Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

This time for REAL -- I would appreciate advice on why my TV isn't working.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lindigo, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

1. I powered up my Dad's lovely Sony Bravia and it gives me two red blinks every three seconds instead of staying On. Step 1 of the fix is take your tv apart, so No Thanks. But I did see a post by a guy who said the two-blinks failure to start happened to him after his Sony had been off for a month when he was on vacation. The technician told him to keep it plugged in for 12 hours and then try again. It worked for him! So I have my Sony powered on by a long extension cord plugged into the bathroom's wall socket and I will hope for the best tomorrow morning. Sigh.

2. Lindigo

It was working fine the last time it was On -- which was at least 4 years ago.

3. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Try the cheap fixes first, this is a pretty good video on how to replace the power supply (which might be what the problem is, if your blinks are the same as the video). The power board was $67 dollars on Amazon, so it sounds like a pretty common problem, unfortunately.

Best of luck!

4. Lindigo

Too intimidating for me. I think I'm going to spring for a 55" OLED. :eek:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Morgotha

You know, there's probably a computer-minded high school or college student around you that could put the board in for you if you don't want to give it a try.

If that really seems like the right fix for the job based on the codes, you could always just buy the board and put up a flier at your local community college's billboard in the computer section for someone to install it. Offer a case of beer or something as a fee, (assuming it works) it would still be much cheaper than a new t.v.

Or, just give it a shot. You'll only be out a bit some money if it still doesn't work, and it'll be a neat project and something to be proud of if it works! And, if it doesn't, you could always post the new board on eBay for 50% off the price you paid and at least get some of your money back. Sure, it'll be a bit scary to do, but OTOH, this type of thing will seem that much less intimidating once you've done a repair like this once.

6. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Before I saw this post, I was about to say I'd check Best Buy, Amazon, Walmart, wherever for some deals on TVs. lmao

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Lindigo

Actually it is on sale through Dec. 15, so if I'm going to do it I have to decide fast. I already talked myself down from 65" to 55" and saved $1,000 that way.

Apparently OLED TVs experience burn-in faster than other TVs. I'm glad I asked Google. CNN has turned into my default channel, and if we get more years of Trump, that would be enough Trump to hurt the screen. *shakes fist* So now I'm checking the other types. It's been 19 years since I had to think about buying a TV, so I need to do the more research. I have a bad TV radio and homework. Humph.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Lindigo

THE LG 55" is on sale from $2,500 to $1,800, so that would be another $700 in my pocket. Gotta think! Gotta think!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

Ugh, yeah i don't know if i'd want to see him on any larger than a 55"...even that size is pushing it when you combine it with ultra HD.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Lindigo

Now you understand the " :eek: " LOL

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lindigo

I meant the CNN chyron would burn in. LOL But you know that....

#11 Lindigo, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  12. Jen7

Jen7 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what that is, but I just will jump on any chance to pick on Trump.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Lindigo

This is your new thing to learn for the day. :) Chiron was a centaur in Greek mythology. Chyron with a "y" is the company that makes the technology for the information bar for the bottom part of the TV that says BREAKING NEWS: whatever. Even though the news itself would change, the graphic is almost always there.

Because it is a Greek word, the "ch" has the "k" sound as in chaos.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Lindigo

This is more fun than homework, but I have to go away now. grumpity grump grump

15. Lindigo

BREAKING NEWS! Lindigo has a TV with an adequate picture!

When I typed earlier that I hadn't had to research TVs in 19 years, I realized it was longer than that because I won my last two TVs over at sweepstakestoday.com. I won the 17" Samsung in 2005 when no one I knew even had a flat screen TV. I just hooked it up and it worked right away. Hasn't been plugged in in 19 years, because I won the 47" in 2009. So I am even more annoyed that the Sony Bravia isn't working, but mostly happy that I have a picture again, however tiny.

Now I am thinking I could make this a dedicated CNN TV, because I hardly ever need to actually look at CNN, and if the 17" sitting-in-a-closet-anyway TV does get burn-in, who cares. And then I could justify babying an OLED that would be for savored for "entertainment TV" that I actually want to watch with my eyes. :)

Maybe Fry's of Best Buy will have a device that lets me switch back and forth between TVs. If not, I can unplug and replug them.

The 17" has the old fashioned cable connection, so this one and a modern TV can both always be connected to the cable box.

Now I just have to do more thinking about the money side of it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. zombiemom62

zombiemom62 Well-Known Member

Buy an 32 inch and just sit closer, BAM money saved!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Morgotha

There will always be another sale. If you have a working t.v., there's no rush to get a new one. Try unplugging and taking the cover off of the back of your non-working t.v and seeing (with youtube's help) how hard it would really be to take out the power board from the t.v. you have. $1500 will buy a lot of popcorn, and it will be an adventure! Plus, if it's not working, it's not like you can break it. No matter what you do you can't make it worse. Give it a try!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lindigo

55" is the smallest OLED. :eek:

I slept on it and I've decided to go for it. If this one lasts as long as my previous TVs, it might be the last TV I ever buy, so I will go for the best quality I can manage. Then, as the picture ages, it will still be up to snuff for most of its years. The big question in this is how long will OLEDs last. Since it is a new technology, no one can promise anything.

I will go look at this one today and whatever else happens to be at the stores to check if the quality difference makes my heart sing or not. Probably it will. I've been a TV snob all my life. I bought a Sony XBR decades ago when it was reviewed as the best TV. I loved it until the day it blew up. KAPOW. A nice quick death. lol It was The state-of-the-art TV for about a year ad a half. lol And then it was just wonderful anyway for all of the rest of its life. I never regretted that splurge, so I expect to enjoy an OLED the same way.

19. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Try this:

https://itstillworks.com/fix-sony-bravia-xbr-flashing-red-standby-light-34421.html

It sounds like this is a fairly common fault for Sony TVs. Personally I don't like Sony TVs, I'd go with Samsung or for a good inexpensive model, Visio.

Are you a Costco member? They almost always have deals for TVs around the holiday. Target too.

Depending on the size of TV you want, some are fairly cheap. Anything under 50" you can get for a steal.

20. Lindigo

Thank you! I tried many times, but the factory reset command would not go through. I have two power buttons. One for the main power and one that is specifically for the TV (for someone who has other devices hooked up, which I don't since the TV never turned on). So I determinedly experimented with both power buttons and the timing of holding the Up arrow, and nothing worked. I had high hopes because nothing ought to be wrong with that TV. But zilch.

I do have Costco. Last night I jumped through hoops so I could see their price on my computer. It is the same sales price that LG and Best Buy have for the LG OLED.

I know I could get a fantastic TV for a quarter of what I'm spending and a really good and perfectly fine TV for even less than that, but the LG OLED is what I ordered today. It's been about 4 decades since I bought a TV, so if you prorate it maybe I don't look quite so crazy.... Okay, I still look crazy.

The Samsung QLED was even more impressive, but it cost TWICE the crazy amount of the LG OLED. Even I have my limits of wanting the very best possible picture.

The Samsung QLED is so crisp and sharp and brightly colored, it's frankly unnerving. No human sees the world that crisply. Maybe that is sort of how a falcon sees the world. It's worth stopping by a Best Buy or Costco to look at the Samsung QLED just to imagine experiencing the detail and depth of vision other species see.