Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Black Ops 2 Discussion Violent Video Games = Violent Kids?

Discussion in 'Call of Duty: Black Ops 2' started by Sleep Affect, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Sleep Affect

Sleep Affect Member

What do you think?

I think Video Games have little to no affect on kids!
    Like always I've made a live commentary video on this check it out, ( I win the match while talking hehe)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Junaid

Junaid Well-Known Member

Nah. I have plenty of family friends who let their kids of the age of 9 and under play CoD and other violent video games and it doesn't turn them violent at all. Just turns them into spoilt annoying little brats that think they're cool for being able to play a restricted game, but they'll get over that stage once they grow up.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wartyger

Wartyger Moderator
    Staff Member

Will they really grow out of being "spoilt annoying little brats"? Hmmm...I'm not so sure about that.

I really hate it when people claim that videogames make kids, or anybody violent (unless they're psycho to start with, but that's a whole other argument). The one thing I believe debunks that claim is the controller. The fact that you have a device for moving characters around on the screen, destroys the illusion that what you're doing is real. And if you're using a motion control device like Kinect, PS Move, etc, you can see your actions being replicated on the screen, so you know it isn't real.

The same can't be said for watching violent movies and TV shows though. With the level of technology being used for FX in movies today, when you see someone on screen cut someone in half, or shoot someone down, you have a much harder time convincing yourself it's fake, because it's been deliberately made to look as real as possible. If you see enough violent content through movies and TV shows, you just might start wondering if you could actually do the things you see on screen. With videogames, because you're controlling the game, you don't need to repeat your actions in the real world. You've already done it and you can do it again and again in the game if you want too.

And quite frankly, the bottom line is, it's up to the parents to make sure their children grow up to be decent people. Parents should be monitoring everything their children do and deciding what's appropriate for them to experience, instead of allowing society to raise their children, then turning around and blaming everyone else for their child's problems. The ratings are there for a reason, so if you choose to ignore those ratings, it's all on you.

Unfortunately, this is one of those issues that will never go away. Videogames will always be the scapegoat for violent crimes, because it's easier to blame an outside influence, than to take responsibility for your short comings as a parent...

• Like Like x 4
  4. Junaid

Junaid Well-Known Member

Well I used to be precisely that, and I wouldn't exactly call me spoilt and annoying right now. This may be just me, but I can tell you that as I grew up, I slowly came to realise how pretentious and immature I used to be and how stupid it was to act the way I did. Surely the large majority of kids who are allowed to play violent games will eventually mature the way I did... they couldn't possibly just stay as irritatingly immature as that for the rest of their lives, regardless of how spoilt they are. I could be wrong, but that's my perception of this situation as it is...

5. Wartyger

Wartyger Moderator
    Staff Member

You're right. It's only a matter of time before something snaps in everyone's head and we stop behaving like a little sh*t. But from my experiences playing online games (especially CoD), there are still a lot of adult gamers that act like spoilt little brats. Will these players ever grow up? I doubt it...

6. markzombie82

markzombie82 Active Member

My eight year old does not like to kill people online while my friends eight year old loves it. I am a more docile person where as my friend is very strong willed my kid sees no interest in it while his wants to kill it big time and he is even better than his dad. I find this a clue to how the male hormones work and being a more Alfa type. I'm more of a scientific person my self

sent from my pack a punched an94

• Like Like x 1
  7. dutchpunk

dutchpunk Active Member

Violent games doesn't mean violent kids.
    It can be an influence. But also where the live, home situation, mental health, fysical health, school etc.
    For the media video games are an easy target.

• Like Like x 1
  8. flopGOAT

flopGOAT Active Member

I think it would depend on the game. Would COD make kids violent? Unlikely. Would something like UFC make kids violent? Possibly. I know if I was a 12 year old playing UFC every day the first thing I'd do when I went to school the next day is try to put a friend in a b!tchin armbar lol. I think kids are much more likely to want to replicate fighting games than shooting games, for obvious reasons.
    That said, I think there's much more negative influences these days, and I actually rate music up there with the highest of them. People relate to music in ways that they don't with video games or movies. When you relate to the music, it can be like that song was made just for you. You hold it in high regard in ways that you wouldn't with movies or games and it can end up effecting your views of the world. And obviously I'm not talking about rubbish like "if you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it", but with hoards of kids now growing up with "horrorcore rap" etc. you have to worry about how much that could influence their young minds.
    I should point out I'm a fan of rap, and not this BS "money, hoes n clothes" rap, I grew up with the real, from the streets gangster rap, and I even like some horrorcore stuff as I can appreciate it for what it is - usually a very raw and emotional, if somewhat twisted story. But growing up with horrorcore, hearing your idol talking about raping corpses, murdering girlfriends/their babies, torturing people over respect etc. That's the kinda thing that could really screw up a 12 year old's worldviews.

• Like Like x 2
  9. xLegit ScopeZxx420

xLegit ScopeZxx420 Well-Known Member

Half the people who listen to stuff like Odd Future are suburban white kids. Their home situation matters a lot more than the kind of music they listen to. If they've got a good home and family they'll probably turn out fine.

10. otherkrab

otherkrab Active Member

Bad Parents Equals Bad Kids (the majority of the time). I think there are far more influencing facets of media other than video games like Films, TV, music and the internet but parents are the biggest influence on kids. Politicians will always try and make a scapegoat out music and video games for violent crimes (marilyn manson for columbine is one example) and more often than not detracts from the real cause of the problem. This however is just my opinion.

11. Legion

Legion Well-Known Member

I think that violent games (especially visually gory/real ones) as well as violent TV shows and comics can further make already violent people more violent, its like a stimulant of violence to a degree and to people who can't distinguish the fake nature of it, I think that it can help/be a factor in tipping people over the edge of insanity and into murder/mass murder. HOWEVER to most people who can tell that its fake/a game it really shouldn't affect them. Might it make them more interested in guns? Yeah, Might it make them more interested in war and fighting or even potentially somewhat violent? Yeah, but would it turn a perfectly normal kid into a potential murdering psychopath? Absophuckinglutely not.

As others have mentioned , any violent content should be filtered by the parents as well. Parents who complain that GTA is a negative influence to their kids should perhaps... not let them play GTA titles? The ESRB ratings system says rated M for Mature right on the back of the box and while the age of the kids isn't as important to this kind of debate as the level of maturity of the kid, for the most part the responsibility of how violent the games the kids are playing falls not to the creators, distributors or publishers of the content but rather the parents of the ones receiving it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Strange Koolaid

Strange Koolaid Well-Known Member

For me, I've come to realize it's more of the mechanics (feel) of shooters themselves. The fact that I can actually pull off a highly accurate killfeed, the game sounds, sometimes the graphics for every kill/ achievement. I can do everything in this game that I cannot compare myself to and don't get the flashy rewards afterwards. I mean I wouldn't want to walk into a movie theater and hipfire my shotgun at any random body because well it's just mean and secondly there is no reward for me getting that epic killfeed. It's being thrown in solitary confinement and being drugged before entering the courtroom for your death penalty. But that's just me.......As it's been mentioned previously, it's likely the person had some unheeded desire to kill a mortal fellow human being before they ever picked up a violent game. And I'm not sure many would stand up and admit "yeah, sometimes I hop on CoD and leave feeling hungry and confident I could take out my highschool".....because alot of us all know what happens when you make "humoring empty threats" online.

13. Futurelly

Futurelly Well-Known Member

Technically, it's not the game, it's those who play it:

Kids may use the terminology and insults adapted/or received verbally from other Call Of Duty Players in real life simply to put themselves on top of others since they see those who use such terms as superior over the player(s) they are arguing with; they are loud and they get attention. They see it as if they do it to other people, it may make them feel better about themselves. About what people have said about them. It's kind of a factor of a bully. Who can lead to other acts of violence.

14. TheUser

TheUser Super Moderator
    Staff Member

15. RRock

RRock Active Member

People don't understand the difference between correlation and causation. Or, specifically, people that think video games make people violent don't understand the difference.

16. S.Boomstick

S.Boomstick Member

What I understand is this guy comes here to push his you tube crap. Check his other threads. Same thing.

17. Sleep Affect

Sleep Affect Member

Buddy thats a bit to long maybe split it into part 1 and part 2 next time :d

18. esmittystud101

esmittystud101 Active Member

If my kid got violent because of a video game, I would paint his back porch red and it would probably solve this issue. No, I'm not giving my kid pills everyday to keep him sane even though that is what this country is now. Paint back porches red, don't give them mind control medication.

19. Hoggsynator

Hoggsynator Well-Known Member

Ive played GTA since i was young, and ive never once beat up an old lady stole her money and run her over with a police car i just stole.

20. NatureSun

NatureSun Member

This is complete BS. I can't see how playing video games can make someone violent.

I've played games since I was 5 and I'm sure many of them were violent. And I'm as timid a person as you can meet in real life.

So yea, all this is totally without any basis.