Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Uneven scales of justice

Discussion in 'Episode 506 - Consumed' started by batongal, Nov 17, 2014.

1. batongal

batongal Active Member

So when Carol gets banned from the prison by Rick and walks into the law office there is a scales of justice on the table portrayed unevenly. Are they trying to tell us that her punishment was unjust, that her behavior to Karen & David was unjust, both or did a walker happen to bump into the table?

2. Front Row

Front Row New Member

It was a lawyers office, the scales of justice are always out of balance to them.

3. Zombie_Rhino

Zombie_Rhino Well-Known Member

queue the lawyer jokes...

4. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

Good catch, I'll try to notice that on my second watch. I think this whole universe is an uneven scale of justice. Whether you were a saint or a devil in life, you're probably now a walker. ;)

5. ellisfella

ellisfella Member

Hey, I'm a lawyer! Haha

6. LynneT78

LynneT78 Member

I totally missed that. Guess I'll be watching again tonight while I'm up with a sick baby

7. FISH

FISH Member

I dont think the references go that deep to be honest, my take is its just a prop

8. Strawberry

Strawberry Member

Interesting observation. I can see how this may be so, or how it may be just a prop. Aren't those statues usually equal on both sides?

9. batongal

batongal Active Member

Really? I know it's a show about zombies, but they go deep all the time. The law office was chose for a reason. They could have placed her in any setting but they nodded to the fact that somebodies decision was unjust. There are those that look at it as a zombie show and those that prefer to find the little nuances that make the show great.

10. H5N1

H5N1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Of course it tied in with 'judging carol' theme of the show.

11. Thangs & Stuff

Thangs & Stuff Well-Known Member

Well its not really about the Zombies, its about the people in the ZA, how it affects them and how they change over the time.
    So I think that a lot of those stuff is on purpose.

12. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

I didn't catch that first time thru, but I re-watched and as Carol first came in the Lawyer's office the desk with the scales was right by the main door and they were even, she grabs the can from the desk and shakes it making noise, once she sees no walkers come out, the next scene is the desk blocking the main door with a dolly and some cord tied to the door knob and the taped up paper on the windows. In that scene the scales are out of balance, I'm assuming it's because of her moving the desk with the dolly just made them go out like that. The whole scene goes by really fast though and needed to still frame it to catch it all for me.

There may still be some symbolism there, I guess.

13. batongal

batongal Active Member

Yes and I happen to agree with you.

14. DarylFTW

DarylFTW Member

I'm glad that you asked the question but I think I saw that the scales shifted after she moved some things. Still, I do think that Carol going to a law office was a symbol for her seeking justice for her side of events.
    Thanks for starting this thread though. It made me go back and really take in the details.

15. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. They put a lot of time and care into the scenery and props -- and " " ", as you said.

16. sam12six

sam12six Member

So, do you think the unbalanced scale was associated with moving the desk? Maybe it was a social commentary on how people who move furniture for a living are underpaid in spite of having people's entire lives placed in their care. The idea that someone responsible for a family's entire material history is so poorly paid seems unjust.

or

Is the unbalanced scale associated with the taped over windows? Could it be a social commentary on the fact that those who violate others' privacy are not harshly enough punished under our laws?

or

Could it be that the law office and everything in it was just a set, because, after all, Carol had to be somewhere. I guess we'll never know unless they tell us on the Talking Dead.

----

People are right that there is often symbolism the writers and producers try to throw into the show. That said, seeing a zombie wearing a wristwatch and deducing that it was a warning to our society that its regimented, overly scheduled lifestyle is making us miss the more important aspects of life is probably a stretch.

I guess that stretch is a handy tool for people who cannot bring themselves to accept that the writers and producers of a TV show are fallible:

Someone who does not watch the show frame-by-frame, performing this stretch the entire time might find it a mistake that Maggie collapsed a concrete train tunnel with a handgun.

The stretchers may have seen the resulting pile of zombies and found a parallel that was a refreshingly different commentary on income inequality because the zombies trapped somehow at the top of the pile of rubble were, in the end, no better off than those stuck at the bottom.

To each his own, I guess. The stretchers do remind me of artsy people, though. I've heard them do things like wax about how an artist used a certain shade of blue for the sky because that same shade of blue was part of the coat of arms the king at the time used and setting it against the sky was a brilliant method of showing that the artist was loyal to the monarchy. Hearing things like this, I can't help but think, "Unless the artist actually said this, there's a really good chance that he chose that color because he thought it suited the painting, looks-wise."

17. jj_vsp

jj_vsp Well-Known Member

Hey asshat, i was merely explaining (based on the OP's question) that Carol moved the desk to block the main doors and the scales were presumably (IMO) knocked out of balance because of it. I didn't catch it until I stopped and looked at it in slo-mo. Perhaps you missed that part where I said "I'm assuming it's because of her moving the desk with the dolly just made them go out like that."

I never stated I saw any 'symbolism' in that. Especially not the bullshit stuff you felt the need to splatter in your retort.

#17 jj_vsp, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  18. and138

and138 Well-Known Member

There's a lot of symbolism in the show hidden in the small details -- like the ongoing motif with timepieces, the D.C. souvenir spoon, etc. -- so even if it turns out that the scales were simply bumped out of place, the OP made a good observation. I'll be sure to watch for the scales when I rewatch on Sunday, and keep my eyes peeled for more scales or justice-related symbols in future episodes. You never know.

19. sam12six

sam12six Member

Hey dingleberry, why the hostility? I never accused you of assigning symbolism to anything. All I did was what seems more and more common around here and read a lot of ridiculous possibilities into something that the producers probably had no intention of putting there. It wasn't a retort, just using the facts you provided as the launching point for my silly symbolism quest.

It's really one of the more brilliant moves the Powers That Be behind the show has pulled off. They threw in enough obscure symbolism (and then explained it on the other show) that they now have hordes of people constantly scrutinizing every bit of set, wardrobe and dialogue (and cross-referencing those things with the comic series) for "Easter eggs". The more personally involved they get people, the more of a loyal fanbase they build.

This gives the writers and producers more leeway for mistakes, since these ultra loyal egg hunters will refuse to accept that something is illogical or a mistake and insist that there's a reason... but we just don't see it. In some cases they might be right, but most times, it's just the fact that no writer or producer can eliminate every single possibility for inconsistency.

20. batongal

batongal Active Member

Sheesh I didn't think this was going to be a big debate. This particular episode was full of symbolism. If Carol pushing the desk made the scale uneven that's fine, the point is that the camera lingered on that. Sorry but it is symbolic. She had just left Rick and there were so many people questioning at the time if her punishment was just. My question was meant to discuss if you think they were saying Rick was unjust or Carol. That's it. On to the next when will Rick shave his beard thread.