters of the past seasons, and even season one and two, were much better in the comics, and I think they could've solved this simply by not messing up their storylines too much. Abraham is another example like Tyreese. He was more important to Rick and the group in the comics than he is now, and thus had more impact with what he did. I had such high hopes for him. Cudlitz is a great choice for Abe too. But look at the amount of screen time he's getting, and what scenes he's getting. This entire season he hasn't done much significant yet. Of course, he's part of the big herd drive, but that's about it. Last season he defended Holly, but what more did he do, that was really remarkable?

Actually, the best example would be Andrea - who was and is still huge in the comics, but majority found her annoying as TV character. Shame.

I've been thinking about your casting call, but after thinking it through I don't think this is the main problem. Cudlitz is a good choice for Abraham, yet he's not shining. Josh McDermitt fits as Eugene perfectly, Christian Serratos wasn't a bad call for Rosita either; and we still have Andrew Lincoln, Steven Yeun and Melissa McBride mainly, but also Chandler, Danai, Norman, Lauren - yet most of these characters, aside from Rick, Carol and at times Carl and Glenn, don't get enough opportunities to prove themselves. And before I forget, what about Lennie James? Do you call that bad casting as well? Andrew J. West? If you ask me he was great as Gareth.

So yeah, I agreed at first, but now that I think about it, it's not the casting that's not quality mostly [in some cases the casting calls were bad] but the way they handle and develop characters. Maybe this really is caused by having too big of a cast.

10. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

Many good points. The show's failure to give Cudlitz/Abraham a resounding role since he knocked Eugene out is a real disappointment. This actor, this character has some real story potential.

11. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. daryldixon

daryldixon Member

I agree this episode had way too many monologues which bugged me a bit

13. lis5112

lis5112 Well-Known Member

I just said this the other day (and I think you were the one who liked my post lol) ... The cast is big and we aren't getting enough of everyone ... it was very much like this with Lost. This is where great potential and story lines that were picked up get dropped and/or forgotten about (like the awesome dynamic between Sasha/Maggie in Alone, or Eugene/Tara, Michonne/Carl, etc) because they have to keep the story moving ... Sigh. This often leaves us with the bottle eps that everyone seems to loathe so much (I will continue to be the odd <wo>man out, because I rather enjoy them and love character building), however it leaves us with 2 or 3 eps going by before a prior storyline gets resolved (Glenn) or we see our favorite characters again (Morgan, Michonne, Carol missing from Sundays ep, besides being there IN Alexandria). It is why I said I have a love/hate relationship with Gimple ....he is an evil genius .... truly.

And ....sorry for the rambling ...

14. lis5112

I was wondering where you were? lol

15. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

Nah, nah, I completely agree. I love the bottle episodes as well, oddly. But I can understand when someone says the episodes have been boring. Everyone has been waiting on this one canon storyline to continue, to get answers, and they're not getting any because there's a thousand other storylines running at the same time, lol.

But at least I'm more happy with Gimple's comic adaption than Mazzara's bloodbath.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HondaS2kXD

HondaS2kXD Well-Known Member

A place with spotty Internet.

17. lis5112

Yes, he is much better at the in-depth storylines ...but ffs, he has been heavy on the deaths lately it seems. Since season 4, I have lost 2 of my favorite characters (3 if Glenn has actually bit the dust ...and even still 3 if Daryl partakes a certain epic comic death). God I hate him ....and then I love him for making me care/love these fictional characters enough to hate him! lol

18. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

Lol! I'm pretty picky thankfully, so far not many of my faves have been killed. But Glenn/Daryl, or Morgan.... either way, it's going to hurt. One thing for sure, Gimple knows how to hit you right in the feelings, lol!

19. lis5112

Yep ...like I said, and evil genius. lol

• Like Like x 1
  20. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

I'm not sure what you mean by the men act like women. If you are saying the men act like Carol, that's pretty bad ass, and all men should act like women.

So you'll have to elaborate on which women you speak of.