Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Time for Trump to go

Discussion in 'Debaters' started by Morgotha, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Which is what I said. Do you think the Obama/Clinton decision in Benghazi was ALSO made for the right reasons? If not, you are agreeing with me, and also using "just a dodgy way to use two different standards to evaluate administrations based on party".

I don't see where your conclusion about what I said came from, especially since you seem to agree with it.

It's easy for us to sit in the comfort of our offices and second guess something that had to be decided at the time on an urgent basis. I don't think it's fair to say that because there was a bad outcome the motive was irrelevant though. Regarding the Sunnis/Shiites/Kurds, I don't think they are going to really cooperate for a long, long time, and therefore unless you want to divide up the country along racial/religious lines, any government that's put in Iraq will have one faction dominant over the others. Since the Shiites are close to 3/4 of the population there, it's hard to imagine a representative government where they were NOT in control of the country for all practical purposes. Since Iran is Shiite, it's also not surprising that the government was more pro-Iranian (the people we just made a treaty with). I don't think Shiites are any more inherently evil than Sunnis though, so hopefully we'll be able to work with them as well. And keep in mind that the smaller Sunni population inflicted its will on Iraq through force, so it's not unexpected that once freed from that a bit of take back will occur.

I didn't miss it, but didn't know why it was important to the discussion?

#41 Morgotha, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. tink

tink Well-Known Member

Believe me, the democrats are no better than the republicans, they're just in different pockets. But either way your government is not yours, and neither side gives a damn about the average American. They are all about winning and power, and that's it.

3. rabscuttle1

rabscuttle1 Well-Known Member

I'll vote the day a worthy man/woman runs. So I guess I'll never be voting.

4. Fun One

Fun One New Member

I understand your point. I believe that rank and file Republicans like the idea of standing up to unions and degrading them. To the rank and file, Walker earned a merit badge by standing up to the unions. Now, so you understand what I am saying, this does not mean it will carry well with the general public or the undecided voters. Don't read anything else into what I type.

5. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

It wasn't just standing up to "the unions", it was the *public employees* union, and there's a big difference there.

6. Sharpie61

Sharpie61 Well-Known Member

Being from Wisconsin, and still having family there. Some think Walker is great. Others say he was an awful governor.

The whole public union thing may have lowered taxes, but now people have higher water, gas, fire and rescue bills. Along with a few others.

7. westwingnut

westwingnut Well-Known Member

I think the Iraq and Libyan incursions were made for the same basic reason--to impose American values of freedom and democracy on the region. But you said that Benghazi was "worse", and I don't agree with that part. That's all.

I also don't agree that the Iraq invasion was "urgent". It was 18 months between 9/11 and our invasion of Iraq. When Colin Powell made his case at the United Nations, he presented no evidence that Saddam had given aid and comfort to OBL, or that he was making plans to use WMDs anytime soon. I happen to think that on a strictly legal basis, we had the right to invade after Saddam kicked out the weapons inspectors in 1998, but that 5-year gap points to the fact that the situation was not urgent. I still fault the Bush administration for the lack of planning for the post-Saddam era, especially when it comes to the number of troops we were going to have to keep there, and for how long. I also doubt that there was anybody in the Bush administration who gave serious thought to the prospect that removing Saddam Hussein would strengthen the Iranians.

Our involvement in the Libyan situation was different from Iraq in three important ways. First, we didn't initiate the events there. Second, the timeline was a lot shorter--the internal uprising began in February 2011 and the no-fly zone was imposed 30 days later. Third, we didn't use ground combat troops, although I understand that we had (and still have) Special Forces there. I suppose it is more apt to compare the Libyan incursion to our initial invasion of Afghanistan in 2001, or even the first Gulf War in 1990, since they happened under exigent circumstances. Along those lines I would couple the invasion of Iraq in 2003 with the "surge" in Afghanistan in 2009.

In the end, I can't really say whether any of these foreign entanglements were right or wrong. Japan, South Korea, Germany, and any number of former Warsaw Pact nations are democracies because of American military power, and those transitions were all pretty damn messy. If we end up having a rapprochement of sorts with the Iranians, who I consider our greatest adversary, then maybe the good will outweigh the bad.

8. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Both parties are silly, but right now I'm having fun watching the republican party completely self destruct. Its like watching a bunch of chimpanzees fighting over a hot pocket. And its even funnier because the viewer knows that its not even a popular flavor of hot pocket, but rather something like sauerkraut and Sweet Gherkins.

9. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

It's definitely been the most entertaining presidential campaign lol

10. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

I think Ross Perot's tenure was likely very entertaining, but I was only 88 then, and not following politics.

11. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

12. tink

tink Well-Known Member

It's just silly watching the Republicans alienate large segments of the populace. I almost wonder if they don't want to win.

13. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

With the "success" of Trump some Republican candidates feel as if they can only get attention by doubling down on crazy.

CBS should've just had Big Brother GOP this season and put all of the Republican candidates in the Big Brother house. The eventual nominee of the party would be the last one standing and it'd save all of the money wasted on the campaigns and the country would be safe because we'd know where these people are at all times.

14. Rapscallion

Rapscallion Well-Known Member

Joe Biden is considering running for President. Be afraid. Be very afraid. :zombies_shocked:

15. Strife

Strife Member

Nye / Degrasse Tyson 2016

16. Rapscallion

The first Republican Presidential Debate is tonight at 9:00 PM on Fox News.

17. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Hell Yeah!!

[​IMG]

18. ltomlinson31

ltomlinson31 Well-Known Member

Trump isn't promising to support the Republican candidate or that he won't run as an independent. I love it.

19. Lupey

Lupey Member

Doesn't matter if you agree with him or not, he don't give a shit. I think his campaign slogan should be TRUMP 2016: f*ck your feelings! You know he must be doing something right when both the GOP & the DNC hate him.

20. Rapscallion

I thought Megyn Kelly asking Donald Trump if he was a misogynist was bullshit. Nobody ever asks that to Bill Clinton or the Kennedys.