Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

This show needs to stop progressing so slowly

Discussion in 'Episode 310 - Home' started by ShanesGhost, Feb 18, 2013.

1. ShanesGhost

ShanesGhost Member

I love TWD, never followed a show so closely in all my life and I have NEVER criticized it....but this show needs the story lines to develop a little more rapidly than this. If we had another 12-14 episodes I'd understand this pace, but we got about another 7 episodes total to show the direction of 1) Rick's mind state 2) Tyrese part in the group 3) Andrea's return or loyalty issues 4) Andrea seeing Michonne again 5) Merle finding his role within the group 6) what Rick decides to do with the group ie Michonne, Tyrese

I understand the show is trying to get there, but I feel the majority of story lines are unveiled in the last 30 seconds of the show, and the rest of the show is just a filler to keep you watching. I have a bad feeling that they are just gonna leave it as a war v the governor until next years season. BTW, I'm being nice here, the majority of fans I talk to are getting sick of the lack of development with the show.

2. dogfighter

dogfighter Member

Wow

If you feel this way about this show then you would have went crazy after watching the first season of Lost. If they went any faster than they're going now the show would only last 3 seasons. I actually like the pace that they're going at. Too many problems need to get resolved before Rick's group goes to war with the Governor. One of the problems was resolved last night, Daryle came back to the group.

3. Monty70

Monty70 Member

I respectfully disagree. I love the character development/"slower paced" method of story telling that Darabont utilized. (and thankfully the successive show runners have kept)

4. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

Six or seven more episodes is plenty of time to resolve some of these issues. However, it's been confirmed that the prison will last into Season Four, so you can count on that one.

5. Jhn123

Jhn123 Active Member

With Andreas return it wont be loyalty issues because she isnt on any side (yet), they will just have trust issues with her.

6. Daniel Day

Daniel Day Member

I get what you're saying and sometimes I feel the same way about certain aspects of the show. But then on the other hand I feel like they really rush some other parts and storylines. But overall, I am very happy with it and wouldnt change much if anything.

7. quickness26

quickness26 Member

^this

8. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

The show's pace is fine in my opinion.

9. TheILLness

TheILLness Well-Known Member

for a lil while i thought the pace of season 3 was too fast. i mean theres so much that happens in the prison/woodbury arc i was concerned theyd miss too much at first. but then i realized a good majority of the characters involved in those storylines either already died (Patricia), have barely been introduced in the story (Tyreese), or just straight up dont exist on the TV show (Herhsels son and twins). and as weve seen with Lori and possibly Judith, some are having their story lines play out a lil differently.

all in all i think theyve done a good job with the prison/woodbury so far

10. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

It doesn't go slow at all imo. These episodes are the perfect pace and if anything the others were a bit too fast.

11. EvieE

EvieE Member

The only time I've ever thought this show dragged anything out was taking more than a couple episodes to find out Sophia but even then a lot was going on, we got so many classic scenes like Shane offing Otis and the demise of Well Walker. The pacing is fine and what I like about it is they always seem to have the right balance of drama and action well, most of the time.

12. coyotedream1

coyotedream1 Member

I gotta disagree. I think they are moving at a natural pace - maybe even too fast. I would love to see more of the interaction at both the prison and at woodbury amongst the non-regulars. Also, I want to see them scavenging more - the pace is good - almost too fast for my taste. Any faster and it would be weird and stupid.

13. filthyastronaut

It's actually 6 more episodes. But I have absolutely no idea what you're taking about.

1. The direction of Rick's mindset is being explicitly explored already.
    2. Tyreese doesn't need to become a massive contributing member immediately (they're taking him in a different direction, even more so than they already have).
    3/4. There's plenty of time for Andrea's return and what that means for her, the group, Woodbury, and Michonne.
    5. Merle *just* got into the group. There's time to see how he fits in.
    6. Again, already being explored. Especially since Michonne is evidently being allowed to stay due to Rick's inability to make that decision. She's already fitting in. Tyreese will be in 4 more episodes this season. We're gonna see what happens with him and how the group will respond to his presence.

This episode itself had Rick open up to Hershel about his mental state, which is a step forward. Merle and Daryl's relationship has been expanded upon more and Daryl's position towards his brother seems to have been made. Merle is at the prison, and we will see how the potential of him fitting in pretty much right away. Andrea is clearly planning to go to the Prison imminently ("I need to go see them"). The tension between Glenn and Maggie was given a great deal of attention. There were some conversations that didn't explicitly move forward a plot point, but the show would be a bona fide piece of shit if it didn't have them.

All of that happening in the last 30 seconds? Nonsense. Most of the episodes being filler? Nonsense. This season has been very light on filler.

6 episodes is 4 good hours of content. Worrying about the speed of the season at this point just seems silly to me, particularly when there is quite a bit of material left. And all of this is ignoring that these plots don't necessarily have to be resolved before the season ends. The prison will still be here in season 4, and presumably the Governor and Woodbury as well. It's a long arc and a long haul, but the plot is unfolding naturally.

14. Suds

Suds Member

When Rick was chasing around wedding-dress Lori, I just felt "filler" and fast forwarded through it. I'm not sure what the Lori vision really means, but it's incredibly boring in an otherwise thrilling show. I get that Rick is bonkers over his losses, but I hope this aspect of the show concludes immediately - it's going nowhere.

15. skaaaa

skaaaa Well-Known Member

Honestly 309 and 310 are the best episodes of season 3.

16. filthyastronaut

While the opening scene was very meh, Rick's mental health does serve a purpose, and one that is right in front of us. Leadership of the group is particularly in disarray, which causes character conflict and spurs development for Glenn, Hershel, Rick, and possibly more to come. It reveals the psychological consequences of their situation in a tangible way. I imagine that Rick will be a little better after that Governor attack. And he'll get better throughout the rest of the season.

17. bran

bran Member

i think the lori visions serve a couple purposes. it shows how much guilt he has for not fixing his relationship with his wife. he ended up turning cold towards her and pushed her away from him. i think he always had intentions of fixing the relationship, i think he may have thought that the baby could have done that.

it is also a way in my opinion of taking rick out of the equation and see what happens to the group. without rick they go into disarray. many times rick had been questioned about some of his decisions, glen had just done that in the previous episode about the merle/daryl situation. daryl also questioned it in the same episode, now when he is gone i think the group sees it is a hard thing to do.

18. mothra19

mothra19 Member

So disagree here...it's these small insightful moments that make the show so emotional and amazing for me. Rick never got any closure with Lori, they never got a chance to resolve anything. They had their problems which seemed to stem from him never opening up and talking honestly with her, without inhibition...and the regret over that he's feeling right now is overwhelming.

To me it would be really disappointing to see him just move on quickly and get over that. The whole point of Rick as a character is that he is..or WAS a decent, good man. To see his spiral down into insanity and the whole of who he is completely change by his experiences isn't something that can be done quickly or easily. It's real. It's what really happens to people.

19. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

I was feeling the same way about Season 2 -- soap opera at the farm. Then the "Barnaggedon" scene (name, courtesy of another poster, not me) happened and it made the entire slow-poke season well worth the wait. One of the best scenes in the whole TWD series -- probably my favorite. Right now, they're set up for some kind of a climax -- how could things get any worse for Team Prison than they are? We'll see, I guess. Mazzara or one of the writers was hinting that Episode 312 is a biggie. I'd really love to see them match something like "Barnageddon" or the Shane in the bus rescue or the Rick in the tank rescue or Rick/Glen govered with walker guts escaping the dept store.

20. Dennis00Castro

100% agree.

Season two was heavy on the "soap opera" but it was the right approach.

"Barnageddon" was the name given to the episode by the makers themselves. It's mentioned in the season two commentary. One of the finest bits of television I've seen.