Battle Royale Forums

Welcome to Battle Royale Forums. Join us today and become part of the growing group of survivors.

Walkers Can't Float.

Discussion in 'Episode 201 - Monster' started by mtito914, Apr 11, 2016.

1. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

I loved the episode..... but.... since Zombies/Walkers do not breath they should not have the air in their body that is needed to float, so should not be floating... They could walk under water but not float..

2. Neuropyramidal

Neuropyramidal Well-Known Member

They can float when the bacterial decomposition begins to build up gas in their tissues.

3. cdrive

cdrive New Member

I saw this brought up in another Walking Dead forum. Have you ever heard or learned as a kid the "Dead Man's Float"? It's because dead bodies float.

From google search: "Do dead bodies float?"

As a general rule, yes. A cadaver in the water starts to sink as soon as the air in its lungs is replaced with water. Once submerged, the body stays underwater until the bacteria in the gut and chest cavity produce enough gas—methane, hydrogen sulfide, and carbon dioxide—to float it to the surface like a balloon.

4. EZD

EZD Well-Known Member

Yeah,never mind the idea that they are ZOMBIES and all in the first place!?!?!?!?

5. mtamborra

mtamborra Member

This is why the mafia ties rocks to you before making you swim with the fish

6. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

If their bacteria is decomposing their bodies I fail to see how their nerves still work to control their bodies.

I"m totally fine with chalking this up to "they are zombies, not gonna try to make sense of it" because any science applied to zombies to me is just going to fail.

7. Neuropyramidal

Kirkman explained that whatever is keeping the brain stem active, is also helping to preserve the parts of the body necessary for motion [nerves, muscles, tendons, etc].

8. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

I can't remember what else, but something on the lines of putrefaction, decay and etcetera happening at a slower rate. That and how the tendons were tighter or stronger or something, explaining how the walkers can effortlessly bite into human flesh... and consume an entire woman, in one case...

Nick

9. Terminator

Terminator Well-Known Member

Well, if Kirkman explained it, then it must be true. Just like everything else on the internet.

10. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

[​IMG]

11. Neuropyramidal

lol, Well considering he's the creator of the TWD walker......

#11 Neuropyramidal, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  12. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

13. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Chris's mom didn't float.

14. DeeLaurean

DeeLaurean Well-Known Member

She's got lead in her head.

15. Spidey

Spidey Active Member

The human body isn't just some thing that can isolate the cells for nerve/muscle/tendon tissue with everything else. It doesn't matter if the brain stem is alive. If your body is decomposing to the point where your body will float, that same bacterial decomposition would spread to the nerves and your brain stem couldn't control anything no matter how much it was alive. Even if your brain is 100% alert, if your muscle/nerve cells in your arms and legs have decomposed due to bacteria they aren't gonna move.

I firmly believe that if you apply real science, either zombies can't move at all or they can't float. You can't have it both ways and pretend science will allow that.

#15 Spidey, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  16. Neuropyramidal

lol, I firmly believe that if you apply real science, then we won't have zombies. Thus we have to use what fits best. Its a fictional show where the brains of corpses [at least the brain stems] are somehow preserved. If the fiction allows the brain stem to be preserved then it can also allow the nerves and muscles to be preserved to a certain extent, if it wants. And anyway, its actually more the decomposition in the gut and chest cavity that creates the pocket of floating gas. So doesn't effect the chances of flotation.

And if you don't like the explanation, its Kirkman you should be taking it up with. ;).

#16 Neuropyramidal, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  17. Zvivor

Zvivor Well-Known Member

Of course there's no such thing as zombies. But if there were, my guess is they could float because (1) they are dead and decomposing so (2) decomposition manufactures gases which are probably lighter than air-- so, they could float (probably more easily and explainably than they could walk. FLOATERS, not WALKERs.

A bigger issue in my mind re S2.01, if we want to talk play-reality, is where were all the sharks? Dead meat, kicking or not, is going to attract sharks. Lots of them.

18. Neuropyramidal

Yeah, I said the same thing somewhere else. Not only sharks, but all kinds of fish and scavengers. Apparently Daniel is getting all kinds of bites, but the fish are totally leaving the huge chunks of recently dead flesh alone. The movement would probably scare certain types of fish away, but many would still be there nibbling. That actually would have been a neat touch if they showed a bunch of little nibblers around that walker that Nick first came across.

19. mtito914

mtito914 Active Member

See the movie "Juan of the Dead", they show walkers getting attacked by sharks.

20. Biffster

Biffster Well-Known Member

Fascinating. I am always intrigued by discussions of realism in a TV series that involves re-animated corpses.