Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Using a flashlight as a silencer?

Discussion in 'Episode 301 - Seed' started by Jakobi, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

So I guess that is what they are doing right? For some reason, that doesn't seem like it would work. I wasn't sure if anyone else knows for sure if this works or if this is just a TV thing. It looks pretty funny, but we finally got to see it in action last night.

[​IMG]

2. Loc

Loc Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

Yeah I get a chance to do a lot of searching around here and wasn't sure if this was covered, but I came across that picture and thought that looks funny. How reliable is the eHow? lol

4. ryannasaurus

ryannasaurus Member

Man, what's the point of the producers putting all this thought into making a silencer out of a flashlight if they aren't even going to mention it in the show. It's a cool idea, and I love hearing about the survival tactics people would use in a zombie apocalypse. But seriously it's not cool if no one knows about it...

5. Jakobi

Jakobi Administrator

Yeah i seen the picture and was like whoa!!! That is a flashlight. I am pretty sure there might be other posts about it, but I spend a lot of time on server stuff.

6. Loc

Loc Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm really surpised that it wasn't mentioned on the show. I'm sure most people were wondering where they got silencers.

7. Bassman

Bassman Administrator
    Staff Member

It didn't necessarily need a mention in the show. You could see it right there on the screen.

Actually.....one of the first photos released for S3 was off Rick holding up his gun with the flashlight attached.

8. Duzy

Duzy Active Member

We have what, 7 months of unaccounted for time? Plenty of time to learn a few things from people they have ran into, or gear they have acquired.

9. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

Rick's flashlight silencer was easy to spot, does anybody know what Carl's supressor was made from? It looked like a tapered aluminum vase or something. Still, pretty cool I thought. Kudo's to the producers for doing their homework!

These homemade silencers would work really well, especially if there are multiple plastic baffles surrounded by layers of sponge or cotton lining the inside of the flashlight casing to catch the sound as it exits the barrel. I'm actually surprised every one of their guns didn't sport one! A silencer works in basically the same way an automibile muffler muffles sound. Gun suppressors can be made very cheaply and easily from many materials found laying around almost any house. :)

#9 Hawaiian Shirt Zombie, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  10. Chaos

Chaos Member

The producers don't need to spell EVERYTHING out. Seven months were skipped and we can infer that all sort of things that happened. You really want an episode where they spend time making silencers?

11. Felicia

Felicia Active Member

Whoa.... I didn't even notice that. They are going all McGuyver on us. Cool... I wonder if that would really work. I bet if I wait long enough someone else will actually look it up to find out.:Grin: Its days like this when I miss Fatbrett. He'd not only have researched it...he'd have real life pictures of the results.

12. Syphon

Syphon Member

Why wouldn't it work? All you need to do is contain the barrel of the pistol. You could make a makeshift silencer from a water bottle lol.

13. LT_Jay

LT_Jay New Member

I think Carl's pistol looked like one of those things you put on dog's heads hahah

14. Hawaiian Shirt Zombie

Hawaiian Shirt Zombie Active Member

I don't profess to be as awesome as FattBrett but I'll try to follow up my previous post (about making supressors out of household materials) with a video that illustrates just how easy it is to build your own gun silencer.... [video=youtube;nxxxzznjXqQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nxxxzznjXqQ[/video]
    I saw another video where a guy made a silencer out of 3 plastic water bottles, some sponge, and a Pringles chip can. That's how easy this is. Again, kudo's to the show for doing their homework! :)

15. mondaymonkey9

mondaymonkey9 Member

I was wondering about where they got the silencers too. Don't know too much about guns to certainly know if it works or not..

16. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

it seemed odd to me that they had these silencers at all. on a semi-auto, they'd need a threaded barrel, and how common are those? plus, where'd they get the drill to put that BIG hole in the back of the maglite, and how did they attach it to the bulb side? eh, I'll just go with it. I figure if you've got 7 months into a zombie apocalypse, you'll have plenty of time on your hands to try improvising stuff.

17. AVC

AVC Member

Wow didnt even notice that one. It would really only work like a flash hider though. That ehow link says to use toilet paper as the suppression medium. That would catch fire reeeeeal quick. Normally a silencer has a inside tube that is perforated.

Even a proper silencer will only quieten the report to that of a phone book being slammed down. But inside a building that would help preserve your hearing.

18. STRINGS

STRINGS Well-Known Member

Agreed! Besides the RGZ (riot gear zombies) , that is what truly twisted my buttons about the 1st episode. They kept mentioning all this elapsed time and stuff that happened during the winter (obviously Andrea has a wicked flu bug from it)...but not one flash back or mention of anything specific that transpired during the winter months...
    Hopefully in upcoming shows this will covered....

19. firstfooter

firstfooter Active Member

I'm a firm believer of not needing to know every minute detail, but 7 months??? This is a lot of time for character building. Just remember how 5 days on Hershels farm changed everyone. Perhaps there will be a flashback or two, we'll see ...oh and in keeping w/the this thread. Those silencers are sooo unbelievable, unless we see how they were developed.

20. CORE

CORE New Member

Someone posted a good link with instructions on how to make a home-made silencer from a Mag Lite and someone else posted a youtube video on making a home-made silencer too. Here is another link with instructions and pictures on how to make a silencer from a Mag Lite.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6455050/Silencer-From-Maglite