Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Too Much Too Soon

Discussion in 'Episode 307 - When the Dead Come Knocking' started by Hawaiian Shirt Zombie, Nov 28, 2012.

1. PepperAnn

PepperAnn Well-Known Member

I agree with what a lot of people have said on here.

Oscar is still in a stage where he needs them more than they need him. This is still so new to him and Axel... they have no idea how to survive on their own. He needs to prove his worth. He shows his own misgivings in the next episode. I believe it was his voice asking if Michonne is leading them into a trap? At this point in time, with Maggie and Glenn's life on the line.....they don't have a lot of choice but to somewhat trust Michonne. They don't have the luxury of feeling things out right now. They have to act.

As for Michonne.....I think they ARE giving her good character development. It's slow going because of her personality and non-trusting nature. But I think that's a big part OF her character development. As a lot of people on here have said.....that character will come to light once she is in a place she feels safe and with people she completely trusts.....which seems to be happening now.

I really think the people that are iffy about Michonne wont be soon. Hell I haven't read the comics yet either, but I can see that they are really taking her character carefully and slowly so that we can really know her once she DOES open up.

2. ChokeHldsIllegal

There has been nothing SUDDEN about his transition to becoming a full on weapon wielding adventure going on group member. Rick has had more on screen interactions with Oscar than almost anyone other than Axel and maybe Glenn. they cleared the cell block together as a group and when Rick put a gun to Oscar's head, Oscar said he woukldnt beg for his life and Rick stood down. That was big a moment for Oscar. Then, after asking Rick if he and Axel could join the group, the chaos started he helped him determine where the alarms were coming from and chose to shoot Andrew and kinda save Rick's life... Then hand over the gun to Rick immediately after. Then he had a heartfelt moment with Glenn digging the graves like [MENTION=370]Bassman[/MENTION] said. Oscar has been pretty important in every scene he has been in, and his most revealing scenes about his character have all been with Rick.

Plus all the other stuff i mention earlier in my post about Oscar's character development

#22 ChokeHldsIllegal, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  3. 8307c4

8307c4 Well-Known Member

Well we can have either drama and then it's slow or we can have the fast pace and lack of so-called character development, and it may be difficult for some to see but I understand at once that it's either one or the other and we can't have both.

4. ChokeHldsIllegal

I tried to say something like this earlier somewhere but i decided no to post it because my version sounded too negative and i couldn't find a way to get the tone to be constructive... but sincerely, this is well put. (no sarcasm) the more i say no sarcasm, the more it sounds sarcastic, doesn't it?

5. Voncroy

Voncroy Member

Just to say your comment made my day :Grin:

6. RicksRightHand

I'm glad to have been of some use. :zombies_lol:

7. HockeyMomChris

HockeyMomChris Active Member

1. True, but she brought formula, to me, I saw her a s a bit of a guardian angel. They did secure her right away and eventually questioned her. I know they do not know what she is about, but just maybe they know more than the show is bringing forth???

2. I agree with B on Oscar. He saw how important they all are to one another. Remember how worried he was about his own family when they were told the SHTF????

On the other hand, I think him offering to go also served an off-camera purpose. Oscar will probably not be with us for long. I have a feeling he is a goner once the fighting at Woodbury ensues. I could be wrong on that, but it is just a thought!

8. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

My main gripe is the show doing Andrea no justice & not spending enough time on character background..

Last week where Daryl is sharing his past with Carl was good, they need a bit more of that..

Those lines plus Daryl's ass kicker scenes have really put him in the spotlight in a good way..

9. ChokeHldsIllegal

Yet another example of SUBTLE character development we often forget to account for as important... Choice by the writers and the actors.... : )

10. HockeyMomChris

HockeyMomChris Active Member

Daryl has become quite a hero the last few weeks. He is kind of being a brotherly type to Carl, which is awesome and he just seemed to fall 100% in love with the baby from the moment he saw her.

As far as Andrea is concerned, her throwing herself into the arms of a mad man is seriously taking away from her. I have lost all like for her. I used to actually be neutral where she was concerned, but I have now dipped to "Shane levels" of dislike.

I hope she goes back with the group and she re-develops. If not, then she should just die. :hatchet:

Exactly, they say and do things and put ideas out there that i think many of us tend to miss because we are caught on too many non-factors of the show. ie, Lori being alive or a walker. :zombies_rolleyes:

11. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

1) They don't trust her.
    Also, in the latest episode i think it was Daryl who also said 'How can we trust her?'. Also, Carl was cautious aswell, ready to shoot her in the head if she tried anything stupid as Hershel was patching her up.

But she does know about Glenn and Maggie, and Rick will want to get them back, risky or not. The longer they waited the more chance of Glenn/Maggie letting out the location of the prison (too bad the Governor knows now) - Yes she could be leading them to a trap, but sometimes you need to risk alot to win alot.

2) I agree here. He does not really have any connection to Glenn and Maggie, but maybe that's why he wants to help. He wants to prove himself once again.

There's no denying the first half of season 2 had more of those character moments. But honestly, that first half just had too much of it at least in my opinion. You also need to remember, the prison is not only deep within the 'Red Zone' but they are dealing with Woodbury now not fat walkers in a well or searching for a little girl. So it's logical to assume there will be more action. Though, i would like a little bit more character development for some of the other members of the group. That would be nice.

12. Voncroy

Voncroy Member

Rick's group dealt with murders/prisioners, walkers and now Woodburry - it's simply too many enemies for they to rest and have "character moments".

I do believe though, we'll get to see more of it in the second half of this season before the ultimate battle.

13. Komodia

Komodia Member

I disagree. They are building up Oscar just fine, he's was locked in a prison for along time so I'm not shock if him or Axel would volunteer just so they can be outside and involved more. I think Oscar also has trust in Rick that Rick knows what he is doing after seeing how is fellow inmate caused so much chaos and grief (Andrew). Oscar is showing he can be trusted and wants to help the group and I do think we'll get to know him better. I think part of the problem people are having is that they are comparing new characters we have this season to characters we have gotten to know for two other seasons already and their build up wasn't instant either if you weren't part of Rick's life. Now you want to talk about someone who isn't getting any character build up I think would be Axel, and he is white. It probably all comes down to who is popular with the viewers, not what race they are.

14. hiphopcr

hiphopcr Member

You say that, until...

15. Komodia

Komodia Member

And if that happens you still can't compare it to T-Dog since Oscar hasn't been around as long. I read somewhere, could of been on these boards since I read them alot that they originally weren't going to have T-Dog as long as they did so this also could be why they didn't build his character up. When it comes down to it T-Dog wasn't an important character, they probably kept him longer to see how he did with the audience, maybe thought he had potential but other characters were more important to give air time to and probably more popular so it just came time to end his character to allow room for others but I haven't seen anything that would suggest it is because he's a black character.

Morgan was built up good and was important for Rick's arrival to the ZA world. Michonne is being built up just fine as well and she is portraying how her character is ,which does tell us alot (you don't always need verbal dialogue to learn about a character) and I think they have done a good job with Oscar as well to this point. As I pointed out, you have white characters who don't get alot of play either so I don't get this whole 'because they are black', if it seemed true I would call it out but it just doesn't in this case.

16. InMyBlood

InMyBlood Member

I hope Oscar doesn't die. I like him. Plus, they need a few new people in the group. Like 5 new people would be good.
    Come to think of it, the show would benefit from more than 5 at the rate they are killing people off.:Grin:

17. hiphopcr

hiphopcr Member

I don't know I really think they...

18. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

I agree they are cramming in a lot but I kind of like it. I like that each season is so different so far.

Season one = medium paced

season 2 = slow paced

season 3 = fast paced

I think its cool they aren't sticking to the same formula for every season personally

19. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

they have been thrown into hell. they have no time for chit-chat now.

20. Creepy

Creepy Member

Agreed. What's the body count from Rick's team? They seem to be growing increasingly short of muscle.

Shane
    Andrea (gone but not dead)
    Herschel (slightly chewed on)
    T-Dog

Also Dale and Lori, even if they aren't really fighters.

Who else am I missing? It would be nice if Team Rick could pick up some zombie mashers. Michonne and Oscar are nice additions, but I'd like to see a couple more come into the fold as well.