Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Underwhelming, but....

Discussion in 'Episode 207 - Shiva' started by carolsubmissive, May 24, 2016.

1. carolsubmissive

carolsubmissive Active Member

Here's how I'd have liked this show to play out

Problem one is that, In my opinion, the show is moving too quickly, no one is getting built up, I don't care about any of the characters or enemies.

The whole of 2a should have focused on the journey on the boat, building up an enemy (the pirates but a different more threatening version possibly) with the mid season finale culminating in our group overcoming that threat.

All of 2b should have featured the compound in Mexico, again building the relationships and threats. Similar to the farm in the TWD, they could even run with the same storylines but fleshed out a bit more.

However this is where'd I'd have changed it up, the season 2 finale, have a whole lot of main deaths.

At the beginning of the episode Chris escapes and runs off, Travis goes out to find him.

Conflict is brewing in the compound between our group and the residents, Nick goes out to try and find Travis.

Strand is forced to leave.

Travis catches up with Chris and a fight breaks out, Nick catches up with them just in time to see Chris stab Travis. Nick shares some dialogue with Chris before he runs off. Travis can't make it back to complex so tells Nick to go back and get help.

We see the rest of the group planning a strategy to leave. Daniel at this point puts his crazy plan in to progress and opens up the gates to the complex, frees the pet walkers and sets a fire.

Everything is in chaos as we cut back to Nick returning just before nightfall, he finds strand swarmed by walkers on the outside and helps him out.

Both try to get back inside the complex but they can't, at this point we see both Celia and Daniel die in the flames. Ofelia is trapped in her room and gets overwhelmed and killed by walkers.

Madison protects Alicia as she runs away, Madison gets overwhelmed and killed by walkers. Alicia gets close enough to Nick and Strand to talk to them but she's blocked by a wall of flames. They share dialogue before she also gets killed by the Walkers.

Episode ends with Nick and Strand leaving together.

Daniel, Madison, Ofelia, Alicia and Travis all dead.

Chris missing

Nick and Strand together.

Season 3 (If they choose to do it) can focus on nick and strand with a new group and Chris trying to set up his whole rival (evil) group. Therefore making Chris the lead villain in the series and Nick and Strand the main protagonists.

Season 3 can pick up 6 months in the future.

2. Lindigo

Lindigo Well-Known Member

Entertaining alternate universe.

I don't see how Chris can lead an evil group when there seems to be no population of gullible, unstable, English-speaking teenagers for him to bond with. He is more likely to be an Evil Uno.

3. Camilleyun

Camilleyun Well-Known Member

I've been pretty vocal about my disappointment with many aspects of the show and after watching the finale, I came to the conclusion that I would have liked it better if the show instead began with our group being split up and showed their struggle to navigate the collapse of society and the undead to become reunited or something. I think this would have allowed the characters to develop as individuals rather than as one stereotypical part of a group. We should be rooting for these people, not wishing that half or all of them would just get killed off and be replaced with new characters.What we have now is a lot of family drama that does not need the backdrop of a ZA to play out.

The primary disappointment with the show last season was the failure to deliver what the show promoted - the collapse of society. I think I would have enjoyed seeing various characters trying to survive the collapse ( and actually see the collapse) while trying to escape, get home, or wherever, and the people and scenarios they would encounter along the way. I think this is why so many fans like the secondary characters - Tobias, Alex, Strand ( although they successfully morphed Strand into more of a main character). They are individuals with their own story and so we are curious. Madison is "mom", Chris is "stepbrother"...we don't know much about these people other than their roles in this blended family and it makes them seem one dimensional. And right now we're only being shown the disintegration of this loosely blended family in some pretty spectacular circumstances - luxury yachts, secluded Mexican villas, strange cult like characters. The premise is fun but what are the chances that ordinary people will meet someone like Strand who has a yacht and an escape plan that entails boating to Mexico to a compound run by a priestess of some weird death cult? Would have preferred to see characters face a more realistic version of an apocalypse, where they have to survive in a bombed out inner city or the desert, scavenge for food,look for loved ones, learn how to battle zombies, make allies or enemies, etc...

That being said, the show is entertaining. It has suspense, drama, the music is great, and I think the cinematography is often breathtaking. Maybe the 2nd half of this season will showcase the characters more as individuals now that they've split up and it will facilitate a more intimate connection to them. I was unsure if I would continue watching before the finale, but probably will to see where they take it since they have broken up into separate groups. If I still feel the same after the end of the season, I may or may not stop watching it, but won't come here only to discuss all my problems with it. A lot of people really like it and I don't want to be "that guy" who only pipes up to criticize it.

4. Poppy

Poppy Member

Camilleyun,
    Very nicely said.

I thought that FEAR was going to be a prequel to TWD. I thought that we would live through the early stages of the progression of the disease. Instead, we are following the same timeline as TWD. Yeah, they may be a year apart, but after the first two weeks, nothing is different. Good guys... bad guys... walkers/swimmers. They are just at a different location.

After 13 hours of cinematography you'd think we would be more emotionally involved with the characters.

I am sure that I'll watch the next couple of episodes, but doubt that I'll go out of my way to see it, but rather will "On demand" it when there is nothing else to watch, if I am not working on a good book at the time. And like you, I doubt that I would bother coming back to complain.

5. carolsubmissive

carolsubmissive Active Member

I kind of wish that they'd taken completely different approach, thinking about it more in depth they should have focused more on the danger aspect of the beginning of the apocalypse.

For example in seasons 1 and 2 they could have focused on Numerous different families struggling to get out of the highly populated areas. Every episode we'd lose characters but there'd always be one or two survive. This could culminate in the surviving characters from each family all crossing paths and helping each other in later seasons. Forming a group of strangers rather than our same family who have barely been in amy danger, fought off massive hordes, killed some pirates and caused destruction to a multi-million dollar complex killing the majority inside. They've got no fear of the Walkers, have already developed huge amounts of turmoil between themselves, not to mention broke into a military complex and used the Walkers against the living. All this within a week or so of the start of the apocalypse. It's crazy

6. Poppy

Poppy Member

I'm not going to try to write the scenarios, there are people with far greater skills than I, but like you I was disappointed in the rapid decline of society, and little demonstration of what the authorities did to try to stop the progression of the disease, and to contain order.

I thought that this show would show the slow progression of the disease, what they did to try to contain it, and how it got out of control. Think of the show "containment". Then... when the population gets infected... they don't become biting walkers until they die. Certainly there will be many "infected living" walking around. BUT they won't all be biters! After all Rick and his gang are all infected.

So we can see that infected people aren't necessarily insane people. They are disease carriers. Certainly in more remote areas of the country, there will be infected people, but maybe no biters. YET. But the people out there will have seen news reports, and will have heard about biters, and there would have been instructions to kill the brain.

Maybe because of overpopulated cities, biters may create herds relatively quickly. Then the herds may get napalmed. But many burned biters still walk.

The military can show the lack of ability to obtain shipments of goods, the difficulty of getting food in sufficient supplies to the cities. The challenges that go into making the decision of mass destruction of cities of populace.

There is so much that could have been written, that wasn't.

7. QuantumCurt

QuantumCurt Member

That sounds like a more logical flow of events to me. I agree that this show is moving much too quickly. The original appeal of this show is that it was going to show us the earliest days of the outbreak, and that's what I was looking forward to seeing. Season 1 was all of 6 episodes, and by the end of it, the early days that I pictured being the focus of this show for the first couple seasons were over.

The time jump between the military rolling into the neighborhood and then life returning to some semblance of normal was a mistake. I'd have liked to see that period get fleshed out a whole lot longer. There are so many directions that they could have taken that setting, and they just wasted it.

Now for all practical purposes, the 'early days' of the outbreak are basically over. Now it's just a group on the road trying to find a safe place, which is basically the main premise of The Walking Dead. I really wanted this to be a different show, rather than just being The Walking Dead: West Coast Edition. I'm still enjoying it, but I feel like this show missed a ton of opportunities.