Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Using a flashlight as a silencer?

Discussion in 'Episode 301 - Seed' started by Jakobi, Oct 15, 2012.

1. firstfooter

firstfooter Active Member

They are interesting videos. What looked curios in the one with the hunting rifle, was it seemed the silencer was simply jammed onto the end of the gun barrel. Certainly wouldn't seem a precision fit and could never stay aligned with the gun bore. Especially after the first jarring round went through it. Could make for a dangerous device for the shooter.

2. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

I really didn't notice the Flashlight until now, thought they just found some silencers laying around. I mean who doesn't have a few silencers in his garage? given some people really love guns?

Also don't forget that-HELLO- Rick was a cop. So he is pretty good with gun-ology. :)

3. RickFan22

RickFan22 Member

Silencers like that would work on a revolver but not a semi-auto... I would think it would catch on the slide and it would fall off after the first shot, it would have to be attached to the barrel some way. Ricks Barretta you might be able to do that easy enough but no way on a glock or most other semi-autos because there is no way to attach it to the barrel. That and it would need to be lined up perfectly so that the bullet didnt clip anything on its way out of the silencer. and the way the silencer on Ricks gun was drooping from the end of the Barrel, I am gonna have to call BS on that. Its a hella cool idea though, and I think it would work on the right guns, even on the semi-autos for a shot or two. sitting here with my 9mm on the table thinking about how to home make a silencer for it now lol.

4. Morgotha

Morgotha Well-Known Member

They do MAKE silencers for semi-autos, but the barrel is a special lengthened barrel with threads on the end that sticks out beyond the gun so the slide doesn't ram it. My point was that those barrels aren't just lying around, especially as for civilians using a silencer is a crime (I believe), so showing a semiauto with a silencer is kind of, well, less likely than some guy finding a machine shop, knocking off his front sight, threading the barrel of his revolver, and putting a homemade silencer on it.

5. RickFan22

RickFan22 Member

That and the fact that in the video with the rifle, that was an air gun. There is powder still burning when a round exits the Rifle so that sponge would go up in flames after the first shot or two. You have to have a special permit (Class 2 I think) to even own a silencer but they probably would be available in some gun stores. I was thinking about if you machined a rail mount on the inside of the mag light and mounted it on the flashlight rail (which you see on alot of pistols) it would muffle a bit of sound but I am not super sure on that.

#25 RickFan22, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  6. RickFan22

RickFan22 Member

They make subsonic rounds for the Anzio Ironworks 20mm, but that really defeats the purpose... :zombies_lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG1GrVbf5ho

#26 RickFan22, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  7. RickFan22

RickFan22 Member

Forgot about that, Also its nice to see a fellow gun nut on this forum!

8. Casca910

Casca910 Active Member

I know you know this, but most here won't, some rounds are inherently subsonic. Almost all .45 acp are and all (non +p and +p+) 147 grain 9mm. And this even depends on the altitude.

9. John2find

John2find Member

I guess they might have never thought that people would be stopping and seeing what the silence is made of.
    They might be shooting a shot (filming), and to give an artistic shot they might have thought to use silencer.
    Now all "sets" was ready and when each hours counts in dollars,shooting cannot be stopped for mere a silencer.
    Some nerd like me, would have been at the spot , who suggested to use flashlight as silencer and continue shooting.
    Camera angle and focused shot will help in suppressing the silencer details, as viewer generally pay attention on the flow of story and character > than who the **** is moving in background, what dress they are wearing, and counting the number of shots >> "Hey thats an M1911 pistol in ricks hand and it had only 7 shots, then how the **** he is shotting more than 7 rounds without changing the magazine."

they make films with assumption that viewer will coordinates , that somehow Rick has changed the magazine, even when they have not shown it.

10. Chreees

Chreees Member

Have you ever considered perhaps it's supposed to look as if Rick made it out of a flashlight? Rick or Daryl, or possibly someone else in the group, could have easily had the know-how to make one. Google it and you'll see tons of sites on the topic.

11. Real RickGrimes

Real RickGrimes New Member

I thought the flash light idea was great but it's not very realistic especially on a Glock. I own the exact gun Rick & Shane use throughout WD (Glock 17). The first issue you would have is actually attaching a flashlight of that size and WEIGHT onto the firearm. This changes distribution of weight a lot and affects recoil, discharge of shell..etc.. Secondly, the slide on the gun would not be able to move properly since it would be hitting the inside of the flashlight. I will admit it looks really cool but would not work on the manner the show uses it. I actually created a home made silencer for my .22 and Glock, weight is one of the most important factors and as another member mentioned above, a threaded barrel is normally required for proper attachment.