Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

This show disinterests me more than ever.

Discussion in 'Episode 605 - Now' started by wolffe, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

I think the last half of S5 to current is some of the more interesting and compelling stuff we've seen to date. This group's clash with the Alexandrian's is amazing character study stuff and great TV and they've successfully built up a load of tension and quite the pickle for the survivors to get themselves out of.

The first 3 episodes of this current season absolutely ruled. 4 & 5 slowed down, but it will pick back up.

I don't know what people are complaining about and all of this is to set up S7, which if you've read the comics you know what comes after is the best stuff in the comics.

I also acknowledge that I am biased and a massive fan and it's very difficult for them to upset me because I'm so invested in the story and characters.

I just don't see how we currently are a downgrade from S2 or S4. S3 was probably overall the best, but my personal favorite was latter half of S-4 through S5, which many people don't like.

S6 if it shapes up and continues on the path of the first 3 episodes could end up being my favorite one to date. I find it quite realistic and we can talk about writers and plans and characters - but none of these people are geniuses, they're just hardened survivors, they are going to make critical errors and fight among one another and that's what makes for good viewing!

Just enjoy it, or don't watch it. It's no big deal.

2. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

I don't like any of the gender-politics stuff as an individualist, but I do have to say that the majority of posters agreeing with me here on subjects of necessary ruthlessness and pathetic Alexandrian's are female(with superior written logical replies at that) and the posters arguing against me towards overt softness have been male(emotional based).

So it's funny that Wolfe posted that. The little bitches in Alexandria have been men.

That said - the show is even distributed between strong males/strong females and weak asses of all types. Realistic under the individualistic nature of strong willed people - the weaklings are mostly dead so we don't have much of a target sample base, they're all Walking around trying to munch on the living.

3. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

Not just that, she also really looks like her comic counterpart imo

4. Ionut

Ionut Active Member

That she does. They'll have to flesh her out more, her comic character was a good one.

5. MurakumoTsurugi

MurakumoTsurugi New Member

Well if the comics are anything to go off there is a shit storm brewing and I for one want to be around when it hits.

6. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

7. Poor Mika

Poor Mika Active Member

Fair enough...over in England I've tried to introduce a fair few people to it but only my 16 year old son watches it regularly. And tbh, I think he only really enjoys the zombie action. To be expected at that age, I guess. Let's hope we get a good episode tomorrow night that nearly all fans enjoy! (Monday for me here in the UK - as I like to watch on a proper TV screen, not via a dodgy internet connection on a laptop/ipad).

8. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

Disagreed, honestly. When S1 aired I was ?? 12 to 13? I was hooked immediately and loved the characters more than the zombies for they still scared me a bit at the time. At the time it wasn't so popular in my country yet, but as I was 16 this was exactly the year my classmates also got hooked and we had a lot of pretty in depth conversations about character development etc during class.

If you look online, also, you'll find a lot of younger but very interested viewers. I think my generation is especially prone to get really invested in TV shows and it's depth, at least that's my experience. Many of my classmates and friends are also emotionally invested with TV shows such as Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones. I think you'd be surprised, lol.

9. taco_lips

taco_lips Member

you make an interesting point. i am older than my friends who are holding me hostage to watch the series. could be a generational connection?

10. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

Could be!
    I wouldn't say our generation is entirely like that, because yes, there is a side that is really wild and outgoing lol. But I think it's safe to say many teenagers and people in their early 20s are very invested with TV shows, movies, books and video games. Majority of fandom blogs on Tumblr are around those ages as well, though not all, cause I've also seen some 30-something blog owners.

11. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn Well-Known Member

Show is going downhill for me tbh. I used to be glued to the television every Sunday night, but I do feel like some of the same scenarios are being recycled. That is all the effort I care to put forth.

12. taco_lips

taco_lips Member

invested may be an understatement. i nearly brought one of my friends to tears because i said i couldn't relate to the characters in the show. that's how i got guilted into watching season 6.

it's a fascinating phenomena.

13. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

I once stabbed my classmate through his hand with a pencil because he kept purposely bashing a character I was attached to.
    That was long ago, though, and I'm not proud of it LOL. But yeah, I agree. The thing, the secret to it I think is, that actually big amount of my age-mates are not happy in this society. I know that many (like me) suffer depression or disorders, mental illnesses and trauma's. If you want to escape reality, best way to do so is to completely immerse yourself into fictional worlds and characters. Guess I can speak out of experience, lol. I don't feel great either, and I don't feel like there's a place for me in our current society at all, so I tend to get overly attached to fictional things and get obsessed about that world for a long time.
    I guess this is also one of the reasons why they are usually very invested in reading and writing fanfiction as well, because that's where you can really shape your ideal world and ideal characters.

14. taco_lips

taco_lips Member

see, i swear there's some kind of weird possessed juju about this show that puts people in a state!

but seriously, i appreciate your analysis ~ there's a lot of truth to the escapist aspect of the phenomena. when i was a kid we definitely obsessed over the popular stuff of the time (star wars comes to mind), so i can understand how entering that world is a respite from the uncertainty of this one.

Walking Dead
    fans seem particularly devoted in ways i can't personally fathom, but it makes perfect sense to adopt an apocalyptic landscape far worse than the one we're living as a surrogate universe. in strange ways, fighting off zombies is much simpler than trying to navigate your way in the world as it is.

15. Poor Mika

Poor Mika Active Member

Tbh, that comment of mine is a bit flippant - and I wouldn't want to be stereotypical about the younger generation any more than I appreciate the reverse. That comment does relate to my son though, I think. However, my 17 year old daughter loves Breaking Bad and many other shows - and certainly likes to analyse the characters etc. to the nth degree.
    As regards society in general, I think younger people becoming adults have often felt unsure of where they fit in. Perhaps it's always been like this? Nowadays, I think many of my generation feel the same - the stability of jobs, pensions, relationships has all changed dramatically since I was a youngster. Not to mention the pace of technological change. I'm 50 btw. Maybe that's why I enjoy the relative simplicity of TWD:Grin:

16. Sachiko

Sachiko Active Member

Hmm, I mentioned earlier [to someone else] that from what I've seen, roaming the internet and questioning people my age, many that do get very immersed in TV shows, video games etc, are usually mentally troubled and don't [feel like they] fit in well in today's society. It's also safe to say that those who barely have a life outside their online life, often disagree with many things going on today [aka, racism, sexism, discrimination, war etc].

Surely, insecurity has always been a factor I believe. I know my mum was insecure back in her young days and I know my sister was, and I know I am now. But - talking to them about their environment honestly, I think this generation especially seems to suffer a ridiculous amount of mental issues. I have social anxiety, depression and neurotic tendencies myself and I recognise myself in this, because as soon as my mum allowed me to roam the web, I've somehow immersed myself in a complete new world, often with lots of fantasy. Mind you, when my mum gave me my own desktop I must've been 9/10 because my school required it... About 5/6 years ago I found Tumblr and have 4 different themed blogs [multifandom, The Walking Dead, equestrian and fish] and no matter what "social group" I join there, 80% of the related blogs are from people with depression, severe mental disorders and anxiety. They all have 10 different TV shows they get obsessed over, let alone all upcoming films, and in some cases canon video games.

But don't get me wrong, I think you're right, it really seems it has always been unsure for youngsters where they end up. We like security, but we don't have it, lol :Grin:

17. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Maybe you accidentally clicked on the "Post Thanks/Like" in black letters instead of the blue words just below that say "Thank" or "Like." I bet it's working fine. :)

18. Jama

Jama Well-Known Member

Uhhhh.... Too many hilarious directions that I could go in with the highlighted sentence. You are entitled to your opinion so I won't comment about that. But that one sentence... the one I highlighted.... OMG LOL!

#1 You stated this as if it were a matter of fact, as if you have some type of "industry know how" on what a ZA looks like and how people would interact. You're the subject matter expert on all that is ZA, I guess. lol

#2 The word NEVER is what therapists and councilors refer to as a non-qualifier. Don't get me wrong, "always" and "never" are some of my favorite words when I'm arguing with people.... Especially my wife! "Honey! we NEVER have sex!!!" So when I make a statement like that, it's simply just not true under any circumstances. Besides... guys like me "Always" get laid. lol. You see what I did there? Pretty clever, huh?

#3 A real life ZA is NEVER going to happen. Ooops! I just did it again. Favorite words and all. Anyway, it's a show about zombies taking over the world which happens to be completely 100% fiction. So if you're able to look past THAT fact, then it seems to me that splitting hairs over whether or not certain speeches are real life enough, is kind of a mute point, don't you think?

#4 Can you believe the outcome of that UFC match with Holly Holm and Ronda Rousey?!?!?! INSAAAANE! I "never" would have thought that would happen. And yet, I "always" believed that someone would beat her eventually.... in real life. ;-)

Peace!