Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Ty survives the herd, yet Rick kicks his ass. How?

Discussion in 'Episode 403 - Isolation' started by steenkash, Oct 28, 2013.

1. volandtitanfan

volandtitanfan New Member

I disagree. Size is not the deciding factor. UFC's early days show that. It comes down to technique and Willpower. That being said if Daryl hadn't grabbed Rick and Tyresse had jumped on him while he was down it may have turned out different. That also being said. Tyresse sucker puched Rick from the start. So who knows. But most cops don't just shoot people when they are scared. Considering how many cops are in each town and how many arrest are made on a daily basis. I think most do a pretty good job keeping their cool.

2. mfinley

mfinley Member

Tyreese can be as big and bad as he want's but if I face him off against an experienced fighter who's objectives in a fight are to always destroy his opponent, instead of what the average person (tyreese) are which is to avoid a fight, intimidate or win the fight by the other person just giving up, that's way different than a fighter who is out to destroy their opponent.

A fighter like that will take on big bad Tyreese and kick him in the nuts, punch him in the throat, drive his nose into his brain...etc... a skilled fighter can take out any larger stronger opponent in just a few well landed blows.

Why did tyreese survive the horde? Because TWD zombies are pussies who stumble along at 1 mph. Most of the survival of the herd by all of them simple was about avoiding those stumbling boobs

3. legendx66

legendx66 Moderator
    Staff Member

because Rick snapped and Ty was kind of lost in anger with Daryl he was on the ground after that. I mean Rick messed his hand up from hitting him so hard. Ty is big but Rick is scrappier.

4. iamnotarobot

iamnotarobot Member

^ agreed

5. Dman1972

Dman1972 Member

this....

6. Porfivor Nixon

the whole scene was stupid

7. inkbaby

inkbaby Member

Tys behavior up until this point has just been the calm before the storm. He wasn't really trying to kill Rick or Daryl, he was angry and grieving and confused and just lashing out. He didn't really care that he was being pummeled, because of his inner pain. He's done with restraining himself though, and the walkers are how he will take out his understandable rage.

8. tallahasseehero

Rick is a beast, plain and simple. I feel like his hand to hand skills get underestimated because he can make it look effortless...but he seems to have his share of brawls. He also seems to do a good job of putting his weight behind his punches.

That said I thought the coolest part of the episode was not the fight, but Rick doing some detective work. He found out pretty quick that it was Carol.

9. tyc94

tyc94 Well-Known Member

You mean awesome?

10. shanewalking

shanewalking Well-Known Member

Thank you, finally someone gets it, Tyreese had disadvantages....

11. sam12six

sam12six Member

That's a bad example. Grappling is 80% technique and 20% physique. Striking is the opposite. Take someone with exceptional talent and athleticism and train him to punch and kick and he'll be a competent kickboxer in months. The same guy will take years learning to grapple well. The example is bad because they were swinging and not wrestling. Even in grappling, there are limits. I've seen a huge, strong guy come into a JJ class for the first time and submit blackbelts after someone showing him a couple of basic ways to do so.

The early UFC was a platform to showcase Brazilian JJ and contestants were screened to ensure that they didn't know how to counter its techniques. It is no coincidence that Royce Gracie stopped participating at the same time they opened the tournament to people who might have some jujitsu knowledge.

Anyway, the only three possible answers are that Ty is a sissy AND Rick is a badass, the writers couldn't make Rick look bad or that Ty didn't have his heart in the fight.

12. volandtitanfan

volandtitanfan New Member

Someone forgot to tell Randy Couture that. He used Technique to out strike many strikers. Anyway different subject for a different forum lol. I just think its hard to say who would win if both come into it knowing it was a fight from the get go. Rick wasn't expecting Ty to hit him and yet Daryl grabbing Ty gave Rick an advantage. So it wasn't really a fair fight either way.

13. BringBackShane

While I agree that Rick beating Tyrese may sound silly size in fights really doesn't matter. I understand this show is Rick's show and even though Tyrese and in the past Merle and Shane were much bigger than Rick, they were all dropped by him. Do I think he really could take all three of them in a fight? No. He dished out a beating to Tyrese though. That was a Rick I never seen.

And stop with the whole "Tyrese is a MONSTER" thing. He's not that big. Barely taller than Rick and built like Shane. He's not huge.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I dunno. Tyrese seems a little bigger than Rick, but not much bigger than Shane. He is listed at 5'9 too, which is shorter than Bernthal.

#33 BringBackShane, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  14. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

Why is it so hard to believe that rick beat up Tyreese? Rick beat up everyone else he fought, maybe rick is just a bad ass dude.

15. sam12six

sam12six Member

It seems like it's off topic, but it really isn't because you have so many people saying, "Size makes no difference. Technique is all that matters in a fight."

This comes from people believing the Hollywood "mystique" of combat training that tells them Kristen Kreuk can go toe-to-toe with a guy twice her size because someone has taught her to fight. People who have actually been around combat sports (or even real life hand-to-hand) know that, outside grappling, the bigger stronger person almost always wins. In your Couture example, to my knowledge he beat one striker at striking - Liddell (One time out of 3, and Couture was the stronger guy. I guess you could argue Sylvia, but he wasn't a good striker, just bigger than everyone he went against). Everyone else he beat because he's trained grappling his entire life. Look at recent UFC champions who have been considered unstoppable and they almost always have one thing in common - they're great at cutting weight. In other words, they're bigger than pretty much everyone they fight.

Anyway, you're right that in this specific example, the cheap shot Daryl set up is more than enough explanation. It just bothers me that so many people immediately jump up and say, "Rick's a cop", like that means he's trained to win fistfights with someone who outweighs him by 60 pounds, when in fact it means he's trained to never get into a fight like that. I have no problem with the scene since a charging free punch against an opponent who isn't defending himself has a chance to take anyone out. I just have a problem with how people are trying to justify things.

16. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

Tyreese should NOT have lived through that many walkers around him without even getting scratched, that's how. The show wanted him alive, so he is.

17. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

The scene was unrealistic, even for a zombie show, I hear ya, but he lived through it because it was a re-enactment
    and I don't think we know that scratches make you die. People talk about scratches, but I don't think that its ever been shown to happen either in the comics or the show.

18. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

I was just disappointed. If he was surrounded by several zombies, or four? Very reasonable he'd get away. A dozen of the right next to him? No way, you can't face everyone at once, and you'd get dragged down. Ah well, what are you going to do?

19. lexy

lexy Well-Known Member

I liked the episode but if that was Tyreese's big reenactment from the comic I think it was piss poor.

20. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

Yes, it was poor, and a lot of people seem to agree.

I also see the entire thing setting up as Tyreese becoming the next Andrea with many fans. First you have the guy shying away from confrontaton with people and walkers. And that's fine because people react differently in the ZA. But then all of a sudden he goes crazy and attacks the main character of the show. This is going to put him in a bad position moving forward and the writers are going to have to be good to work themselves out of it. I don't see the average fan having much sympathy for Tyreese moving forward. And to make matters worse he was still ambivalent to Rick in the scene later in the show, saying that stating that he was okay having a murderer run free etc.