Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Vikings

Discussion in 'Television Shows' started by Goodfellas, Aug 30, 2013.

1. purriwinkle

purriwinkle Well-Known Member

So true when it comes to Ubbe. He seems to have inherited more of Ragnar’s personality. Bjorn on the other hand, judging by his personality traits and the way he conducts himself, seems to have more in common with Rollo, IMO, who it was suggested might have been his biological dad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Stealth

Stealth Well-Known Member

True. They've gone for some visuals at different points on the show that make it seem as if Bjorn is the natural heir apparent to Ragnar. But his actions usually haven't lined up with that. He certainly is as weak as Rollo when it comes to loyalty. Strange thing is though I like Rollo more than I do Bjorn.

3. southernlady

southernlady Well-Known Member

Ah - I had forgotten that!! Excellent point.

4. purriwinkle

Well, regardless of who’s genes Bjorn really carries, he was brought up as Ragnar’s son and I assume it was thought he’d be the next heir apparent. He did have a special relationship with his “uncle” growing up and was in a unique position to observe both men’s actions while carving out his own space.

Politically, it made more sense to rally the people behind him as Ragnar’s eldest rather than align himself with a known defector no matter how much fame Rollo gathered for himself in France. Interestingly, Bjorn has had the same “battles” with his brothers as Ragnar had with his. It’s like the Rollo/Ragnar grudge match next generation. Have we ever been told who is the older brother.....Ragnar or Rollo?

To be fair, while I began to dislike Bjorn’s story lines in the later seasons, the Rollo woos Gisla story arc was a bright spot for me. He put in the hard work and suffered all the indignities to reach his end goal and then just had to go raiding with Bjorn and company as they took off to the Mediterranean. He deserved the beat down Gisela gave him when he got home, lol, but their relationship was always fun to watch.

5. Stealth

I believe Rollo is supposed to be his older brother, which accounts for some of his opposition to Ragnar due to him seeing his younger brother surpass him in leadership and prominence.

6. southernlady

• Like Like x 1
  7. southernlady

Well now I'm kind of ticked - the December 30th date is for Amazon Prime only! Will premier on History Channel on a later date not yet determined. Guess I'm going back to Prime for a little while...

8. purriwinkle

It just so happens we have Amazon Prime. I’ll have to look for it...if I remember to do so by the end of the month, :confused:, lol

9. southernlady

I dropped Prime last month but just picked it back up lol. The good thing about this is all 10 episodes will drop on the 30th, so after a binge we will know how the series ends.

10. Stealth

I dropped Prime too after the Borat movie ran. I just wasn't using it for much streaming.

It's odd that they're putting it on Prime, it's going to undercut the audience on the History Channel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. southernlady

This was my thought as well. I assume Amazon and the History Channel have some sort of financial agreement so Prime is getting it first. My guess is History Channel won't have it until early Spring probably. By then the ending will be all over the net...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stealth

Yes, I'll definitely pick Prime back up now too to watch it. There are way too many streaming services right now.

13. southernlady

I know Hulu is popular but I haven't picked that one up. Like you I dropped Prime because I wasn't watching it. Mostly I watch Netflix. I'll drop Prime again after I'm finished with Vikings.

14. Stealth

I like Netflix the best too. They have a wider variety of stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. southernlady

I don't know if you are into vampire stories, but if you are have you checked out The Originals? I didn't watch it when it was on network tv but it is sooooo good!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Stealth

I'll check it out. Previously I watched True Blood. It was good in its early seasons, but got too cheesy toward the end.

17. southernlady

This one is a spin off of The Vampire Diaries. The story is based in New Orleans though a lot of it was shot in Atlanta on a set made to look like Bourbon Street. It's has 5 seasons. The cast and story line is mature so I did enjoy it more than the Vampire Diaries.

• Like Like x 1
  18. purriwinkle

I watched The Vampire Diaries for years but for some reason was never able to get into the Originals. Maybe I’ll have to give it another go.

Did you end up watching season one of a Discovery of Witches?
    It was excellent with season two starting Jan. 8th on Sky One and Jan 9 on Sundance and Shudder.

19. southernlady

I did! Totally loved it even though the end of the season was different from the book. I rather liked it though :) Can't wait for the new season! Ian from Outlander will be in season 2.

• Like Like x 1
  20. southernlady

I'm glad I started my re-watch - I had forgotten some of the story line from seasons 1 and 2. I was so caught up in the Torvi/Ubbe romance (which I am all about), but had forgotten she is quite a bit older than he is. When they brought her in as Jarl Borg's wife Ubbe was still a small boy.