Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

TWD Has a Bad Taste in Music

Discussion in 'Episode 406 - Live Bait' started by Country, Nov 19, 2013.

1. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Some of the Songs Gimple has used are good, i like that each character centered Episode mostly has a song in it.
    Shane's is Civilian, Andrea's is You are the Wilderness, Carol's is Serpents, Herschel's is Oats In The Water and The Governor's is The Last Pale Light In The West. I did like the Bob Dylan song used in "TS19" but i can'T bear to watch Seasons 1-3 anymore. The Show is so different and so many People are gone. Season 4 almost feels like a new Show instead of an old one. In actuality 3x16 was done in a way that it could have been a series finale whereas Season 2's ending was more like "next on The Walking Dead".

2. Governor

Governor Member

The song was perfect in "Live Bait".
    Here are the Lyrics, (So you can see it fits perfectly with TG arc this season):

The last pale light in the west- Ben Nichols

In my hands, I hold the ashes
    In my veins, black pitch runs
    In my chest, a fire catches
    In my way, a setting sun
    Dark clouds gather 'round me
    To the west, my soul is bound
    And I will go on ahead, free
    There's a light yet to be found

The last pale light in the west

And I ask for no redemption
    In this cold and barron place
    Still I see the faint reflection
    And so by it, I got my way

3. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

I only watched TWD after season 2 finished on TV. I watched them all from online in a row Feb/March 2012ish. I loved the cast and watched The Mist since some were in it. Really liked it. Something unique about that combination of actors. Such a shame their chemistry on TWD has vanished with only Carol left. I expected of course most or all would die eventually...but by the end of season 3?! Come on...even though Loris death at that time kind of made sense I feel she should still have been around to at least have known of the Gov...

4. rustybag

rustybag Member

Thank you, I will check those out! Shane apparently is also in "Mob City" and that's directed by Frank Darabont, so maybe that will more along the lines of earlier "Walking Dead" as well.

5. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

This song did not disappoint for an opening song.

6. Gaycandybacon

Gaycandybacon Well-Known Member

[video=youtube;kE7jVnkrAZU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE7jVnkrAZU[/video]

Best song they've ever used In my opinion.

7. PookieSpaghetti

Well it didn't bother me, but really not my favorite :)

8. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

I can bare to watch S1-3, but you are right. Especially when it comes to S1. If you watch the way TS-19 is filmed, and even how they used to use screen fades etc in earlier episodes. It felt like a high quality movie with some nice between edits. When Jenner explains the place will explode and it will be a fast painless death is very movie-esque. It feels more like a TV series S3+ than the movie in small sections it felt like earlier on. Lost was like that too. First season felt like a big movie, but by season 5 felt like a TV show

9. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Especially withDarabont's original season two plans that were scrapped. The series would be much better off, Dale, Lori and Andrea would still be alive.

10. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

As much as I do love TWD and it is my fave show, I do feel it could have been much better and very different had them things not transpired and its original plan went through. I think maybe one of the best things to come from it all was Carol - providing she isnt offed anytime soon.

11. devinnn

devinnn Member

Found it a bit ironic that the OP is named after the most cliche/boring music genre next to pop.

Anywho- I thought the music has been excellent. I wouldn't exactly listen to it at home or in my car but it has fit the mood of the show better than it has in past seasons IMO. Particularly better than season 2 which I feel like overused the score when original music could have shown a different more variable mood. Even season 3 overused the score a bit I think.

So this season might not be my particular taste of music but I have enjoyed it because it has paired very, very well with the on screen actions, which has made it the best season for music IMO.

12. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Yes, the scene with Shane staring out the window and the Wye Oak song playing was a very powerful and moving scene...the perfect song to really enhance the scene....

I am coming to realize that I can't compare the current show to the first 2 seasons...What we have now is just a shell of the early walking dead days.

13. Monty70

Monty70 Member

Be careful! Tom Waits is the man.

;)

14. Savior

Savior Well-Known Member

Space Junk and The hand from S1 and Hold on, You are the wilderness and Reconciliation from S3 were really good in my opinion, I didn't really pay attention to the others. I like BrBa's songs more.

15. Monty70

Monty70 Member

S4 has been better than S1 and 2 IMO.

16. Prufrock

Prufrock Well-Known Member

I loved the use of Wye Oak's "Civilian" in Eight Miles Out, Wang Chung's "Space Junk" in Days Gone By and Fink's "Warm Shadow" at the end of Arrow on the Doorpost. I'm a huge fan of Bear McCready's contributions, too. I think the choices have all been appropriate and have only enhanced the scenes.

17. Benrai2k

Benrai2k Active Member

I actually thought "Hold On" was a good choice. Especially since the lyric about making a ring from a spoon easily related to Maggie/Glenn sat there. Then as it transitioned to Woodbury we had the lyrics about it being cold and hard to dance when theres no music, and her old town being far away. Easily can be read as Andrea's friends/family being at the prison, while she is now loveless towards the Gov but pretending to care still.

18. TGO

TGO Well-Known Member

Carol's one of the few People in the Show i generall care for.

19. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Chemistry is what makes a tv show great. And TWD had a lot of it with the early main cast.. Killing characters is a lot different in a comic book then a live action show. It just does not translate, because great actors with that special something is what makes a show great. The replacements just do not measure up to the people who made TWD great. The chemistry has changed...and not for the better..

It is just not working for a lot of people. Can you imagine Breaking Bad or the Sopranos killing off half of the main characters by end of season 3... They would have not been even close to the great shows they became.. That is what is happening with TWD..

20. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Wed, Dec 4th. Can't Wait! Frank Darabont as showrunner. Jon Burnthal, Jeffrey DeMunn, Simon Pegg, and Edward Burns. What a great cast that is!!! Hopefully by season 2 we will see Laurie Holden join the cast too....

#40 mtito914, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013