Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Vikings

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Goodfellas, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

For some reason I thought this week was the midseason finale so I was surprised when they showed previews for next week. This was the worst episode of the season for me. I had a number of problems too:
    • Hvitserk just happens to find Ivar. Maybe they'll run into Floki next.
    • Ubbe is suddenly all about killing Odair because he's a Christian even though he went through with the whole baptism thing? He needs Torvi to talk him out of this. Really?
    • Iceland. Iceland. Iceland. Get our main characters out of this story fast. I hate the whole thing and it's made worse by the mystery with the new character.
    • Which brings me to Odair who reveals his name is Athelstan. First they have someone looking like Freydis, and now they have whatever this guy's deal is. Enough.
    • Hvitserk who was a quivering mass when we last saw him, suddenly has a clear mind?
    • Bjorn is very unlikable now
    Appears as if I was wrong about Ivar teaming up with Bjorn. That's fine, but it feels after a season of slow buildup they're suddenly rushing into this battle next week. It's seems off to me. Maybe we'll just have the leadup to it and the conclusion is in the second half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

This episode just seemed all kinds of wacky to me. I actually had to watch it twice. I'm not liking they are bringing "past characters" back to haunt people. They keep bringing Floki up, so okay where is he? Bjorn I'm just disgusted with, clearly he learned nothing from Ragnar's mistakes. Hvitserk - I'd like to know what rehab they enrolled him in, it was miraculous. I can't wait to see how the explain that Katya looks like Freydis to Ivar, but not Hvitserk.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Stealth

We all had the same reaction to this episode, so they've really come up short. Aside from some minor things too, we were all pretty much onboard with this season

It feels as if some new writer picked up the show in the last episode and just sent it off in wild, inexplicable directions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

What do you guys make of the Floki situation? Is he dead or not?
    The last we saw of him, he had found evidence that Christians had inhabited the island before his group got there and went a little cray.

Here’s a kinda “way out there” thought.....maybe this Odair character had been living on the island as a hermit or exile from the priesthood. Could he have run into Floki, who he told Ubbe he found naked and disgusted with humanity (or something to that effect), sick or starved and started to take care of him? Could Floki have told him the story of Ragnar, Athelstan, and his wife while he lay sick in this man’s care? Could the “wanderer” we saw Odair strangle really have been Floki? Perhaps we saw what Odair wanted to remember (and the viewers seeing Floki getting strangled would give things away too soon) just like perhaps only Ivar sees Kayta as looking like Freydis. THEN he took on Athelstan’s name along with Floki’s possessions. If Iceland Manic discovered this it would be their secret as IM wanted Floki out of the way so he could be the ultimate leader of the community.

Any other ideas?

• Like Like x 2
  5. southernlady

I still think Floki is alive. The last we saw of him - I think - was in the cave as it collapsed? After he found the cross? I will admit this twist certainly has me confused. I'm still hoping we will see something of Floki, or what really happened to him, in the mid-season finally this Wednesday.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Stealth

I think you could be onto something with Odair having run into Floki, but I'd be surprised if he killed him. Having an off screen death like that wouldn't be good. Could Floki have gone to England? It's a serious longshot but won't they want to show us what's going on there before the series is done?

7. Stealth

It's annoying. Aside from Rollo, Floki is the last of the original characters alive. You could count Bjorn in that too, but he was a child in the beginning. Ragnar, Athelstan, Lagertha and Ecbert had good exits from the show. They were all significant scenes. I was hoping that they'd work Floki back into the main story before the end but now it doesn't look like we're going to have any luck there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dnae

Dnae Well-Known Member

My daughter's cat, Lagertha.....
    [​IMG]
    The looks we get when we tell someone her name LOL!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. southernlady

Mid-season finale tonight!

10. southernlady

Let me know after y'all have watched this episode!!!!

11. purriwinkle

OK, I watched it and I don’t know why but I almost burst into tears at the end. I knew it would be brutal but considering the Rus never invaded Norway historically, I thought the writers might have the Norwegians prevail.
    Then the scenes between Ivar and Bjorn broke my heart as well. What would Ragnar have thought about all this. Ivar was dead wrong. Ragnar would have killed Rollo if they hadn’t been pulled apart when Rollo defected, if you will, to the French. He never would have approved of one of his sons, first turning on the other and then allowing foreigners to violently invade Norway. I hope Gunnhilde got away. If only she had gone further inland and not miscarried Bjorn’s son. This is all very sad and I expect the second half of the season will be a big bummer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. southernlady

I'm still kind of reeling from it all. I found it to be an intense episode all the way around. When I saw the previews of Ivar and Bjorn talking on the beach I couldn't envision what was going on. What it led up me made me cry as well, I did not see that coming. Nor Harald. Gunnhilde, my heart just broke for her. I like her character very much and her burying the baby was heartbreaking. Ingrid, that situation OMG. While I don't particularly care for her what happened made me angry. It was a brutal episode.

Did you see the previews for the back end of the season?

• Like Like x 1
  13. purriwinkle

I’m going to watch them again but it looked like we’re going to switch the narrative back to Iceland, and that didn’t look good either. Why are they determined to ruin a good show? No lessons learned from GoTs?

I felt for Gunnhilde too. Mourning alone while burying her baby was beyond sad. Harald could be an ass, but I think his coming on to Ingrid and later raping her was fueled by intense jealousy of Bjorn and too much drink. We had that shot of him later sitting in bed, holding his head like even he couldn’t believe what he did. And what ever happened to Ingrid? It wasn’t clear to me. After she was comforted by Olaf, she stood by the water’s edge and put on that crown of dead leaves. Did she kill herself?

One other thing I was thinking about that maybe you could help me out with. I can’t remember what season it was in but it was of Bjorn at home with Torvi. They argued and he stormed out, the prelude to their breakup. Weren’t there several children around the table that presumably were Bjorn’s? Then this season it seemed there were only two kids. Am I remembering that incorrectly?

• Like Like x 1
  14. southernlady

I believe Ingrid did kill herself. I truly believed she loved Bjorn very much.

This was season 4B, after Bjorn and Hvitserk and company invaded the city in Spain and then Odin told them Ragnar had died. There were two small children I believe, but I could be wrong. I still have this on my DVR, I could watch it again to be sure.

The previews - the part I'm really stuck on is when another battle is looming and Ivar said 'it can't be'. Hvitserk said I told you he can't be killed. Do you think maybe Bjorn really isn't dead? I'm going to have to watch them again I think.

• Like Like x 1
  15. southernlady

There were three children but I think the oldest one is Torci’s son with Erlendur?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. purriwinkle

Huh. I didn’t remember her having any children with that kid. Was she ever pregnant by her first husband Jarl Borg? Maybe I can look it up. Thanks for checking into that for me.

I looked it up and read she did have a child with Jarl Borg and that Hvitserk killed him but I don’t remember under what circumstances that happened.

I also read this:

Years later, Torvi kills Erlendur, leaving for Kattegat with her third husband, Bjorn Ironside. Torvi and Bjorn have four children together, two sons, Erik and Refil and two daughters, Hali and Asa.Oct 15, 2019

So who the hell knows what happened to the rest....

#676 purriwinkle, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. southernlady

I looked further and read that as well. Strange thing is I don't remember the other two children

18. Stealth

This episode was a mess. It was hard to follow what was going on, and what was real. Someone had the brilliant idea to have the dream/hallucination (or whatever the hell it was) between Ivar and Bjorn as the link to the entire battle. It's like the writers put us in the mind of Hvitserk when he was losing it earlier this season.

I have so many problems with how they've ended this half and I'm not enthusiastic about watching the final 10 episodes. The showrunner continues to have an absurd love of Ivar. That's where it appears the story will be centered now. I'm guessing Bjorn is still alive with whatever went on there, despite the quasi dream reality thing of him falling. So poorly done.

And we built up Harald vs. Bjorn to just have King Harald go out like that?

I'll stop there for now. Really disgusted with what they did in these last two episodes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. purriwinkle

I was watching some commentary about this last episode. The reviewer said, regarding the preview for the back half, that we saw the life go out of Bjorn, yes, but last we saw Harald he was gravely injured but perhaps not dead. His crown was whisked away so the Rus may not have realized who he was and left him for dead. Bjorn's sword was left sticking up in the sand. He suggested that Harald may have been saved and is now using Bjorn's sword and is the one leading the Norsemen in the attack. Hvitserk and Ivar may not recognize who it is at first and assume it's Bjorn when they make their comments, "I told you he can't be killed" and "it's impossible". An interesting thought.

20. purriwinkle

This made me chuckle....I swear some fans must be dim witted with these questions, lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1